Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Japan also has a culture where germs spread less. Use of masks, no hand shakes, etc.
Well aware. Amazing toilets as well. ;)

But the Olympics seem to have them on a faster pace than anyone else including other cultures where masks and no hand shakes occur.

In no way do I expect the world to shut for the rest of the year. China is already seeing less confirmed cases if we can believe them. Same with Japan and South Korea. America started late, but we’re starting to see people being more proactive about this and actually listening outside of a few idiots. We should see actual treatment options come out soon. A vaccine is still a year or more away, but treatment options will be available much sooner. Biggest thing is we need to start testing way more people and quarantine from there.
And yet, Despite China getting better, Shanghai Disneyland Park still hasn’t reopened. So if people think our parks are going to reopen while we’re still getting worse, then you’re kidding yourself.

Reactions: youhow2
And yet, Despite China getting better, Shanghai Disneyland Park still hasn’t reopened. So if people think our parks are going to reopen while we’re still getting worse, then you’re kidding yourself.
Who said that?

@Disneyhead said he thinks April 15th “come hell or high water”. I’m simply saying there’s no chance.
Ahhh was very confused with quoting me. I don’t expect the parks to open any time soon as they shouldn’t. Not unless someone develops some form of rapid results testing and people are tested at the gate. (That’s not happening)

In no way do I expect the world to shut for the rest of the year. China is already seeing less confirmed cases if we can believe them. Same with Japan and South Korea. America started late, but we’re starting to see people being more proactive about this and actually listening outside of a few idiots. We should see actual treatment options come out soon. A vaccine is still a year or more away, but treatment options will be available much sooner. Biggest thing is we need to start testing way more people and quarantine from there.
It's confirmed.

Also, looks like Japan is starting to normalize... granted there are still some very protective measures in place.

i know everyone wants to go back to normal, but how are these nations goint to prevent future infections? sure, their numbers are low now, but i dont understand how they can keep infection low. by banning air travel?
without a vaccine, how is china going to stop the virus?

Reactions: Frogki
My company today laid off a lot of people. We apparently do "essential" work so I am not laid off. I do not think that quitting thinking I am at personally less risk to infect anyone is beneficial over desperately trying to implement safety policies and buy protective gear for the other people that do have to work. This is a leader in my industry dropping the ball probably because they want the problem to go away and their competitors are no better or worse.. I will not be interacting with a single human outside of being forced to for work. The numbers are going to be worse in the US than other places because of how stupid and stubborn we are. You can say it is ridiculous and that this will blow over in a few months but this is only the beginning. You can call it dramatic that some parks and entertainment will fold and the industry will change forever but even my cheap bosses would bet on it.

Every day the numbers go up exponentially.

Reactions: Frogki and Nick
10 of the top 14 performing theaters this past week were Drive-In's. Most are reporting doing double if not triple their regular business.

My company today laid off a lot of people. We apparently do "essential" work so I am not laid off. I do not think that quitting thinking I am at personally less risk to infect anyone is beneficial over desperately trying to implement safety policies and buy protective gear for the other people that do have to work. This is a leader in my industry dropping the ball probably because they want the problem to go away and their competitors are no better or worse.. I will not be interacting with a single human outside of being forced to for work. The numbers are going to be worse in the US than other places because of how stupid and stubborn we are. You can say it is ridiculous and that this will blow over in a few months but this is only the beginning. You can call it dramatic that some parks and entertainment will fold and the industry will change forever but even my cheap bosses would bet on it.

Yup, this has more or less been my stance. We're just getting started. The numbers are going up exponentially every day and it's hard for most people to get tested. My mom is showing many symptoms and I think she may have it, but there's no way to know for sure bc she can't get tested and by the time testing is widespread here, she may be feeling better/won't have it anymore. That means that if she DID have it, she's a number that won't get counted and i'm sure there are tons of people like her all around the country.

10 of the top 14 performing theaters this past week were Drive-In's. Most are reporting doing double if not triple their regular business.

