Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 142 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Planned like a movie production....Notice of how jammed together the News Media is....shoulder to shoulder. I guess they're disposable. ;)....Well, that looked a lot like a typical Main Street crowd on distancing. Basically most everyone was within arms length of the next. So, looking at that I wouldn't expect MK WDW to be any different when it opens.

Last edited:
Reading about the Shanghai opening on Theme Park Insider, Robert Niles says China (Shanghai) is using a 1 meter distancing policy which is considerably less than the 6 foot policy here....Of course, the difference is meaningless if people in either country don't pay heed to it anyway. But I thought the difference in standards was quite interesting. Perhaps that's why they are so close in the Shanghai video presentation. 1 meter is pretty damn close..
Just logically thinking; with masks, 1 meter is fine, right? It’s just an issue if someone takes their mask off; hence the 6 foot rule.
Shanghai Disneyland opening in 5 minutes:
View attachment 12170
Live periscope:
I’ve been watching the live stream here:

Two observations:
1) Everybody posing for the castle picture, including Media, are taking off masks for the photo. I watched two dozen people one after the other and not a single one kept their mask on. No one around them, so it doesn’t matter, but masks are definitely being taken off for pics.

2) Hearing the music and seeing the carousel turn is giving me major FOMO. If I could be in Shanghai right now, I’d be there for sure. Hearing “Let’s go fly a kite” in the background makes me desperate to see a park again. I’m sure I’m not alone there.
Will be curious what the parks will be like with the hard drug that is social media. Which is something post 9/11 didn’t have the luxury of.

Just logically thinking; with masks, 1 meter is fine, right? It’s just an issue if someone takes their mask off; hence the 6 foot rule.

I’ve been watching the live stream here:

Two observations:
1) Everybody posing for the castle picture, including Media, are taking off masks for the photo. I watched two dozen people one after the other and not a single one kept their mask on. No one around them, so it doesn’t matter, but masks are definitely being taken off for pics.

2) Hearing the music and seeing the carousel turn is giving me major FOMO. If I could be in Shanghai right now, I’d be there for sure. Hearing “Let’s go fly a kite” in the background makes me desperate to see a park again. I’m sure I’m not alone there.
Will be curious what the parks will be like with the hard drug that is social media. Which is something post 9/11 didn’t have the luxury of.

With the masks, since they're non surgical, seems like being that close with a sneeze or cough, if either's infected or asymptomatic, might still be an issue. I'm kind of unsure on that. Maybe our resident expert on masks, Teebin, might have a better perspective than me. Plus, it doesn't look like the Main St. crowd, or the media crammed together post, is paying any attention to distancing anyway.

With the masks, since they're non surgical, seems like being that close with a sneeze or cough, if either's infected or asymptomatic, might still be an issue. I'm kind of unsure on that. Maybe our resident expert on masks, Teebin, might have a better perspective than me. Plus, it doesn't look like the Main St. crowd, or the media crammed together post, is paying any attention to distancing anyway.

If almighty China thinks it is ok, then let us wait and see what happens. Much of this seems like dangerous hypocrisy to me, but I don’t claim to be that intelligent on the matter.

One thing that I never ever imagined, and I have thought about it much, is that this resolve would be so messy and message mixed. Embarrassed that it is so convoluted and selfish here in the USA when we have been a beacon of some great things in the past.

Owner of the Gaylord Palms chain on how he sees hotel occupancy for the rest of the year. Tracks with what we’ve all be speculating here

EDit: Also says he does not expect to return to a normal staffing level "for some time", and will be diligent in keeping staffing at minimal levels

And if either UOR or WDW move into the “on-site hotel guests only” like we’ve tossed around; 50-60% in the fall is unlikely; in particular without conventions/conferences.

I would imagine Rosen Shingles will be in the same predicament. Small conventions and business conferences are basically their meat and potatoes.
Yea. I really hope the best for the Rosen group. The hotels from them I've stayed at have always been nice (Shingle Creek is absolutely gorgeous), but it's going to be tough sledding for them.

This would certainly shake up the movie industry but I have to think where Amazon took Whole Foods. Not much change except pricing.

and....the dominoes may start falling......There could be a big shakeup in the entertainment industry....There's some big potential suitors, like Apple & Amazon, that have, for them, a great opportunity to buy, as long as the govt. regulators don't stop them. Distributorship, except for streaming, is a key cog for Amazon, which they presently lack.

And if either UOR or WDW move into the “on-site hotel guests only” like we’ve tossed around; 50-60% in the fall is unlikely; in particular without conventions/conferences.
Out of the ~15 different proposals I’ve seen on what WDW should/will do with its hotels upon reopening, keeping the parks open and restricted to hotel guests only came up once and was very quickly dismissed.

Also, as an aside, other than the media crowded in for the ceremony (sigh), the combination of limited attendance and the other distancing measures appear to be working really well. Way better than I had anticipated, as almost all of my fears did not come true. While I feel like compliance may be a bit more difficult in the US, and the other parks may not be as spacious as SDL (then again, WDW is the closest to SDL, seeing this play out, so far, would make me feel weirdly okay with the US parks reopening in June.

Owner of the Gaylord Palms chain on how he sees hotel occupancy for the rest of the year. Tracks with what we’ve all be speculating here

EDit: Also says he does not expect to return to a normal staffing level "for some time", and will be diligent in keeping staffing at minimal levels

Echos the 3 month projections we are seeing here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.