General Movies & TV Thread | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hoping the TMNT show coming out this summer is on par with the film

I also hope the sequel is as fun as the first film....TNMT isn't perfect but I love the first 2/3 of the film its just the ending I got bored with...but I also don't care for fighting a big monster vs one on one combat

No movie needs to exist. :)
No movie needs to exist. You're right.

However, he's speaking from a standpoint most haven't in a long time in his position at Disney which seems more to be of the position of "Are we making this simply because there's an IP and we think audiences want to see it (but it ultimately will flop anyway) or are we making this because it seems like something audiences naturally gravitate towards?"

Reactions: SeventyOne
Tell that to theme parks that are built from movies and/or TV...

Also the world would be in worse shape without film
The world got along just fine for hundreds of years without movies or TV. Do they make life enjoyable? Absolutely. But are they a necessity, like food and water? No.

The world got along just fine for hundreds of years without movies or TV. Do they make life enjoyable? Absolutely. But are they a necessity, like food and water? No.
Ummm. Ok. I mean, yeah we can live without them, but that isn’t the point they are trying to make with that statement. He’s basically saying “are we just making this film for a quick buck or is there is there substance here, is there a story worth telling?”

Art, music, literature, and stories have been around for thousands of years at this point and no they aren’t a necessity but imagine a world without them. Film is another medium, and an accessible one (for the masses) to be able to enrich their lives, escape their troubles and have a good time.

Since we are mainly a theme park site I’ll say this too: no theme park needs to exist either but we all (I think) enjoy them and what they provide for us.

I get what you’re saying but you aren’t getting the point of that quote.

Edit: also, as someone who makes a living in the film industry, I’d say it’s a necessity for me and thousands of people who work in the industry.

Also another form of education to an extent
Documentaries are a great example of this, as well. But yes, film has been a cultural cornerstone of the human experience for the last hundred years. You can learn so much from the experience about people, how they think, why they do what they do, similar to literature. Some films have also incited change in society, and people’s perceptions of things (for better or worse [think propaganda].) In that respect they are kind of necessary for living in this modern world. Also the quote, now that I looked at it, didn’t say it’s a necessity, it was asking if making a certain film is necessary. Two very different things. Is this necessary for our company (which is sort of their point) is very different than a necessity for life.

Reactions: Wesker69
I'd take it a step further and say art and storytelling are absolutely essential pieces of the human experience.
Storytelling for example to extrapolate even to a different medium (music) is how Taylor Swift has grown to the heights that she has. People really enjoy her music because the lyrics are not only relatable, but she has a catalog of music that she wrote during her teenage years, her 20's, and now her 30's. This makes many feel like they can relate to her songs no matter what age they are.

Bringing back to tv & movies.... it's kind of the same. People like to see versions of themselves in shows in realistic portrayals, such as a show like The Bear. They like to see the fantastical that is also done within a somewhat realistic approach. It's what makes Game of Thrones/House of the Dragon so popular. It's why people liked Andor and it's why The Last Of Us was such a big hit. Barbie was also had very relatable moments for many women. I'll even throw in 2008's Iron Man or Black Panther as an example from Marvel.

People absolutely love watching human stories, even if they do go into the fantasy genre. The farther and farther away from a grounded nature, the less people can relate and the less they will honestly really care. This is, imo, a big part of what the MCU is struggling with currently. As fantastical as Marvel stories can be, the Infinity Saga was relatively grounded when you stand back and look at the whole thing. The Multiverse Saga, simply by it's very nature, has just taken these characters so far away from reality most of the time and you start to feel like you can't relate to them anymore.

Thanks to the apocalyptic pandemic of doom, I fell down the Asian drama rabbit hole (started mostly with Thai, then Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, Filipino & a little Vietnamese) via youtube and/or streaming apps (Viki, iQIYI, even Netflix!). While they might be in a different language, I've found a lot of the dramas to be very relatable emotionally or eerily too close to reality. I can confidently count to 10 in Thai (or at least 6) lol

It makes me want to travel to those countries to see it all in person.

Reactions: Michael S
Thanks to the apocalyptic pandemic of doom, I fell down the Asian drama rabbit hole (started mostly with Thai, then Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, Filipino & a little Vietnamese) via youtube and/or streaming apps (Viki, iQIYI, even Netflix!). While they might be in a different language, I've found a lot of the dramas to be very relatable emotionally or eerily too close to reality. I can confidently count to 10 in Thai (or at least 6) lol

It makes me want to travel to those countries to see it all in person.
And I’m sure you learned about some cultural differences along the way and your eyes were opened to another part of the world that you may never have thought of before. The power of film…

Reactions: Wesker69