Yup, this has more or less been my stance. We're just getting started. The numbers are going up exponentially every day and it's hard for most people to get tested. My mom is showing many symptoms and I think she may have it, but there's no way to know for sure bc she can't get tested and by the time testing is widespread here, she may be feeling better/won't have it anymore. That means that if she DID have it, she's a number that won't get counted and i'm sure there are tons of people like her all around the country.
I would like to know If i have it. I would like to help others and assist at hospitals and not be scarred or a risk as recovered . People in italy have been dying so fast they cannot even account for them in the system until later. We are like 10 days off of that or less. we do no even know if Italy is at peak for sure. I wish the best outcome for your mom. Things are going to be so difficult.

I would like to know If i have it. I would like to help others and assist at hospitals and not be scarred or a risk as recovered . People in italy have been dying so fast they cannot even account for them in the system until later. We are like 10 days off of that or less. we do no even know if Italy is at peak for sure. I wish the best outcome for your mom. Things are going to be so difficult.

basically everyone is getting over the regular flu and allergies so it is hard to know but easy to be afraid of having it, a few people i know have had weird symptoms but who knows.
they said that malaria medicine kills it but when people have asked their doctors, they have either said they dont have it or cant prescribed it, so who knows.
we all might have it, this thing was spreading since November, people traveling for 4 months, what are the changes someone has it without knowing...
(specially park guests, the parks are world playgrounds, millions of world tourists) it could literally be everywhere

the biggest problem is that even if you get better, you can get re-infected again, so this is a never ending nightmare, recent reports show that it not only affects the lungs but the heart too.
i posted this on the other thread, but just in case, respirators are your best bet, everybody freaked out over buying n95 elastic masks, but they arent great

lCRI1od.jpg

Last edited:

I’ve been trying to get tested since the beginning of the month and it’s been impossible. Despite having every symptom but 2, I’m not rich & famous and they seem to be the people with the easiest access to those tests right now. Hopefully that changes sometime soon.

i know everyone wants to go back to normal, but how are these nations goint to prevent future infections? sure, their numbers are low now, but i dont understand how they can keep infection low. by banning air travel?
without a vaccine, how is china going to stop the virus?

They really aren't going to stop the infection from recurring. It's going to keep ebbing and flowing until we build immunity across the board. The report that started this all here shows it takes 18 months to get a vaccine widely available, and you'd have to keep schools and gatherings closed, distancing maintained, etc that long to prevent the blowout that overwhelms the hospitals. There's very few countries that will even think of an 18 month lockdown. So what will likely end up happening will be rounds of shutdowns and reopenings tied to flareups. The report showed that a 3 month shutdown would push the next big flare up to peak in November/December.

For those who haven't seen it yet:

I’m guessing that flight bookings are drastically down. I got an email offering an upgrade to upper class for £250 for my June trip. Very temping.

Reactions: LieutLaww
I feel like Olympics cancellation is going to be unavoidable and this is just the first of many pressure campaigns:

Reactions: fryoj
That’s crazy although with plenty of flights banned to outside the UK, that would explain my situation.

One of my pals flew home from London during the week, the flight is usually full and he was the only one onboard.
View attachment 11858

The FAA (air traffic controllers) just shut down NYC airports due to lack of staffing. That puts a dent in tourism

Just want to be clear here - there is literally no way this goes on for more than a month or two in its current form. @Andysol is right on the money here. American defiance will simply not allow it. You can condemn them, judge them, blame them, but people will not remain in their houses for more than a month. Maybe two, if rent freezes and meaningful stimuli are passed.

When that defiance occurs, I expect the parks to follow suit in its wake. The mathematics going into how long we need to stay sequestered don't take into account very real, very human elements, including cabin fever, alcoholism, suicide...

Just want to be clear here - there is literally no way this goes on for more than a month or two in its current form. @Andysol is right on the money here. American defiance will simply not allow it. You can condemn them, judge them, blame them, but people will not remain in their houses for more than a month. Maybe two, if rent freezes and meaningful stimuli are passed.

When that defiance occurs, I expect the parks to follow suit in its wake. The mathematics going into how long we need to stay sequestered don't take into account very real, very human elements, including cabin fever, alcoholism, suicide...
Other than all out anarchy, what are people going to do outside of their houses exactly if everything remains closed and due to executive orders and legally cannot open? And if the virus hasn't actually cleared up like we would like it to, then the parks can't responsibly open.

Status
Not open for further replies.