Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 164 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'd be happy if they rebuilt house of horrors again.

That was pretty well done.

Going through that attraction on a fall weekday while everyone was at work and school. Except for a few tourist etc. It brings back awesome memories.

I think he's slowly but surely giving up. He put 100 % into this in the beginning. Nowadays it's like whatever. As someone else mentioned they need big names like Jason, leatherface, etc to bring the masses and bring ticket sales.

I liked El cucoy, LA llarona, as original ideas. Why not do something with scarecrows evil harvest etc as a scare zone.
Something we need to keep in mind, is the fact that Murdy is slowly getting away from involvement of HHN, and has even gone up to the level of moving to an entirely different country whilest working on the event. The form of connection he directly had, is fading, outside of when he comes for the occasional visit for the event.

They don't need big names. And to be honest, those big names, for Hollywood specifically, aren't really big names anymore.

What they need, is a new team, a new mindset, and a new creative direction. I like Murdy, but I do believe he needs to take the leave.

I'd be happy if they rebuilt house of horrors again.

That was pretty well done.

Going through that attraction on a fall weekday while everyone was at work and school. Except for a few tourist etc. It brings back awesome memories.

Don't expect them to rebuild House of Horrors. Outside of the logistical and structural improbabilities that'd be, that's not the mindset that should be looked at for the CM returning to Horrah for this year at Hollywood.

I discussed this in-private with someone, and that I do believe they need to find a way to make it not only scary, but something that can work and make sense for the Classic Monsters to be. Hell, Orlando, did so, with 2009 in Dracula and Frankenstein.

Will it succeed? I hope so, as the CM are Murdy's treasured characters that he does respect the hell out of.

Reactions: Wesker69
Something we need to keep in mind, is the fact that Murdy is slowly getting away from involvement of HHN, and has even gone up to the level of moving to an entirely different country whilest working on the event. The form of connection he directly had, is fading, outside of when he comes for the occasional visit for the event.

They don't need big names. And to be honest, those big names, for Hollywood specifically, aren't really big names anymore.

What they need, is a new team, a new mindset, and a new creative direction. I like Murdy, but I do believe he needs to take the leave.

Don't expect them to rebuild House of Horrors. Outside of the logistical and structural improbabilities that'd be, that's not the mindset that should be looked at for the CM returning to Horrah for this year at Hollywood.

I discussed this in-private with someone, and that I do believe they need to find a way to make it not only scary, but something that can work and make sense for the Classic Monsters to be. Hell, Orlando, did so, with 2009 in Dracula and Frankenstein.

Will it succeed? I hope so, as the CM are Murdy's treasured characters that he does respect the hell out of.

I agree with you. time will tell.

how was the classics done in Orlando. if you attended? Seemed like a good year. watched all the youtube vids on it.

I agree with you. time will tell.

how was the classics done in Orlando. if you attended? Seemed like a good year. watched all the youtube vids on it.

I'm meaning more from what I've heard from multiple individuals who have been there.

Been stuck on one coast for my life, so it's a bit hard to give a valid point in that regard. But, I do think it's telling, of when people talked about Frankenstein and Dracula, to how they have them high in their all-time lists.

Reactions: HauntfanLA
Knotts, Sinister, Dark Harbor, and Fright Fest are major areas, but I actually think Festival of Frights is going to do the most damage to Universal, not just because of IP's, but because of proximity and affordability.
Warner Bros is not even gonna make a small dent in HHN's business! Nobody even knows about that event, not even die-hard Haunt fans. It's way less nights and at $59, that's pretty close to HHN's price on a weekday or first weekend. I went to HHN last year I think for $49 -- TWICE, at the beginning and the end (with college discount, since I work at a college). There's also way less attractions with questionable quality (Neibolt house looked awful, as much as I love IT) -- but I'm willing to bite the bullet to see Arkham Asylum. Last year's event didn't exactly spread positive word of mouth either, unlike HHN did it's first year back, which they started to put a dent in KSF's business in '07-'12, maybe even longer until I think a year or two ago when they finally started having sold out nights again. Also, we both have two mazes announced so far and HHN still wins the popularity vote. We have the BIGGEST thing in pop culture right now with Stranger Things and a long awaited cult-modern classic with TrT. WB already did IT last year which aaaaloooooot of people saw for free (and who knows, HHN may still get it and do it aloooot better - we both had Freddy last year, so it's definitely possible) and Arkham Asylum which is GREAT and one of the best selling games and comic IPs, but at the end of the HHN still has The Mummy, Simpsons, Terror Tram for sure, Transformers, shows, Walking Dead and 6 other mazes which may be great or bad, but at least it'll have more bang for buck.
I think if THIS year does great for WB (and I hope it does), THEN HHN should be worried next year -- also because next year is an odd year and it'll inevitably suck, so word of mouth will drive people to other options. "Oh yeah, doesn't Warner Bros have a Halloween thing now?" "Warner Bros does mazes now? Do they have a theme park?" "No, but it's just mazes on their backlot, they had It and Arkham Asylum last year." "Dude, no way, is it cheaper?" "Yeah, by a little bit and it had great reviews." "WTF WE WAITING FOR BROOOO?!"

I think he's slowly but surely giving up. He put 100 % into this in the beginning. Nowadays it's like whatever. As someone else mentioned they need big names like Jason, leatherface, etc to bring the masses and bring ticket sales.

I liked El cucoy, LA llarona, as original ideas. Why not do something with scarecrows evil harvest etc as a scare zone.

