General Movies & TV Thread | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Haven't seen the lobby/concourse of the theater with this much buzz since Endgame/No Way Home. The Barbie crowd really committed to the bit, with tons and tons of guests showing up in pink. Can't comment on the movie itself since I went to see Oppenheimer (great movie), but always glad to see life in the movie theaters!

Haven't seen the lobby/concourse of the theater with this much buzz since Endgame/No Way Home. The Barbie crowd really committed to the bit, with tons and tons of guests showing up in pink. Can't comment on the movie itself since I went to see Oppenheimer (great movie), but always glad to see life in the movie theaters!
something that pleasantly surprised me was how excited and into the bit the theater employees were. it really reminded me of going to see the force awakens on opening night — everyone was just excited about the event, regardless of how they feel about the movie.

We’re looking at a historic weekend. Barbie is projected to open as high as $165-$170M and Oppenheimer as high as $75-$80M with two other films (Dead Reckoning, Sound of Freedom) coming in over $20M.

This will be the first weekend in history that a movie opens to $100M+ while another opens to $50M+. Barbie and Oppenheimer are setting the records to beat well beyond that in a feat we may not see broken for a very long time.

The box office is also projected to cross $300M for the first time since Endgame release (this is a very rare feat). Of note, this will also be Nolan’s biggest non-Batman opening ever as well.

Reactions: Jake S
Barbie was fantastic and I’m so glad I saw Oppenheimer first
Oppenheimer is cinema, but it’s fun to go watch a movie that’s just zany after and actively makes fun of the source material while still being a great film. Best way to end the night.

Reactions: ssirin88
Color me very pleased that OPPENHEIMER is opening like a blockbuster. It's a fairly grim (the humor that is present is quite dry), three-hour, R-rated, adult historical-drama. Glad there can still be a big theatrical audience for such things!

At the drive-in tonight to see Oppenheimer the way Nolan intended; poorly lit, interrupted by flashes of headlights, and over my car stereo.
As much as I'd say you're missing out a little by not hearing the movie's sound mix in a proper auditorium with a good system, I'd be genuinely fascinated to hear what it sounds like in this setting.

Reactions: Jake S
I know some people are already trying to manifest the same Barbieheimer magic with the recent announcement of Saw X, now releasing on the same day as Paw Patrol, but that isn't happening.

Both Barbie and Oppenheimer aren't just two very distinctly different movies; they come from directors whom people are passionate about, so many people were interested to see how these films came out, and you know what, both are good movies in their own right (I personally liked Barbie more but Oppenheimer was great too). Who would have thought two potential strong Oscar nominees would release on the same day in the summer, surrounded by all this hype? The theater energy surrounding the Barbieheimer experience is special, and this isn't being replicated for a while.

As much as I'd say you're missing out a little by not hearing the movie's sound mix in a proper auditorium with a good system, I'd be genuinely fascinated to hear what it sounds like in this setting.
The speakers in the stock Ioniq 5 are pretty bad so not great, but I’m pretty covid conscious still due to living with someone high risk so this is my best bet to be able to see it before home release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still loved it, easily the best Nolan film. I rank it far above the Batman films, same tier as Prestige and Dunkirk for me.

Reactions: tielo
Has anyone ever seen the 1999 film The Virgin Suicides starring MJ from the Raimi Spider-Man films? It’s an alright film but I love the soundtrack.

Paramount has dropped an extra ep of Strange New Worlds during their panel at SDCC they announced the Strange New Worlds/ Lower Decks crossover was now available.

Went to see Barbie yesterday and the power went out after the first 3 minutes or so, got a refund. Was then gonna see Oppenheimer but it was sold out!

I am thrilled to see the movies doing such great business, we saw Transformers as that was the only near showtime left that wasn’t Little Mermaid. Transformers was fun with a large popcorn and that’s all I can say. A good time if you’re a frequent theatre goer I’d say.

Overall really hope the next month for the box office is as good as it was doing here in New Hampshire of all places this weekend!

Reactions: tielo
Saw Oppenheimer last night, with Barbie up this evening. Oppenheimer is one of those I just wanted to immediately talk about when I got home…not only from a historical standpoint but a filmmaking one. I don’t really have an outlet to talk about the “art” side of it so…

The first third belongs to one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. It’s pleasantly surprising in how bizarre it is, which I was very entertained but also super surprised by. The continuous quick cuts to close ups of nuclear fission/fusion are beautiful and keep things punchy, but there are also several more surreal moments (two of which involve Jean Tatlock) that don’t play like your typical Nolan studio action movie. It plays like a music video, with the dialog having a cadence like a song—it crescendos, peaks and valleys just like music, and the INCREDIBLE score accentuates this perfectly. The soundtrack is the best part of this film and I’m glad it’s not Hans Zimmer again; it’s more orchestral and varied in its instrumentals and I was absorbed by it from start to finish.

The second third of the movie is where the tension ramps up. The Trinity Test is a masterclass in building suspense, again aided by the soundtrack. This is also the highlight of the film’s cinematography; while beautiful throughout, the quick cuts don’t allow you to absorb some of the more thoughtful shots until you get to the sweeping shots of Los Alamos leading up to and including the successful test. This part of the film climaxes with a haunting depiction of Oppenheimer’s PTSD in a classroom building—it’s the peak of this movie’s more cerebral approach and is an effectively haunting scene that I didn’t necessarily know Christopher Nolan was/wanted to be associated with.

Then the third act starts, and it devolves into more standard fare. It’s still a good movie, but it lacks the uniqueness of the second and (especially) first acts. Aside from a few interesting Rashomon-style duplicated scenes that accentuate different POVs, it’s essentially a typical courtroom drama. And while it does come to a satisfying conclusion, the themes and plot lines introduced in the third act feel a little rushed, which is strange because these scenes are omnipresent through the whole movie. This section also continues to carry the quick, rapid-fire delivery of lines/scenes from the music video-type first act…but two hours in, it starts to become tedious and robs some scenes of their room to breathe.

And that highlights a slight problem I had with the whole movie—the focus. It doesn’t fully know which aspect of this story it wants to lean into. The fact that there is a focus on Jean and Oppenheimer’s relationship with other professors (I thought that Josh Hartnett would be more of an antagonist given his constant reminder that application > theory) seems to inform the viewer that this will be a character study…and yet, the film seems to gloss over details regarding Oppenheimer’s personal politics or intrinsic motivations toward leading the Los Alamos project/barreling toward completion of the bomb. The second half introduces more politics and science, but the movie doesn’t really give us too much detail into the external political factors, either…not enough to classify the film as a true period piece. Then when the part that classifies as courtroom drama starts, it feels like it has its whole own beginning, middle, and end again because so many more character motivations are introduced and then concluded all in the last hour. I walked away learning a little more about the historical context of the situation and a little more about Oppenheimer, but not a deeper understanding of this story like the best biopics (JFK comes to mind) do.

I know people have loved the acting and it’s true that everyone brings their A-game. Controversially, however, I think Cillian Murphy is being slightly overrated; he does turn in an incredible performance, but it doesn’t really suit the first part of the film. He plays a great brooding, regretful, ostracized scientist, which serves the second half of the film perfectly. However, there’s a part toward the beginning where Matt Damon is introduced and calls out Oppenheimer for being an eccentric, arrogant, womanizing character…which Murphy doesn’t really convey. Again, great performance, but doesn’t serve what the character needs to be for the whole film. From an acting front, however, everyone else gives it 110%; while Robert Downey Jr is rightfully getting his kudos, Emily Blunt probably gave the most “interesting” performance to me.

Overall, this is an important movie not just because of the subject matter but because of what it represents—a return to form for large, serious Hollywood films. It’s absolutely worth seeing in the theater, possibly multiple times. For about 60 minutes I was convinced I was watching a masterpiece unfold before my eyes…by the 120-minute mark, I knew this was something great if not a bit more conventional than I had hoped for…and then by minute 180 I had enjoyed what I had seen, and was moved by what I had seen, but had a finished product that was less interesting than the beginning had me believe.

I dont know if I’d watch this too many times at home, but it needs to be seen in Dolby at the very least—and I think I’ll try to see it again before it leaves the theater. A solid 8/10.

Went to see Barbie yesterday and the power went out after the first 3 minutes or so, got a refund. Was then gonna see Oppenheimer but it was sold out!

I am thrilled to see the movies doing such great business, we saw Transformers as that was the only near showtime left that wasn’t Little Mermaid. Transformers was fun with a large popcorn and that’s all I can say. A good time if you’re a frequent theatre goer I’d say.

Overall really hope the next month for the box office is as good as it was doing here in New Hampshire of all places this weekend!
I definitely agreed that of the main movies (not including Bumblebee), Rise of the Beasts is easily the best film, most enjoyable, and sets up an interesting place for a sequel to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Saw Oppenheimer last night, with Barbie up this evening. Oppenheimer is one of those I just wanted to immediately talk about when I got home…not only from a historical standpoint but a filmmaking one. I don’t really have an outlet to talk about the “art” side of it so…

The first third belongs to one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. It’s pleasantly surprising in how bizarre it is, which I was very entertained but also super surprised by. The continuous quick cuts to close ups of nuclear fission/fusion are beautiful and keep things punchy, but there are also several more surreal moments (two of which involve Jean Tatlock) that don’t play like your typical Nolan studio action movie. It plays like a music video, with the dialog having a cadence like a song—it crescendos, peaks and valleys just like music, and the INCREDIBLE score accentuates this perfectly. The soundtrack is the best part of this film and I’m glad it’s not Hans Zimmer again; it’s more orchestral and varied in its instrumentals and I was absorbed by it from start to finish.

The second third of the movie is where the tension ramps up. The Trinity Test is a masterclass in building suspense, again aided by the soundtrack. This is also the highlight of the film’s cinematography; while beautiful throughout, the quick cuts don’t allow you to absorb some of the more thoughtful shots until you get to the sweeping shots of Los Alamos leading up to and including the successful test. This part of the film climaxes with a haunting depiction of Oppenheimer’s PTSD in a classroom building—it’s the peak of this movie’s more cerebral approach and is an effectively haunting scene that I didn’t necessarily know Christopher Nolan was/wanted to be associated with.

Then the third act starts, and it devolves into more standard fare. It’s still a good movie, but it lacks the uniqueness of the second and (especially) first acts. Aside from a few interesting Rashomon-style duplicated scenes that accentuate different POVs, it’s essentially a typical courtroom drama. And while it does come to a satisfying conclusion, the themes and plot lines introduced in the third act feel a little rushed, which is strange because these scenes are omnipresent through the whole movie. This section also continues to carry the quick, rapid-fire delivery of lines/scenes from the music video-type first act…but two hours in, it starts to become tedious and robs some scenes of their room to breathe.

And that highlights a slight problem I had with the whole movie—the focus. It doesn’t fully know which aspect of this story it wants to lean into. The fact that there is a focus on Jean and Oppenheimer’s relationship with other professors (I thought that Josh Hartnett would be more of an antagonist given his constant reminder that application > theory) seems to inform the viewer that this will be a character study…and yet, the film seems to gloss over details regarding Oppenheimer’s personal politics or intrinsic motivations toward leading the Los Alamos project/barreling toward completion of the bomb. The second half introduces more politics and science, but the movie doesn’t really give us too much detail into the external political factors, either…not enough to classify the film as a true period piece. Then when the part that classifies as courtroom drama starts, it feels like it has its whole own beginning, middle, and end again because so many more character motivations are introduced and then concluded all in the last hour. I walked away learning a little more about the historical context of the situation and a little more about Oppenheimer, but not a deeper understanding of this story like the best biopics (JFK comes to mind) do.

I know people have loved the acting and it’s true that everyone brings their A-game. Controversially, however, I think Cillian Murphy is being slightly overrated; he does turn in an incredible performance, but it doesn’t really suit the first part of the film. He plays a great brooding, regretful, ostracized scientist, which serves the second half of the film perfectly. However, there’s a part toward the beginning where Matt Damon is introduced and calls out Oppenheimer for being an eccentric, arrogant, womanizing character…which Murphy doesn’t really convey. Again, great performance, but doesn’t serve what the character needs to be for the whole film. From an acting front, however, everyone else gives it 110%; while Robert Downey Jr is rightfully getting his kudos, Emily Blunt probably gave the most “interesting” performance to me.

Overall, this is an important movie not just because of the subject matter but because of what it represents—a return to form for large, serious Hollywood films. It’s absolutely worth seeing in the theater, possibly multiple times. For about 60 minutes I was convinced I was watching a masterpiece unfold before my eyes…by the 120-minute mark, I knew this was something great if not a bit more conventional than I had hoped for…and then by minute 180 I had enjoyed what I had seen, and was moved by what I had seen, but had a finished product that was less interesting than the beginning had me believe.

I dont know if I’d watch this too many times at home, but it needs to be seen in Dolby at the very least—and I think I’ll try to see it again before it leaves the theater. A solid 8/10.
I think this is very fair. I bought Murphy as the arrogant womanizer (there are a lot of quick throwaway lines of dialogue that emphasized this well-enough), but I agree that he's at his best in the later (chronologically) parts of the story.

I also agree that the third act loses some steam a little bit by shifting more focus onto RDJ. Downey's great... but I'm not sure that character or that storyline are written as compellingly or with as much nuance as the stuff in the earlier sections of the movie.

Those are mostly nitpicks for me, though.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Once again, since 2020, people need a REASON to go to the movies. They want to see something new, something they haven’t seen before, or can’t see at home.

Most movies have bombed this year because of the sameness element that audiences aren’t putting up with. They are openly challenging studios to think outside the box and to give them a reason, other than “remember this IP you love?”, to go to the theater.

Audiences are clearly willing to show up, but only if they think it’s worth it. This was a very special instance in which two auteur filmmakers had highly praised movie’s opening on the same weekend and there was a movement online around doing a double feature for both. I think this may be a once in a lifetime event where the stars align like this

Most movies have bombed this year because of the sameness element that audiences aren’t putting up with. They are openly challenging studios to think outside the box and to give them a reason, other than “remember this IP you love?”, to go to the theater.
It's funny because something like Barbie could have quickly turned into a "remember this IP you love?" or even another The Lego Movie ripoff. Yet, thanks to the people involved with the production, Barbie does not feel like a cash grab. It's a film with so much value, even if you are not a fan of the IP.

Reactions: Jake S and Grabnar
It's funny because something like Barbie could have quickly turned into a "remember this IP you love?" or even another The Lego Movie ripoff. Yet, thanks to the people involved with the production, Barbie does not feel like a cash grab. It's a film with so much value, even if you are not a fan of the IP.
Barbie could’ve easily also been a $15-$25M opener and flopped HARD had they not waited for the right pitch and attached award winning writers and a hot director who’s really still only in the early stages of her directorial career.

Credit the studio for that.