FlexPay Increase | Inside Universal Forums

FlexPay Increase

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 4, 2013
Tampa
This one stings a little. Just received an email, each monthly payment is nearly doubled.

Previously:
Power: $11
Preferred: $15
Premier:$21

Now:
Power: $19.08
Preferred: $26.62
Premier:$38.16

I know this is another topic but...

When you call to renew a power pass, it comes out to be $170. When you do it online, its $140. Don't know why.

I just renewed my wife's power pass online and it was $170 there as well.

Is it really for the power pass? I just renewed my Preferred pass online and it was $159 + tax (~$170). Second year in a row and that exact price point. Odd thing is, they sent an expiration notice in the mail with a renewal rate showing $225 :saywhat:

I called and the Universal employee said that the AP prices increased August 1st. However, when renewing online, as of yesterday, the power pass was $140 total. When I called it was going for $170. Idk whats going on with their prices.

That increase on flexpay don't make since. When you 1st buy on flex pay you make a down payment, then monthly payments. when the time comes for renewal it would be at renewal price, not full price. hence 12 payments at renewal price. I have been on flex pay since 04.currently at 15.97 a month(191.64) a lttle more than renewal. I have a preferred pass.
If you pay 26.62 a month for flex pay you are basically buying a full cost pass
every year, without the perk of renewing at a discount.

That increase on flexpay don't make since. When you 1st buy on flex pay you make a down payment, then monthly payments. when the time comes for renewal it would be at renewal price, not full price. hence 12 payments at renewal price. I have been on flex pay since 04.currently at 15.97 a month(191.64) a lttle more than renewal. I have a preferred pass.
If you pay 26.62 a month for flex pay you are basically buying a full cost pass
every year, without the perk of renewing at a discount.

I thought that was exactly how it worked. You use flex pay, you pay for a full price ticket at the time you bought in (divided by 12) and that amount never changes (aside from the correction at the start of the second year to make up for the lack of down payment). Renewal prices require full payment up front, and are cheaper than a full price ticket on your renewal date but are also subject to whatever yearly increase occurs.

Theoretically flex pay is a better deal long term if you maintain it long enough for renewal prices to increase above whatever price you have locked in with flexpay.

I think their system is messed up right now. A new preferred pass is $299 and the renew rate is $225. Last week I renewed and the webpage said it would be $225 but then in my cart it was the old renew price of $159+tax. I remember the rates going up back in aprilish? and was bummed that I could tack on a year before the prices went up since you can only renew in that 1 month window before/after. So I'm curious since I got the lower rate are pass holders from before the rate increase grandfathered in? Or was it just some glitch? I guess I'll have to wait a year to find out.

I've had my current pass since June 2012 (was $230 back then new and got the 15 month promo ) and have always renewed it for 159 plus tax (~170). I was ready for the increase and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't.

I mean here is the renewal page when you log in with your pass. I renewed my preferred pass for the price of the power pass renewal. And I carefully checked to make sure I wasn't getting downgraded to a power pass.

Ifhcq4u.png

Reactions: neoshinok
I have often heard folks say that your rate gets locked in on flex pay and that was the option I had used when we first got passes. I recall reading in the agreement that when the term was up, it would auto renew on a month by month basis.

When we went to month to month, the rate I was paying was the price at the time divided by 12, so we weren't seeing a renewal rate. When I had the funds, I went to guest services and was able to pay in full for new passes at a renewal rate, at that time, I had a preferred while my wife and daughter had power passes, the renewal rate was so good that I up graded them to preferred.

Not sure what I had done wrong back then, but it seemed we did not get the renewal savings until we started paying in full as opposed to using flex pay....maybe I was supposed to renew for a new term to get a renew rate and I had just left it on the month to month term?!?

Last edited:
What is curious is when I finally let my passes at Disney and Universal expire, neither attempted to beg me to renew. No mini promotions, auto emails, no nothing. I found that an odd business choice. Has that changed at all?

I got th
What is curious is when I finally let my passes at Disney and Universal expire, neither attempted to beg me to renew. No mini promotions, auto emails, no nothing. I found that an odd business choice. Has that changed at all?
Email from uni about 15 days before expiration. Check your email on file or spam.