Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 122 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it's simpler than you think: yes, GotG does have screens, but it's a roller coaster, and the emphasis will be more on the coaster itself than the scenes. Just like how GotG: MB the drop ride was more focused on than the rest of the experience.

I think it's simpler than you think: yes, GotG does have screens, but it's a roller coaster, and the emphasis will be more on the coaster itself than the scenes. Just like how GotG: MB the drop ride was more focused on than the rest of the experience.

I'd rather have the version with the 10+ animatronics that were cut.

Reactions: therock
I'd rather have the version with the 10+ animatronics that were cut.
How do you know that those animatronics would've made the ride fundamentally any better, though? I agree some AA's of Rocket and Groot in the preshow would've made it better, but I just have a hard time seeing how the actual ride would've been all that much better, especially since it's a coaster.

How do you know that those animatronics would've made the ride fundamentally any better, though? I agree some AA's of Rocket and Groot in the preshow would've made it better, but I just have a hard time seeing how the actual ride would've been all that much better, especially since it's a coaster.

Per Martin, there were meant to be a few slower show scenes on the ride, with the ride vehicle turning to direct our attention towards them. So I'd certainly rather see what these scenes were supposed to be like before (presumably) the physical elements were replaced with projections.

Would it make the ride "better," inherently? Who knows? But I'm a big animatronics fan, so I obviously want more wherever I can get them.

Reactions: therock and UPSguy
I too love AK's thematic cohesion. I also love Zootopia and look forward to seeing how the land in SDL turns out. As you say, DAK should naturally be next in line to receive something--sadly I can't really think of anything else that would be a natural candidate.

The overarching theme concept attempted by Epcot and DAK was admirable, and no one could've predicted how Potter would change the game of themed entertainment.
The only issue I have with Animal Kingdom is that it's Animal Kingdom

Per Martin, there were meant to be a few slower show scenes on the ride, with the ride vehicle turning to direct our attention towards them. So I'd certainly rather see what these scenes were supposed to be like before (presumably) the physical elements were replaced with projections.

Would it make the ride "better," inherently? Who knows? But I'm a big animatronics fan, so I obviously want more wherever I can get them.
I wish there was concept art/animated ride through that we could see to show us what the ride would've looked like with these animatronics so we could compare to what the final product is once we see it.

Reactions: belloq87
I will withhold judgment until I ride the thing

All I know is, the AA's on Hagrid are pretty cool, but compare that with the raptor statues on Veloci and I feel a bit indifferent to AAs on a coaster

Here's the thing tho, Hagrid has some unique elements to fall back on and Veloci is a top 5 coaster in the US

I'm very curious how Guardians will actually deliver as a "coaster"

If it's a great coaster then I could care less about AAs, screens, disco balls or whatever on the ride's path...

If it's a bad coaster tho, the more minimal presentation of the show scenes may be a bit jarring

I hope this makes sense in what I'm trying to say

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
All I know is, the AA's on Hagrid are pretty cool, but compare that with the raptor statues on Veloci and I feel a bit indifferent to AAs on a coaster
The thing about this though is that you are moving past Hagrid very slowly so you have a chance to take in the detail and the lifelike nature. Fluffy has less movement, although you are going by him faster.

The thing about this though is that you are moving past Hagrid very slowly so you have a chance to take in the detail and the lifelike nature. Fluffy has less movement, although you are going by him faster.

That is exactly my thought. On Velocicoaster, I'm not sure that I even noticed the velociraptors. Fluffy is a drive-by and that is where coasters and animatronics don't play nice. I never saw the Yeti in action but I'm usually past Disco before I know that he is coming. 7DMT slows us down to appreciate a true show scene. I expect that screens can better set the stage on a coaster. For instance, if you are flying at speed towards a screen, it can make it seem like you're about to collide. Visually, it will work and is more effective than trying to see an animatronic in a darkened space and moving at a good clip. As you mentioned, it will be impossible to really say how much AA's would have helped since we won't experience the ride with and without.

Reactions: shiekra38
That is exactly my thought. On Velocicoaster, I'm not sure that I even noticed the velociraptors. Fluffy is a drive-by and that is where coasters and animatronics don't play nice. I never saw the Yeti in action but I'm usually past Disco before I know that he is coming. 7DMT slows us down to appreciate a true show scene. I expect that screens can better set the stage on a coaster. For instance, if you are flying at speed towards a screen, it can make it seem like you're about to collide. Visually, it will work and is more effective than trying to see an animatronic in a darkened space and moving at a good clip. As you mentioned, it will be impossible to really say how much AA's would have helped since we won't experience the ride with and without.
The only coaster to be enhanced by its respective AA was Everest, it was a fantastic near miss

However...dat broke

Otherwise, meh

Locked in my time for the 16th for the AP and the 18th for DVC. Don't be too worried if you just go in a queue for the preview as the only dates that had filled up so far were the first two days (May 8th and May 9th).

Got my time on the afternoon of the 19th…wondering if “leaving early to ride a Guardians of the Galaxy ride” is an excuse that will resonate with my Northern-based corporate bosses haha.

Good question - on the surface, it does appear to be hypocritical.

Appreciate the response—this is the kind of in-depth conversation I really like about this place as I can’t really get it elsewhere.

Epcot has always been the "smarter" park, the one that had a little more thought and required a little more than the others. And Disney advertised it that way, back when "there's stuff for adults too" was considered a requirement for selling the resort.

So, I get this, but I think you have to look at the resort as a whole. There are more adult elements introduced to the entire property compared to when Epcot filled that specific need. I’d argue Hollywood Studios is just as “adult.” Epcot doesn’t “need” to be an adult park when you now have two other parks helping to fulfill that segment.