I think, as he rightfully should be, he's a little jaded since no matter what he does, he gets criticized and trolled by fans. He puts in all this work and we're little punks on keyboards telling him how to do his job. It must take all the fun out of it for him.

He did also give us Universal Monsters Remix (TWICE), which besmirched the CM in the most foul way possible. Even Abbott and Costello gave them more respect than that. His reasoning for not bringing Scream was people thought Ghostface was a joke after Scary Movie (literally an almost 20 year old movie now), yet he himself made his monsters a joke in his very own park from his very own design and ideas, two years in a row. And if he wants to bring them back now, then GHOSTFACE NEEDS A CHANCE, I WILL NEVER LET IT GO!!!

He did also give us Universal Monsters Remix (TWICE), which besmirched the CM in the most foul way possible. Even Abbott and Costello gave them more respect than that. His reasoning for not bringing Scream was people thought Ghostface was a joke after Scary Movie (literally an almost 20 year old movie now), yet he himself made his monsters a joke in his very own park from his very own design and ideas, two years in a row. And if he wants to bring them back now, then GHOSTFACE NEEDS A CHANCE, I WILL NEVER LET IT GO!!!

Wishful thinking in me hopes Scream will be contended for next year with KKFOS since Murdy will be gone; plus the show’s gotten canned and TWC company is gone so the rights shouldn’t be as hard to get to. Same goes for Hellraiser, but Screams more well known. I just need the garage scene form 1, Roman columns from 2, and the barn scene from 4 and I’ll be happy:grin:

And if WB bombs this year I hope they’ll at least give us The Conjuring since they’ll likely put all their eggs for 2019 in the IT 2 basket

Reactions: chris.g
As someone else mentioned they need big names like Jason, leatherface, etc to bring the masses and bring ticket sales.
^This is absolutely NOT true at all. You can bring in the masses with all original content if you have a good marketing team, unfortunately, Universal does NOT have a good one.

Hell, Orlando, did so, with 2009 in Dracula and Frankenstein.
*waves hi* Yea, I was there in 2009 for these mazes. Don't praise them. They were terrible.

Dracula: Legacy of Blood - severely lacked Dracula in the actual maze. It was boring. Even the set details were kinda forgettable. Honestly, it probably would've been a decent "Dracula Untold" maze with a little tweaking here/there.

Frankenstein: Creation of the Damned - another underwhelming experience lacking in scares. also suffered the dreaded "show scenes" that we saw littered throughout the TCM maze in 2016 here. It had some nice set details. overall, it was "meh"

Reactions: ush.hacker
Though I do remember that they weren't selling out as many nights compared to 2016. Basically it was taking longer for them to sell out on some nights, which for nights that did sell out, I remember seeing the original prices for every option being decreased to entice potential customers that were probably put off by the original expensive prices and lukewarm reception to the event that year. Not sure if that may impact RIP from coming back, given that I know many people weren't super happy about the cost, the decrease in exclusive stuff for those who purchased it, as well as the already discussed problems with 2017's event.

Last edited:
Before I even decided if I wanted to go to Halloween horror nights this year I have to wait until all of the scare zones mazes and shows etc are announced then I will decide if I don’t go then I will go to horror world sinister point or knotts scary farm

*waves hi* Yea, I was there in 2009 for these mazes. Don't praise them. They were terrible.

Dracula: Legacy of Blood - severely lacked Dracula in the actual maze. It was boring. Even the set details were kinda forgettable. Honestly, it probably would've been a decent "Dracula Untold" maze with a little tweaking here/there.

Frankenstein: Creation of the Damned - another underwhelming experience lacking in scares. also suffered the dreaded "show scenes" that we saw littered throughout the TCM maze in 2016 here. It had some nice set details. overall, it was "meh"

Both those houses have been praised by many - pros and all. Opinions are all subjective - but these 2 have consistently been considered good houses. Let's not paint a broad paintbrush based off of 1 sole opinion.

Both those houses have been praised by many - pros and all. Opinions are all subjective - but these 2 have consistently been considered good houses. Let's not paint a broad paintbrush based off of 1 sole opinion.
I agree, I have never heard anyone say negative things about those two houses until now. I remember those two being very well received and liked by people. Specially Frankenstein.

Reactions: MacMillian Crew
I try to hit up all the events every year even worked a few in the past. It's just a wee bit saddening too hear all these people and negative things come about for universal Hollywood that is. never been to the Orlando event.

I'll believe Poltergeist when I see it...

I agree, I have never heard anyone say negative things about those two houses until now. I remember those two being very well received and liked by people. Specially Frankenstein.
Thats because they are fanboys of Michael Roddy who created those two houses. But I can assure you, those two houses were NOT the best the event had to offer that year. I'm a big fan of the monsters, it was a mediocre experience at best. Although a majority of the event that year never fully reached its peak. I would say that people loved "Leave it to Cleaver" (an original house) a hell of a lot more than those two houses. People always seem to turn a blind eye to the quality of a house when its inside a soundstage.

I'll believe Poltergeist when I see it...

Thats because they are fanboys of Michael Roddy who created those two houses. But I can assure you, those two houses were NOT the best the event had to offer that year. I'm a big fan of the monsters, it was a mediocre experience at best. Although a majority of the event that year never fully reached its peak. I would say that people loved "Leave it to Cleaver" (an original house) a hell of a lot more than those two houses. People always seem to turn a blind eye to the quality of a house when its inside a soundstage.

I disagree but whatever.