Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is literally wartime for the nurses or doctors on to soon to be on the front line. There is no coping with this to a point. This is reality.
My mom runs the laboratory of a major hospital in town yeah I get it. Uncle who has serious health issues got tested a few days ago after being hospitalized for over a week so yeah I really do get it. But acting like the world is ending by this virus is ridiculous. Changing sure ending hardly.

edit: Should add, happy to say uncle tested negative and is better and went home yesterday

So your asking for businesses, big and small, to save money for something no one can predict.
“Save money”
-“For what?”
“Something”
-“Well when?”
“Don’t know”
-“How much?”
“Don’t know”
-“How bad”
“Don’t know”
-“Great and thanks, I’ll get right on it”

And do you think it’s just businesses what about with finances getting wrecked, retirement funds being depleted, families unknowing. This is bigger than just businesses its also people and families that feel these things. Come on now.

I know all is going to work out fine. I promote positivity throughout my house which isn’t easy with my wife feeling tortured with what she has had to do laying employees off and loosing family business daily as well as my daughter struggling with finding things to do with no school and inability to go with friends. I own my own business which I thank god has not been effected by this yet and my wife is still working full time but this has an effect on our daughter with a lack of human interaction with neither me nor wife able to stay home. Everyone has things they are dealing with.

Oh and my wife and daughter both have asthma so this virus is constantly something I’m concerned about but both my wife and daughter, as I, like to think things are going to get better quickly and also understand things can’t stay as they are.
Nope not asking businesses big and small to prepare for this. The big businesses should have not bought back stock and we should only have needed to bail out the small ones. The small businesses I acknowledge are largely screwed by the system. You should be protesting the with people that allowed this to happen with no social safety nets. We need national healthcare so small businesses are not carrying that burden.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
The only thing About all of this is that , even when they reopen the parks I know there’s going to be people going but I seriously doubt people will want to go for a while. Or even have the money to spend on a Disneyland trip. You really think people are gonna wanna vacation this summer still?

Reactions: Lucky Planet
My family booked a trip for December back when Universal announced the buy two days, get two days, and we’re still looking forward to our trip.

It helps that our trip is still months away, of course.

The only thing About all of this is that , even when they reopen the parks I know there’s going to be people going but I seriously doubt people will want to go for a while. Or even have the money to spend on a Disneyland trip. You really think people are gonna wanna vacation this summer still?

thats the problem with horror nights too. the danger of virus and lack of money might make things difficult

Since I was called out just wanna respond quick then I’m done:

Not trying to be negative or being people down, we’re in a dark place in this country. My worries may be worse than others cause or my anxiety and I will keep that to myself from now on. But, I’m just trying to be realistic with projections. Obviously I don’t want things closed forever but we need to realistically look at what has been happening and that is all I’m commenting on. My comments haven’t been “THE WORLD IS ENDING GUYS”, just projections based off what’s been going on. Maybe unfair of me to do so however since I’m not a scienctist but there aren’t a ton of “positive” things to mention with regards to this.

That being said if I am being that negative I’m happy to not comment on these threads any longer. But, anyone speculating things may be closed longer than we want isn’t being negative, just being realistic. It all sucks.

On top of that, I start my Domino’s job tomorrow. Very nervous as Maine is being flooded with tourists from Mass, Florida (my WDW source has moved back here for the time being), and NYC. Getting nervous about Maine soon especially the smaller towns in and around Portland and Bangor.

Edit: One last thing, part of my projects come from my WDW source who’s said they’re prepared to not be open much this summer, how much does he 100% know that? I’m not sure but I’d think he’d have an idea of internal projections so it comes from that too.

Not trying to be negative or being people down, we’re in a dark place in this country. My worries may be worse than others cause or my anxiety and I will keep that to myself from now on. But, I’m just trying to be realistic with projections. Obviously I don’t want things closed forever but we need to realistically look at what has been happening and that is all I’m commenting on. My comments haven’t been “THE WORLD IS ENDING GUYS”, just projections based off what’s been going on. Maybe unfair of me to do so however since I’m not a scienctist but there aren’t a ton of “positive” things to mention with regards to this.

That being said if I am being that negative I’m happy to not comment on these threads any longer. But, anyone speculating things may be closed longer than we want isn’t being negative, just being realistic. It all sucks.

