Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so sure about this . . . I mean, I have absolutely zero clue when things will start to reopen, but I feel pretty confident that when they do, there will still be an abundance of caution for a long time after. COVID-19 is 100% here to stay. There is no way to end this virus, just like there's no way to end the flu or the common cold or anything else. The point is getting the pandemic under control, and getting treatments/vaccines/whatever in place at hospitals and within our healthcare system at large so we can treat it, just like any other virus.

Let's say, in three months, the curve has been sufficiently flattened. (Being optimistic.) Things will start to reopen, but COVID-19 will still be active. There are going to be lots and lots and lots of extra precautions taken in all facets of life, not just at theme parks. If the country waited until this thing became as benign as your average flu, the economy would be completely doomed -- like, irrevocably doomed. It won't get to that point. Expect things to reopen, but also expect a new normal.

Precautions, sure. Keep practicing good hygiene and whatnot. But by the time parks, airports, and the like open, that means they feel comfortable that they have "controlled" it - so shunning anyone with a cough or sneeze would be overkill.

Reactions: GhostHost85
Precautions, sure. Keep practicing good hygiene and whatnot. But by the time parks, airports, and the like open, that means they feel comfortable that they have "controlled" it - so shunning anyone with a cough or sneeze would be overkill.
Ah yeah, agreed about that, it would be overkill. I just mean -- expect the parks to operate differently on all levels. Hand sanitizer stations everywhere, keeping capacity limited for a couple years and only increasing it in increments, probably overhauling how they handle food and drink, character interactions, etc.

EDIT: This might be doom and gloom of me, but I think we need to consider the possibility that the way we experience theme parks currently might go away forever. They will reopen and everything will be fine, but idk . . . it will be hard to get things back on track after this drastic of a pivot.

Reactions: Andysol
so just had a random thought pop into my head, last time we had a park closure was for 9/11. With that brought a whole slew of changes to the parks and also general day life, primarily security screening, metal detectors, and the TSA.

Now with something like this, could we see some kind of general health monitoring at the entrance to the parks, airports, and other large gatherings?
Put a rush on facial recognition in order to prevent the unnecessary transmission of diseases through fingerprint scanning.

Reactions: Journey_On
Ah yeah, agreed about that, it would be overkill. I just mean -- expect the parks to operate differently on all levels. Hand sanitizer stations everywhere, keeping capacity limited for a couple years and only increasing it in increments, probably overhauling how they handle food and drink, character interactions, etc.

EDIT: This might be doom and gloom of me, but I think we need to consider the possibility that the way we experience theme parks currently might go away forever. They will reopen and everything will be fine, but idk . . . it will be hard to get things back on track after this drastic of a pivot.

I agree. More handwashing stations, more sanitizers. I think the "fill in all available space" crap will get cut. A better way to keep the line moving without forcing guests into personal spaces would be to use "Keep up with the party ahead of you" instead.

Then again, Disney was still pushing that tactic right up until closing allegedly so we'll see.. :lol:

Not so sure about this . . . I mean, I have absolutely zero clue when things will start to reopen, but I feel pretty confident that when they do, there will still be an abundance of caution for a long time after. COVID-19 is 100% here to stay. There is no way to end this virus, just like there's no way to end the flu or the common cold or anything else. The point is getting the pandemic under control, and getting treatments/vaccines/whatever in place at hospitals and within our healthcare system at large so we can treat it, just like any other virus.

Let's say, in three months, the curve has been sufficiently flattened. (Being optimistic.) Things will start to reopen, but COVID-19 will still be active. There are going to be lots and lots and lots of extra precautions taken in all facets of life, not just at theme parks. If the country waited until this thing became as benign as your average flu, the economy would be completely doomed -- like, irrevocably doomed. It won't get to that point. Expect things to reopen, but also expect a new normal.

Infrared cameras could be the easiest and most non intrusive ways to monitor crowds.

If they used them in airports, you would want them used before boarding or you might have to reject the whole plane.

