Epic Universe Ticketing Speculation | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Epic Universe Ticketing Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Re: Tickets - If only there were a Universal Orlando park that opened in the last decade that we could use as a barometer... :shrug:
Is it wise to use VB though as a reference point? That had a tight construction window that didn't provide the opportunity for a significant test/adjust period. Water slides were a mess with different different operational guidelines changing almost on a weekly basis when it came to tubes/etc.

Not too mention the capacity/tech issues and the fact that VB is 1/6 the attendance of a dry park.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Is it wise to use VB though as a reference point? That had a tight construction window that didn't provide the opportunity for a significant test/adjust period. Water slides were a mess with different different operational guidelines changing almost on a weekly basis when it came to tubes/etc.

Not too mention the capacity/tech issues and the fact that VB is 1/6 the attendance of a dry park.

What does that have to do with the price of tickets?

What does that have to do with the price of tickets?
You can't really use VB as any sort of reference since it's priced far lower than IOA/USF and didn't offer a significant preview period.

There are a lot of factors at play that will influence the pricing/demand for an Epic Universe AP/Single-Day tickets. If the idea of blocking out APs for the first few months are true, the value of an AP would decrease that first year, and single-day/multi-day passes' value would increase.

I'm sure lots of folks are going to wait on renewing their AP if they can't get Epic included.

You can't really use VB as any sort of reference since it's priced far lower than IOA/USF and didn't offer a significant preview period.

There are a lot of factors at play that will influence the pricing/demand for an Epic Universe AP/Single-Day tickets. If the idea of blocking out APs for the first few months are true, the value of an AP would decrease that first year, and single-day/multi-day passes' value would increase.

I'm sure lots of folks are going to wait on renewing their AP if they can't get Epic included.

Ok. Let me try again...

Everyone was overcomplicating the discussion for tickets and passes when VB was about to open, and it ended up being a lot more simpler than everyone anticipated and speculated.

Furthmore, because of the lack of preview period, it bit them in the butt.

See where I'm going...

Everyone was overcomplicating the discussion for tickets and passes when VB was about to open, and it ended up being a lot more simpler than everyone anticipated and speculated.

See where I'm going...
I'm expecting tickets to be simple, I'm talking more about pricing and how VB's pricing structure can't be compared to a dry park.

I'm more worried about blockouts and any preview/testing window for the park itself and how Universal announces everything. So far they've done a great job announcing things, just worried they'll botch the ticket/AP announcement.

Based on the VB thread, it looks like Universal only revealed ticket pricing about 2 months in advance (Opened May 25th, tickets revealed March 30th). Correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of 3-day tickets, VB tickets/pricing were mostly unknown until March.

I'm more worried about blockouts and any preview/testing window for the park itself and how Universal announces everything. So far they've done a great job announcing things, just worried they'll botch the ticket/AP announcement.
Obviously worry about what you want, but it seems the hints I’ve seen dropped indicate we won’t need to worry about ticket details being dropped last minute. They’ll certainly be announced in a weird way, but that’s par for the course.

Reactions: Brian G.
There will be a preview period, just like there was for IoA. It will be open to Employees and workers involved in the construction of Epic. IoA did it. Animal Kingdom did it. It happens for every major “dry-park” expansion in the world. It confirms operational capabilities AFTER confirming rides work.

MAYBE AP holders will get a preview week they can reserve.

Water parks, because of their smaller scale and need for actual people to test the rides themselves, have to just go for it. Wet parks rarely do extended previews because they don’t really draw enough people to be worth wild. Water parks have to max attendance.

That said, the first 3-6 months for Epic will likely be blacked out for most AP holders. Expect it.

How different is it from HHN offering a premium night? A really bad operations nightmare can turn the event sideways before it even starts and bad mouth the entire run.

Unlike HHN, they can easily do a significant TM & Friends preview window, and then work out any issues prior to letting bloggers and APs visit for their preview window and any sort of premium offerings.
HHN is a known event that doesn't require new ride operations. It is in a known park with known food vendors. It is so much easier to have a smooth operations night that early compared to a brand new park.
Ok. Let me try again...

See where I'm going...
I assume they will want a preview period to not have a repeat of VB?
There will be a preview period, just like there was for IoA. It will be open to Employees and workers involved in the construction of Epic. IoA did it. Animal Kingdom did it. It happens for every major “dry-park” expansion in the world. It confirms operational capabilities AFTER confirming rides work.

MAYBE AP holders will get a preview week they can reserve.

Water parks, because of their smaller scale and need for actual people to test the rides themselves, have to just go for it. Wet parks rarely do extended previews because they don’t really draw enough people to be worth wild. Water parks have to max attendance.