Now, are the attractions present “mature” or complex? I agree the answer to that is “no.” But I’d argue there’s no longer a large enough audience to sustain a “thought-provoking” park either—look at the movies that get wide releases these days. Tentpoles are dumbed down to appeal to the lowest common denominator and the opportunity cost of seeing a movie is, what, $10 and a couple of hours? With a much larger barrier to entry, people aren’t going to want to take a chance of using their precious vacation time (and even more precious money) on complex ideas that their whole family may not appreciate.

I also would point out I take the same stance here as I do with IPs at HHN—nowadays, anyone can go through a [insert generic horror location here] haunted house, but Universal’s value proposition is in its IPs, and THAT will always be what separates it from other destinations. Epcot’s value proposition cannot be “the learning park” anymore—it will continue to elevate itself by letting guests experience their favorite IP exclusively.

Disney also frequently claims they're the best, "you can't touch us", invoke Walt, and say they're so popular you don't have to advertise. They are also claiming these changes and additions in Epcot are true to the theme and spirit of the park. It's not just not true, it's patronizing.

Yeah, Disney is patronizing. They’re also the only major corporation I can think of that has a devoted, borderline cult-like fan following. Proctor & Gamble, Comcast, Salesforce, etc. don’t need to satisfy anyone but their shareholders, and doing so doesn’t really take any creativity (in the artistic sense at least). I give Disney props for acknowledging the fanbase at all…as to just how disingenuous it is, I’ll take the approach we’re all taking for the Shrek replacement, Fear Factor replacement, etc….let’s wait and see.

"Well Epcot has to change". I agree!

"UoE was bad/terrible/old/Exxon propaganda/etc and should have gone." Yes.

"You just want Horizons back." No I don't.

"You don't want a coaster in the park." Another variant of the one above, I wanted a coaster in this park decades ago.

"You don't want IP in the park." There's been IP in the park for generations now, I don't have a problem with Nemo or Donald.

I just have an issue with this IP and its application in this park.

I actually agree with this, just like I agree with people who are okay with Spider-Man and Gringotts but are bored with Fallon and Fast & Furious. It’s not the screens themselves, it’s the application. The thing that bugs me as someone looking to read constructive theme park discussion as my nerdy hobby is that for Epcot, this is seen as a valid concern whereas with UO, this is brushed off as “well the GP likes it” and “if there were too many screenz why would attendance be getting so high?” By every observable metric from someone outside of the company (although I actually used to be in a position to have even more than that, for one resort more than the other), Epcot is ALSO doing very well with the direction they’re headed in. Whether we like it or not, that’s where the fun of the conversation comes in. But the discourse changes based on the narrative which hinders all of the good that could come from constructive discussion about the parks.

That’s also not to mention that I do suspect there’s some generational bias regarding what fits and what doesn’t. For all intents and purposes, Maelstrom hits all of the criteria for what Epcot purists DONT like about the new direction—it’s fantasy, it’s not thought-provoking, and it felt kind of shoehorned into a space. But because that’s what was there when we first visited, we blindly accepted it and the only thing making it still make sense is our memory’s acceptance of it.

Frankly, what Disney should do is rename the park and rededicate it. If Disney thinks "adult magic kingdom" is the way forward, then do it, but don't lie to our faces that it isn't what you're doing.

And this is where we get back to my original argument. Slow moving dark rides are no longer the most interesting way to learn things..not in this age of 1.) oversaturated digital media and 2.) huge innovations in ride technology that have generally skewed more toward thrill. But Epcot can still be unique while moving away from the outdated edutainment concepts. It’s still the only park grounded in reality in the sense that all of the World Showcase pavilions are based on real locations without any elements of fantasy (Norway aside, but this was the case when Maelstrom existed too). It’s the only park that consistently rotates it’s food and beverage offerings to appeal to a more local crowd (the cynic will say this is shameless cash-grabbing but I’m not alone in enjoying it a lot so I say, “who cares?”).

One ride doesn’t change this.

At the end of the day, Epcot needs more thrill rides. I’m just happy they built *a* roller coaster. If slapping Guardians on it is what will make the investment get its return, then so be it…at least it means there won’t be an excuse to stop investing more exciting attractions into the park. The ride could be terrible, but we have to stop barring it from the benefit of the doubt just because of the land it sits on.

ETA: Yikes…sorry for the diatribe. Can you tell I’m into this stuff?

Maelstrom 100% fit the original ethos of the park, which included celebrating the cultures of the world. Norse mythology is a major component of Norway's history.

You can argue that it was a kind of weird ride, with a scattershot approach (like the tacked-on oil rig), but it was thematically coherent.

Reactions: therock
I got the 8th pretty much only because I happened to check my email at the right time. Probably should have done an evening later on to avoid the #FIRST! blogger weirdos, but oh well.

They are also claiming these changes and additions in Epcot are true to the theme and spirit of the park. It's not just not true, it's patronizing.
What's disappointing is that the original push to update the park was closer-ish to the original vision. But then you wind up with Guardians getting slapped on the coaster, Moana slapped on a part of the central garden, and even Mary Poppins slapped on what was definitively a non-IP concept, all of a sudden it's something completely different. And while it's not entirely on one person... but Zach seems less Imagineer and more corporate shill account, which I know is not that accurate but reflective of what it takes to be the most front-facing Imagineer these days I guess.

Where I feel like the parks have gone astray is the lazy definition of what IP actually is, in the sense that nothing gets built without being tied to an "IP" ... but things like Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Soarin', Test Track, etc. etc. **ARE** IP that were born out of letting Imagineers build what they want and just managing the spirit of a park. Sure, not every ride turns into a $4B movie franchise but I think it's actually quite probable that slapping movie IP onto park attractions uni-directionally is actually less valuable than that being a two-way street.

Last edited: