Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 171 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Okay so here’s what I’m thinking might be the lineup - rumors and leakers be damned...

1. Stranger Things
(Announced)

2. Trick r Treat
(Announced)

3. Poltergeist
(Our Classic House this year and generally agreed to be coming between the Orlando leakers and the ones here)

4. Horrors of Blumhouse (containing the First Purge)
(Seems like a no brainer that they encore the maze that seemed most popular with the GP, especially with the many options Blumhouse has to offer)

5. Halloween (2018)
(Murdy still has all the Michael Myers gear ready to go PLUS Michael was mysteriously absent from ToT last year when even Chucky was considered a “Titan”)

6. American Horror Story: Asylum
(A dream property for Murdy and something he probably fought tooth and nail for what looks to be his last hurrah. I could see it becoming a season mashup or even Cult if the higher ups put the nix on it, but I think AHS will be represented this year)

7. Universal Classic Monsters
(Another dream property and one that seemingly all the leakers can agree on)

Thoughts?
I thought we lost Ahs Asylum?

Okay so here’s what I’m thinking might be the lineup - rumors and leakers be damned...

1. Stranger Things
(Announced)

2. Trick r Treat
(Announced)

3. Poltergeist
(Our Classic House this year and generally agreed to be coming between the Orlando leakers and the ones here)

(Seems like a no brainer that they encore the maze that seemed most popular with the GP, especially with the many options Blumhouse has to offer)

5. Halloween (2018)
(Murdy still has all the Michael Myers gear ready to go PLUS Michael was mysteriously absent from ToT last year when even Chucky was considered a “Titan”)

(A dream property for Murdy and something he probably fought tooth and nail for what looks to be his last hurrah. I could see it becoming a season mashup or even Cult if the higher ups put the nix on it, but I think AHS will be represented this year)

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, according to rumors Asylum was isn’t happening and The Purge will be it’s own maze. Take it with a grain of salt, but I’m hoping it’s not true

Reactions: cdogsumo
Yeah the lineup I said was just me trying to sift through all the rumors and look at it logically...

I understand. I just wanna know the possible reasons for AHS being potentially nixed in Hollywood, I wonder if it was due to rights expiration or creative differences or just lack of interest since during last year’s event Ryan Murphy was already talking about bringing Cult to Hollywood

It's funny; looking at some of the recent construction videos, I remember how in previous years a lot of us were like "Oh man, they look amazing! I can't wait to see the finished products!" But after last year it's now like "For the love of God, please cover those black walls! Don't leave them blank; Hell, super-glue leaves or something to make them not so bare". At this point, I realize that the only mazes I'm personally excited for are Stranger Things, Trick 'r Treat and Poltergeist (if it's true). I was always apathetic about UCM, since I feel like it can be a hit-or-miss, was never excited about Halloween, and was really annoyed with the possibility of HoB V.2 and The First Purge. I hope USH gets Blumhouse out of their system soon; Hell, if they need to make another permanent haunted attraction around one of their IPs in order for them not to waste a maze spot on them, I'd be down for that.

1. Stranger Things
(Announced)

2. Trick r Treat
(Announced)

3. Poltergeist

5. Halloween (2018)

Thoughts?

57%. D-.

Guessing the edits would be

4: Horrors of Blumhouse 2

5: Halloween

6: The Purge

Edit - So is there any reason why Halloween 2018 wouldn’t show up? As 80s goodness as Halloween 4 is I think it’d be a waste of Micheal Myers since the new movie looks so badass. Is it Miramax? Krampus 2: Nutty by Nature? Or Screenz and Black Hallwayz?

Double Edit - Any chance Oculus & Get Out could debut in HoB 2? Or should we expect a return to Baghuul(wouldn’t mind) and the Further?

Last edited:
Reactions: chris.g
Just to say this, to those looking to audition for this years event, you can now schedule your appointment.
USH Auditions | Universal Studios Hollywood
You've been able to do so since last friday (June 22nd) ...i have my appointment for the first day :look:

If this year ends up as a dud in Hollywood they %100 need to go after IP’s like The Conjuring, and IT
^Never going to happen now with WB Studio doing their own haunt event on their backlot right next to Universal. If this year is as successful as it is expected to be, Universal will be :poop: bricks especially if they deliver another 2017 quality event. Just saying.

Yeah, I have a friend who has been going to HHN in Orlando for years and just last year went to Hollywood for the first time. She was not impressed.
^SAME... and I told her that she was NOT allowed to judge or say ANYTHING remotely negative about our event last year due to it being a :poop: show compared to 2016, the year she should've seen haha

Reactions: HorrorNightsFan13
I am 100% certain we're getting Purge as a maze. That Purge TV show looks just as good as the movies, there's no way they're not utilizing that or advertising it, considering the show starts in September. They're putting a LOT of synergy biscuits in one basket by releasing a movie AND a 10 part miniseries in one year, that HHN is practically forced to keep that flow going.

^Never going to happen now with WB Studio doing their own haunt event on their backlot right next to Universal.
I don't think it makes a difference. We both had Freddy last year. From WB's point of view, they could be like "we get money from licensing our properties to others AND use our properties to make money ourselves, win-win." They probably know realistically within their first few years, they're not going to be able to rival HHN and will probably play by some fast and loose rules in order to survive. And HHN knows the GP want IT and there will be an uproar if they don't sign the deal, even if it means they don't get exclusive rights. That certainly will cause people to go looking else where for their Haunt entertainment.

