Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 108 37.4%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 181 62.6%

• Total voters
IMO, there are two ideal locations for an Mosasaur.
1) Where the boats are knocked off path. Just have a mouth capable of rising out of the water and sending a ripple.
2) In the lift hill
1) would actually be perfect. Makes a lot of sense fitting into the story and would likely be fairly easy to implement.

Am I the only one that wants to see some raptors OUTSIDE of the show building?

I think all the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World stuff is really inconsequential to most guests. I've seen all the movies and they all have the same common denominator-- dinosaurs in a zoo rampage. It really doesn't matter whether the aesthetic or the particular species are from one movie or another. It's the same storyline over and over. I get it would be nice to make the whole land more cohesive and conform closer to the most recent films, but to most guests it really doesn't matter, it's just dinosaurs run amuck.

I think all the Jurassic Park/Jurassic World stuff is really inconsequential to most guests. I've seen all the movies and they all have the same common denominator-- dinosaurs in a zoo rampage. It really doesn't matter whether the aesthetic or the particular species are from one movie or another. It's the same storyline over and over. I get it would be nice to make the whole land more cohesive and conform closer to the most recent films, but to most guests it really doesn't matter, it's just dinosaurs run amuck.
This....Even someone like me that's an out of state AP holder that goes to the parks often, I couldn't care less about the JP/JW argument , and I wouldn't even notice the difference. I bet most of the GP feels the same.

I heard a rumor recently that near the Velocicoaster exit station you can hear Claire's voice saying Owen was needed by the River Adventure. If this is indeed true, they could be teasing an overhaul since the current River Adventure is in a different time period. Owen is nowhere to be seen on the River Adventure ride, so how would that line make any sense without some kind of change happening?

This is just me guessing, but I'd willingly bet a lot of money that shortly after Velocicoaster opens, the River Adventure will close temporarily. My logic behind that is that by opening a new Jurassic attraction, Universal would be able to fill the void of not having the other ride open. Since JW: Dominion comes out June 2022, they would naturally want to capitalize on that, so the overhaul would probably open around the same time. Again, this is just me guessing: don't quote me on that.

So what do we think happens to the other things downstairs in discovery center now that it seems to be the coaster gift shop? Do we think eventually they open the nursery and Dino play area or will those stay closed forever?

I think the Discovery store is just temporary. They’re still setting up the actually store/carts at the exit to Velocicoaster. Either that or it’s a Covid congestion concern and it’ll move to it permanent location later on.

I heard a rumor recently that near the Velocicoaster exit station you can hear Claire's voice saying Owen was needed by the River Adventure. If this is indeed true, they could be teasing an overhaul since the current River Adventure is in a different time period. Owen is nowhere to be seen on the River Adventure ride, so how would that line make any sense without some kind of change happening?

This is just me guessing, but I'd willingly bet a lot of money that shortly after Velocicoaster opens, the River Adventure will close temporarily. My logic behind that is that by opening a new Jurassic attraction, Universal would be able to fill the void of not having the other ride open. Since JW: Dominion comes out June 2022, they would naturally want to capitalize on that, so the overhaul would probably open around the same time. Again, this is just me guessing: don't quote me on that.
I both agree with this and really hope you’re right. If universal could turn around the USH edition in one year, UO could too. I know all backend knowledge thus far contradicts that, but plans change all the time and it would make complete sense to do this. If not in time for Dominion, then possibly in 2023 capitalizing on that films popularity from the prior year.

For background purposes: I’m not well versed in the Jurassic Park universe(?), I’m not the biggest fan of thrill rides (never been on an inverted coaster, I only go on 4 rides or so in IoA), and I haven’t ridden River Adventure since I was 11 and I’ll be 33 this year.

That Indominous Rex though...I may have to give that ride another shot if they can bring that AA here.

Reactions: belloq87
The Indo AA out in Hollywood is a jaw-dropper, no question. In a vacuum, I'd love to see an addition of that quality to the finale of River Adventure.

But I also know that the chances of them "plussing" the finale without tinkering a bunch with the rest of the ride aren't great, and I'd much rather keep as many pieces of the "classic" River Adventure (which I've been enjoying since age 12) as possible while freeing up Universal to invest in other projects.

The Indo AA out in Hollywood is a jaw-dropper, no question. In a vacuum, I'd love to see an addition of that quality to the finale of River Adventure.