That said, the first 3-6 months for Epic will likely be blacked out for most AP holders. Expect it.
You really think AP holders will only get a week if anything at all? I expected softs to be at least a month so they can get their crap in order for grand opening so they get good PR from the start. I think it will be a PR nightmare if APs get no preview and blacked out for 6 months. That just seems insane to me.

You really think AP holders will only get a week if anything at all? I expected softs to be at least a month so they can get their crap in order for grand opening so they get good PR from the start. I think it will be a PR nightmare if APs get no preview and blacked out for 6 months. That just seems insane to me.
Universal has no actual incentive to let AP holders flood their new park, especially AP holders who did not pay for access to a theme park that was not included in the AP agreement in the first place. Universal’s preference is to maximize profits when the park is at its newest, which means limiting free admission beyond what is necessary.

I don’t foresee Universal granting APs access to Epic beyond the barest minimum simply to say they did. Universal knows people will want to attend Epic in its first year. So Universal will make as many people as possible, including APs, pay for the honor.

Universal has no actual incentive to let AP holders flood their new park, especially AP holders who did not pay for access to a theme park that was not included in the AP agreement in the first place. Universal’s preference is to maximize profits when the park is at its newest, which means limiting free admission beyond what is necessary.
And we all know how APs are completely happy with everything and never publicly complain at all when things go wrong!

;)

And we all know how APs are completely happy with everything and never publicly complain at all when things go wrong!

;)
But, legitimately, who comes out looking worse, the company who never promises access to something - and likely goes out of their way say access won’t be guaranteed - or the consumers who demand access to something they were never promised?

Who really wins that optics war?

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Its interesting to see AP's think they would be able to go into the parks when it opens

I have a MK at Disneyland if a third gate opened, Id assume Id still only be able to go to 2 parks until they update the prices and structure

My plan is to stay at a hotel that gives me express for one of the two current parks open...what are the chances they give the same benefits for Epic? I assume low but wanted to ask

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
But, legitimately, who comes out looking worse, the company who never promises access to something - and likely goes out of their way say access won’t be guaranteed - or the consumers who demand access to something they were never promised?

Who really wins that optics war?
APs can be a very entitled species!

- me, an AP

• Haha
Reactions: IzzyB
Universal knows people will want to attend Epic in its first year. So Universal will make as many people as possible, including APs, pay for the honor.
Disney had this same mentality with SWGE, and people didn't show up until cheaper/APs were unblocked.

I don't think anybody on here is saying that current AP holders should receive (or entitled) access to Epic Universe with their current pass. I'm just hoping I can upgrade next year to include Epic, and be ok with blockouts the first few weeks.

Reactions: IzzyB
If the Ministry of Magic ride doesn’t open with the park, I think this will be a more apt comparison.
It's not a 1:1 comparison, but it's close. I think a "support base" of APs with 3-park passes that can be "unblocked" on lower attended days to keep Epic busy is a far better strategy than simply blocking them out entirely. A temporary use of park reservations for APs is my preferred choice over not being allowed in at all.

Yeah, No one who has a current AP will get in free to EU after it is open. Is there a chance for Softs for AP's? sure. Maybe free, maybe for a fee. Is there a chance for new AP's that will be good at EU? Yes. But they are absolutely not granting a current AP access to EU for what they've already paid. Not sure if anyone is actually thinking they would though.

I don’t foresee Universal granting APs access to Epic beyond the barest minimum simply to say they did. Universal knows people will want to attend Epic in its first year. So Universal will make as many people as possible, including APs, pay for the honor.
I think it would be CRAZY to not let you upgrade your AP to 3 or 4-park access right when Epic opens. That’s an easy, easy revenue stream to capitalize on right before opening as the hype machine ramps up.

If you’re upgrading from a 2-Park Power to a 3-Park Power, then sure you’ll be blacked out for a while. I could see Preferred having some blackouts the first year or two as well, like Volcano Bay managed to have a different blockout schedule. But I’d be shocked if there’s not a top-of-the-line upgrade option that an existing AP could pay for to get access to the park immediately.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Disney had this same mentality with SWGE, and people didn't show up until cheaper/APs were unblocked.

I don't think anybody on here is saying that current AP holders should receive (or entitled) access to Epic Universe with their current pass. I'm just hoping I can upgrade next year to include Epic, and be ok with blockouts the first few weeks.
Well 12 attractions, most of which are brand spanking new, is a whole lot more than 2. Expecting people to pay full theme park prices for 2 new rides requires a whole lot more hubris than a whole_ass new park.

Little bit different there.