E.T. Adventure General Discussion | Page 63 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I say “ride” because I’m not sure if Horror Make Up Show was opening day or came a little later. I know it was named Phantom of the Opera Horror Make Up back then. But ET is our last opening day ride for sure.

I think the second oldest ride in Studios is Men in Black from 2000 (or I guess technically Woody Woodpecker in 1999.)

I feel like Simpsons or MIB would be replaced before ET. ET still serving a niche dark ride that almost anyone can enjoy. Simpsons is still BTTF ride so that's nearly 30 years old as well but we have other simulator rides in the park. Plus contract and Disney and all that.

Feels like as long as it doesn't break down beyond repair it should hopefully be safe for a while unless Kidzone plans actually happen at some point. But with Epic Universe it seems hard to believe they would do a whole land at this point.

I do hope it stays a little longer but that's probably nostalgia talking.

Reactions: belloq87
All ET needs is a really good refurb. Take with a huge grain of salt but someone had told me it was due to receive a sizable one pre-COVID (65 mil) but I’d never heard that from anyone else and find it very hard to believe.

To say that the classic rides will never come back is disappointing even though Universal again is looking forward since Disney tends to hang on to the nostalgia more but all I’m saying is that they can use these franchises anytime they want since they are Universal owned. I think Robert Zemeckis was joking somewhat when he said that over my dead body a fourth Back to the Future will be made. I think Spielberg was more serious with his statement saying he wouldn’t reboot Jaws. I think ET should be moved to the new park that’s just me because I know when it leaves Spielberg won’t like it that’s all I’m saying.

To say that the classic rides will never come back is disappointing even though Universal again is looking forward since Disney tends to hang on to the nostalgia more but all I’m saying is that they can use these franchises anytime they want since they are Universal owned. I think Robert Zemeckis was joking somewhat when he said that over my dead body a fourth Back to the Future will be made. I think Spielberg was more serious with his statement saying he wouldn’t reboot Jaws. I think ET should be moved to the new park that’s just me because I know when it leaves Spielberg won’t like it that’s all I’m saying.
Maybe Steven would see the beard on it and want to one more ride as a legacy (and a way to keep his cut coming in)?
Plenty of material to choose from for a masterpiece.

There’s no world in which ET gets moved to the new park. It’d be monumentally cheaper to just refurb it than to tear it down, transport it, and completely rebuild it in a different park, let alone one centered around themed lands where it wouldn’t fit nor even make sense from a marketing/financial standpoint. If/when ET comes down, it’s down for good, but hopefully that’s still a long while off.

I think Robert Zemeckis was joking somewhat when he said that over my dead body a fourth Back to the Future will be made.
The Bobs were 100% NOT joking. There will never be a film sequel to the existing Back to the Future series while either of them are alive. The closest we ever got was the Telltale video game, but that’s not a movie.

The Bobs were 100% NOT joking. There will never be a film sequel to the existing Back to the Future series while either of them are alive. The closest we ever got was the Telltale video game, but that’s not a movie.

The Telltale game also pivotally involved the original cast.

To those asking, my understanding was the Horror Makeup Show was indeed running in the Phantom format on opening day, so I think it's fair to say that it and ET are the last standing "original" experiences.

I say “ride” because I’m not sure if Horror Make Up Show was opening day or came a little later. I know it was named Phantom of the Opera Horror Make Up back then. But ET is our last opening day ride for sure.
Horror Makeup was there opening day (Albeit in a completely different format). It was even open during some of the pre-opening preview days

Rode E.T the last time I visited Universal the other week on an impromptu trip , and tbh, yes it's old and definitely needs some refurbishing, but it for sure offers something in Universal that I really wish they had more of across their parks. Whenever it goes it goes, but I do hope it stays for a long time to come and also whenever it does go that Universal has a good few more slow paced dark rides with decent amounts of practical effects.

When I was very young, E.T. used to absolutely terrify me, so seeing Botanicus drove me to near-tears. I also thought the scene where you travel through that green "portal" was the most thrilling thing ever. :lol: Pointless memories aside, I still love the ride and sincerely hope it gets plenty of TLC during a refurb at some point.

It’s hard to believe that the old throwback universal Orlando rides will never be coming back in any shape or form never according to some of you guys. I just think with ET still standing they should think about bringing back something. Maybe the bobs are in control of not bringing back another back to the future attraction at Universal parks too. I just want to see a great movie ride at Universal Orlando at either IOA, USF, or EU to look at Universal’s as a tram tour ride why not? I’m not pushing it but I’m not the only one that misses Nickelodeon Studios, Jaws, Back To The Future, Earthquake, Terminator 2 3D, Twister, Beetlejuice Graveyard, Ghostbusters Spooktacular I never got too see unfortunately.

I will say, if there is any ride that comes back... I would say its Jaws - but even that chance of happening is pretty much non-existent.

Either way, ET ain't going anywhere and I wouldn't expect any classics coming back. To have any real discussion about that is foolish.
I think Jaws is returning via a Creature ride instead of Jaws itself returning.

I will say, if there is any ride that comes back... I would say its Jaws - but even that chance of happening is pretty much non-existent.

Either way, ET ain't going anywhere and I wouldn't expect any classics coming back. To have any real discussion about that is foolish.
Well I know Scott W said he doesn’t see back to the future coming back to the Universal Parks but out of all the classic attractions which one would you say is the most timeless attraction based on the franchise? I’d say Back to the Future but Jaws is timeless too I hope your right that they bring Bruce back Creature from the black lagoon sounds cool but Bruce come on is more terrifying and sharks are real which make it even more disturbing creature isn’t. People have been talking about well a few about putting a classic retro land where ET is in kid zone.

Well I know Scott W said he doesn’t see back to the future coming back to the Universal Parks but out of all the classic attractions which one would you say is the most timeless attraction based on the franchise? I’d say Back to the Future but Jaws is timeless too I hope your right that they bring Bruce back Creature from the black lagoon sounds cool but Bruce come on is more terrifying and sharks are real which make it even more disturbing creature isn’t. People have been talking about well a few about putting a classic retro land where ET is in kid zone.
BttF is the most dated attraction as there is actual a “future” in it that was six years ago. With Jaws there’s nothing really assigning a time period to it.

But for real, do Disney fans ask when Mr. Toad’s is coming back as incessantly as Universal fans?

Really you think BTTF is dated I mean the franchise as a whole? Not trying to get off Topic but I hope ET does stay to keep that classic nostalgia around. I don’t think ET is dated since it is still around. I hope ET is with us for a long time seriously I don’t want it to be upgraded with a bunch of screens since that seems to be Universals thing for a few years now. I didn’t mean to say about Scott W that he said back to the future would never come back to the parks I apologize Scott I wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth.

Reactions: Jwhee