But I also know that the chances of them "plussing" the finale without tinkering a bunch with the rest of the ride aren't great, and I'd much rather keep as many pieces of the "classic" River Adventure (which I've been enjoying since age 12) as possible while freeing up Universal to invest in other projects.
Ideally they keep the storyline, but give it some major upgrades, like replacing the Ultrasaur with a brachiosaur, and upgrading the parasaur scene. They could keep the bumped off course storyline for the old-school fans, which would make sense as to why you can’t see inside the raptor paddock, and they could put the I-Rex gates (make them look like they’re under construction since this is an off-limits area) where the currently compys currently are. Put the I-Rex head inside the enclosure to lunge at guests, and put an ACU jeep crashed into the water with flashing lights/spinning wheels with the compys fighting on top of it. Replace the crate with a falling gyrosphere, and you’re set. This way they can keep the building as the hydro-plant, just replace the lift hill raptors with echo, Charlie, and delta, add some cool smoke/spark effects, put the I-Rex head at the top of the lift, and include the upgraded dilos. Have blue in here, and include the same I-Rex/T-Rex finale just in this new setting. My concern is with our Rexy, as it’s stationary to the floor instead of on a swinging arm like Hollywood, so it may not be able to lunge and meet the I-Rex without some major alterations. To compensate, maybe have Rexy lunge towards the I-Rex as much as possible to ‘distract’ it, and then attack the boat before the drop like it does currently

Ideally they keep the storyline, but give it some major upgrades, like replacing the Ultrasaur with a brachiosaur, and upgrading the parasaur scene. They could keep the bumped off course storyline for the old-school fans, which would make sense as to why you can’t see inside the raptor paddock, and they could put the I-Rex gates (make them look like they’re under construction since this is an off-limits area) where the currently compys currently are. Put the I-Rex head inside the enclosure to lunge at guests, and put an ACU jeep crashed into the water with flashing lights/spinning wheels with the compys fighting on top of it. Replace the crate with a falling gyrosphere, and you’re set. This way they can keep the building as the hydro-plant, just replace the lift hill raptors with echo, Charlie, and delta, add some cool smoke/spark effects, put the I-Rex head at the top of the lift, and include the upgraded dilos. Have blue in here, and include the same I-Rex/T-Rex finale just in this new setting. My concern is with our Rexy, as it’s stationary to the floor instead of on a swinging arm like Hollywood, so it may not be able to lunge and meet the I-Rex without some major alterations. To compensate, maybe have Rexy lunge towards the I-Rex as much as possible to ‘distract’ it, and then attack the boat before the drop like it does currently

This would still end up being a fairly expensive overhaul, though.

This would still end up being a fairly expensive overhaul, though.
I do wonder if they could save a few bucks by not including the mosasaur tank, as then they can use all of the same sets/infrastructure with minor additions and just do a few animatronic swaps/updates. Either way, I think that the refurb would only be successful if they spend very little, or a lot. If they spend only a little, they’ll be forced to keep the bulk of the current ride, simply plussing it. If they spend more, they will try to renovate the entire ride into something new, and this will only work if they’re willing to spend a lot. If they spend enough to renovate it, but not enough to renovate it well, it’ll end up like Hollywood 1.0. They should only go all in with a full renovation if they have the funds to make it worth it. If not, they should just do an overhaul with a few new animatronics while keeping as much of the OG as possible

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I do wonder if they could save a few bucks by not including the mosasaur tank, as then they can use all of the same sets/infrastructure with minor additions and just do a few animatronic swaps/updates. Either way, I think that the refurb would only be successful if they spend very little, or a lot. If they spend only a little, they’ll be forced to keep the bulk of the current ride, simply plussing it. If they spend more, they will try to renovate the entire ride into something new, and this will only work if they’re willing to spend a lot. If they spend enough to renovate it, but not enough to renovate it well, it’ll end up like Hollywood 1.0. They should only go all in with a full renovation if they have the funds to make it worth it. If not, they should just do an overhaul with a few new animatronics while keeping as much of the OG as possible
I think the brachiosaurus has got to go - that thing is in rough shape and if they’re going to redo that animatronic, they might as well just build the mosasaurs tank because it ain’t gonna be cheap.

It’s no longer a matter of if JPRA is getting switch to JW - it’s now a matter of when! VelicoCoaster’s success will play into funding the rest of the land being overhauled. It was a brilliant move by UC.

Reactions: biggerboat16