On top of that, I start my Domino’s job tomorrow. Very nervous as Maine is being flooded with tourists from Mass, Florida (my WDW source has moved back here for the time being), and NYC. Getting nervous about Maine soon especially the smaller towns in and around Portland and Bangor.

Edit: One last thing, part of my projects come from my WDW source who’s said they’re prepared to not be open much this summer, how much does he 100% know that? I’m not sure but I’d think he’d have an idea of internal projections so it comes from that too.

you're good bro. i appreciate your input. nothing wrong,
don't leave.

Last edited:
Disease Pandemics, regional or worldwide, are something that's not new to mankind. They've always been with us in some manner or form. Sooner, or later, they either exhaust themselves, or mankind develops a treatment or vaccine. And there's generally a large segment of the population that, for some inherent reason, is immune to the effects of the disease, and that often is what is the firewall that stops it. Today's high level technology that is so many multiples advanced then anything in the past may well come to grips with this sooner than anyone expects. Ultimately, this will pass, not without health and economic damage, but it will pass. But, it's not the end of the world. The intense media coverage & social media, which didn't exist at this level in the past, probably adds to and accentuates the negativity and fear, unfortunately.

I personally have always appreciate your thoughts on this

Disease Pandemics, regional or worldwide, are something that's not new to mankind. They've always been with us in some manner or form. Sooner, or later, they either exhaust themselves, or mankind develops a treatment or vaccine. And there's generally a large segment of the population that, for some inherent reason, is immune to the effects of the disease, and that often is what is the firewall that stops it. Today's high level technology that is so many multiples advanced then anything in the past may well come to grips with this sooner than anyone expects. Ultimately, this will pass, not without health and economic damage, but it will pass. But, it's not the end of the world. The intense media coverage & social media, which didn't exist at this level in the past, probably adds to and accentuates the negativity and fear, unfortunately.
Especially with 24/7 news, it’s not like everyone is waiting until 6:30 evening news to find out what’s going on, we’re finding out in real time all throughout the days.

In an effort to steer this back toward the entertainment industry...

It's not a coincidence that Walt Disney World is presently accepting reservations for June 1st and beyond; Trump mentioned (as some have pointed out) that they expect to see the economy "resuming" (or some equivalent) by June 1st. Corporations of Disney's size are no doubt privy to the internal government projections that will continue to affect their business.

Granted, this could still change. Florida and several other states' refusal to do an actual lockdown means we're more likely to see "burn through" scenarios than the flattening of the curve underway in Seattle, Los Angeles, NYC, etc. But most are now predicting the peak sometime in mid to late April.

I know DisTwitter was making fun of this a couple weeks ago, but the parks closures will affect all of the theme park community websites.

@Brian G., let us know if Inside Universal is falling on hard times and how we can help keep this place afloat!

I can't speak for Brian but I will say a lot of fan sites get a lot of their money from pairing up with a travel partner or hosting events. There's a reason why a lot of sites have forms at the bottom of articles and on the main page to request a quote. IU doesn't do this and instead relies on advertising dollars which while lower is more stable.

If you wish to support the site in a more direct way consider becoming a Premium or VIP member: http://forums.insideuniversal.net/account/upgrades

So grain of salt rumor, but apparently Disney IS considering releasing Mulan and Black Widow to VOD (not Disney+). I wouldn't have even thought this was a possiblity even as recently as yesterday, but the more I think about it, the more it becomes impossible to just push off every movie - the slate is gonna be jam packed from just Disney movies when theaters reopen if they hold everything, never mind the rest of the industry. Disney is desperate to save money and recoup all the money they can right now, and they've already run the marketing campaigns for Mulan and a lot for Black Widow (if moved back, they'd have to dump more into marketing).

China tried to reopen their theaters and they had to close again. Things aren't going well and I don't think we'll see theaters open until the fall at this point. Maybe they decide to move back the entire Marvel slate and slip Black Widow into The Eternals spot, but that still leaves them with big problems elsewhere. Lots of things are going to have to get dumped to VOD and then Disney+ or Hulu. You guys have to remember that they don't just have their Disney slate, but a large 20th Century slate as well to deal with.

Basically it's just common sense that some things are gonna be forced onto VOD with Disney juggling about 28 theatrical films this year between Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel, 20th Century and Searchlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.