I agree. More handwashing stations, more sanitizers. I think the "fill in all available space" crap will get cut. A better way to keep the line moving without forcing guests into personal spaces would be to use "Keep up with the party ahead of you" instead.

Then again, Disney was still pushing that tactic right up until closing allegedly so we'll see.. :lol:
probably have to ease up on those house lines pushing people against each other on HHN, and that would be a good result.

I can't get on board with this at all for selfish reasons; but also practical ones. It's not like they're in in close proximity.
When is the last time we saw 10 construction workers congregating with each other? Ever?
Pretty much every major WDW construction project shuttles its workers in and out at the beginning/end of the shift. There’s no room for on-site parking at Ratatouille, Tron, and probably the River Country resort. There was none for SWGE, TSL, or MMRR (look at Google Maps just north of WWoS). Guardians is a rare exception. So there are buses full of them every day.

Wow, Landry's (Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex, Yak & Yeti) laid off all their workers rather than doing what Disney did and paying them. I get this is a tough time for them, but the head of the company is worth $4.8 BILLION and could afford to at least do what Disney did...

Maybe. What theyre worth could be meaningless. I’m not familiar enough with them to know, but what’s their cash on hand? Disney’s is massive.
If the decision is lay off everyone, then reopen and rehire or go out of business and never be able to hire anyone again, it’s an easy decision.

Not saying that’s the case here, as again I’m unfamiliar with Landry’s business and financials.

Take AA. If they go under, no one gets a check. They’re too debt laden to weather any storm because of all their idiotic stock buybacks and loans for new planes while they were enjoying record profits and not investing in their customers, employees or infrastructure.

Maybe. What theyre worth could be meaningless. I’m not familiar enough with them to know, but what’s their cash on hand? Disney’s is massive.

I think they’re talking about the head of the company’s personal wealth being $4.8 billion, not the company as a whole, with the argument being that the head of the company could easily peel off a few million bucks to help his employees but has instead decided to just lay them off in the what could end up being the most economically unstable period in this country’s history.

I think they’re talking about the head of the company’s personal wealth being $4.8 billion, not the company as a whole, with the argument being that the head of the company could easily peel off a few million bucks to help his employees but has instead decided to just lay them off in the what could end up being the most economically unstable period in this country’s history.
If that’s the case, 100%

Especially if they’re paid $3+tips or some ridiculously small wage.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
What an ass move honestly, like does $10 mill for his employees really make a difference to him? Maybe he’s worried he won’t be able to sell off a few of his properties during this crisis. Womp womp. Pay your workers. I hope hell is indeed raised (although in some other ways feels like we’re living in it)

While I agree with you all.... it's a Fertitta bro - it's 100% expected that he's not going to care about anyone else.

I'm not knowledgeable about unemployment, but it could be possible that firing them all so they can all collect unemployment and then rehiring them all in 8 weeks is actually better for the staff than keeping them "employed" at 0 hours each week.

I'm trying to think of how that would even work. I guess Universal has it in some spots..Supercharged they control how many go into war room or whatever it's called but still in line before that. Kong has someone controlling cutoff in express but again in line before that. Maybe Fallon? At least you're just waiting around for color.....idk. Are queues going to be different after this?

I just checked with a server I know at T-Rex, and apparently it's not true. They were furloughed so they can collect unemployment but will be able to get their jobs back once the restaurants can re-open.

Edit: Here's an article which confirms what I was told:

The situation still sucks, but it's not much different than what many other companies are doing nationwide.

Last edited:
Reactions: fryoj and Andysol
US Treasury Secretary just said that USA unemployment may reach 20%............My guess is that it will be highest in US tourist areas and businesses associated with tourism.
We need to prepare ourselves for this being a new great depression. I for one expect any and all projects to be cancelled not far enough along. Epic universe will not happen for a much longer time. The parks will be cutting coast and discounting to get people in. Disney faces a reckoning for their out of control budgets and insanely greedy pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.