It will most certainly make a difference if the quality of HHN continues on its downward spiral. They can't afford to have another 2017, word of mouth will hurt them badly. Hell, last year... it was so bad that even Universal TMs were saying how much better Knotts was/is..

Universal won't get "IT"... not this year. If they were to get it, it'd be as early as next year due to the new movie.
GIANT SPIDER PENNYWISE!!!

We just need to sit and wait to see what else WB has in store. They've already made a smart move with "Arkham Asylum", a maze that was always begged for back during the days of the Vault forums. It'll be very interesting to see what else they've got planned...

The fact that Orlando has nearly their entire event revealed while we only have 3 mazes (when you include TWD attraction) and 1 SZ announced, with the event beginning in literally 75 days (73 for Employee Preview)... Its like all of the major SoCal haunts are keeping everything close to their chest (even though Midsummer Scream/ScareLA is when they unload nearly everything). Hollywood needs to get their act together after last year. If we're getting the classic monsters, an original NON-IP terror tram & other NON-IP SZs... that crap could've and should've been announced already while they putz around with their IP shuffle..

Honestly, we should also gotten Killer Klownz and even Chucky as scarezones. Chucky is an iconic staple for Hollywood's event, so him returning for another SZ would not be terrible. This coast is tired of Murdy-era clowns at the event, but Killer Klownz would've been a welcome IP..

Even Murdy's alleged original maze that was swapped out for an IP probably would've been better (even though it'd probably just be all black walls with no scenic)

On the topic of The Purge, I think the maze could end up being a sleeper hit. If designed right it could showcase the intensity of the Purge while also going through different environments(neighborhoods, parks, alleys, apartments), and could end up being pretty good. But that’s IF Murdy goes creative with it. Worst case scenario is a house of random alley ways and black hallways with box scares.

The only speculated maze I think could be a Last Jedi, like The Shining was, for this year is Poltergeist since I think that one needs a ton of creativity to fill up a maze, and the budget for a few puppets

On the topic of The Purge, I think the maze could end up being a sleeper hit. If designed right it could showcase the intensity of the Purge while also going through different environments(neighborhoods, parks, alleys, apartments), and could end up being pretty good.
but thats the thing... we already got the perfect Purge maze in 2016 with "The Purge: Gauntlet of Fear". It was one of the most underrated mazes that year that Universal classified it as a SZ even though it had a clear entrance & exit. The cast was perfect, but could've benefited from having more scareactors.

"IF" we do end up getting a Purge maze, it'd need to be original to help promote bluray sales for "The First Purge" & also promote the new Purge tv series. Here's the thing, the Purge only works if you have the right cast. So if you don't get a cast that you'd find in the entrance scarezone full of energy or a cast of Purgers like the Gauntlet of Fear or HoB, then it will fail.

Reactions: Joey
Aside from the properties everyone wants to come(IT, Conjuring, Scream, Hellraiser), I would kill for the day Black Christmas(1974), Twin Peaks, Cabin in the Woods, AHS Asylum, Silence of the Lambs, and The Hills Have Eyes could come to HHN

Edit - KKFOS & The Strangers would be badass too. And everything in @Dr. Herbert West list too; now if only Blumhouse could pick these properties up:grin:

Not popular with the GP?... You need to stop thinking with Murdy's thought process. Remember... Knotts, Queen Mary & Fright Fest bring in the masses every year without relying on some big name IP...

Lol I'm not privy to Murdy's personal thought process, so I'm not thinking with it.

Phantasm would have such great environments and characters, and I would kill to see it as a maze, but I can't see Universal signing off a maze with evil Jawas from another dimension.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdogsumo
Aside from the properties everyone wants to come(IT, Conjuring, Scream, Hellraiser), I would kill for the day Black Christmas(1974), Twin Peaks, Cabin in the Woods, AHS Asylum, Silence of the Lambs, and The Hills Have Eyes could come to HHN

Edit - KKFOS & The Strangers would be badass too. And everything in @Dr. Herbert West list too; now if only Blumhouse could pick these properties up:grin:

I know like I'm beating a dead horse but a Twin Peaks house in itself could be terrifying. It's not a property much people know about but word of mouth could be amazing if the house uses its horror scenes effectively. Out of the box IPs could do wonders.

I know like I'm beating a dead horse but a Twin Peaks house in itself could be terrifying. It's not a property much people know about but word of mouth could be amazing if the house uses its horror scenes effectively. Out of the box IPs could do wonders.

Twin Peaks would be awesome; I don’t get the argument about Lynch not fitting though. When translated to the house all that people are gonna pay attention to are the sets and scares so the plot wouldn’t matter. Wasn’t it rumored to come this year?

Edit - Does anyone else remember earlier in the year when it was stated by Murdy that there would be a maze with snow in it? None of the properties now would have that so I think he may have designed Thing before it got scrapped

Twin Peaks would be awesome; I don’t get the argument about Lynch not fitting though. When translated to the house all that people are gonna pay attention to are the sets and scares so the plot wouldn’t matter. Wasn’t it rumored to come this year?

Edit - Does anyone else remember earlier in the year when it was stated by Murdy that there would be a maze with snow in it? None of the properties now would have that so I think he may have designed Thing before it got scrapped

UNLESS, it's a Poltergeist compilation house.