Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 202 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I really hope they don't do the dimension thing because that was in the remake and part of what made the remake such an awful movie haha. However, that's a possibility if they wish to take some creative liberties and do something WAY different from the remake.

I think this maze can work well if it's 6-7ish scenes and then ending with a small scene then 3-4ish dark transition rooms with scare after scare from key characters, big puppets, etc. This worked perfect for La Llorona, Insidious, The Thing, American Werewolf, some of the most well regarded mazes we've ever had.

You obviously have your first room, which I'm sure will be the little girl at the TV as an intro scene, flashing lights from the TV, Carol Anne's voice of just plain talking and ofcourse "They're Here" and no scares.
Next scene will be the tree attack and Carol Anne floating off the bed.
Transition, dark room, tree puppet scare.
Next scene you'll need some of Carol Anne's voice flowing through the air and ending with a scare.
Next we'd be back in the bedroom, this time in chaos with things floating everywhere, similar to Exorcist.
Next will be the steak in the kitchen and small bathroom and face ripping scene.
Next could be that scary scene where the mom goes to the door and it makes a scary sound, just a random hallway in the maze.
I think this would be a good time to throw in the caterpillar scene from the second one, because why not.
Next we'd have them pulling the rope. Turn down a dark hallway, boom giant face puppet.
They rescue her, them in the bathtub, nice happy music, we think the maze is over.
NEVERMIND, CLOWN ATTACK scene with the little kid.
Turn down a dark hallway, pop out clown.
Then we need the mom in bed being harassed by the ghost as she's being thrown around the room.
Then there's a stilts type ghost that screams at the mom from the stairs. Instead of rebuilding the stairs and living room, I say resort to more dark hallway and then that puppet or stilts man.
For funsies, if we want, we can have a pool scene, basically the mom in mud trying to climb out. I don't think it's necessary but this could transition to the walls around us becoming muddy.
We can't have coffins popping out of the ground, but we can have coffins already out and skeleton scareactors popping out of their coffins (or playing dead and reaching out) in REALLY close quarters. 2 or 3 of them, almost like the catacombs in HOH, but even closer. They did a similar scare in Dracula Untold maze, I believe. This would be a lot better than a hanging body room.
Now we go back through some of the house, more skeletons popping out.
There's a really great moment in the movie of a long hallway and a door brimming with red light as the mom runs to save them and it gets longer and longer, would love to see that in here. Throw that in here because why not.
Dark hallway, pop out skeleton scare.
Some type of special effect, or a bunch of fans sucking us in, or projection in the distance of the house imploding (or all three). Need a sound byte of YOU ONLY MOVED THE STONES!!!
THE END
Not. Henry Kane pops out at the end for one last scare in a dark hallway.
THE REAL END.

If anything, they could cut some of this stuff down as this is a pretty packed maze.

Maybe it's just me, but even that packed version sounds underwhelming. Relies on a lot of out-of-context scares, but, it's still one of the more promising properties this year (which unfortunately isn't saying much).

Here's a different kind of "doom & gloom" in regards to this year's event. So while we're getting "The First Purge", "Blumhouse 2.0", etc.... Universal could've & should've talked to their pals over at Lionsgate instead because THIS teaser trailer dropped the other day and it has HHN maze written all over it. Can't wait to see it... would've been perfect for the Metro Sets (Purge or Blumhouse location)

Mazes are roughly 8-10 scenes. Off the top of my head from this trailer alone... This is NOT the proper order of scenes, but you get the idea. Plus the barker would be the twitter password guy out front.

facade - vampire hell fest face
1 - corridor of arms
2 - white mask crowded room
3 - hanging body crowded room
4 - neon glow corridor
5 - Midway of Kills (guillotine, giant hammer, girl getting stabbed)
6 - dark ride
7 - skeletal day of the dead-esque caged go-go dancers
8 - Midway of monsters
9 - green laser light room
10 - dead end giant vehicle scare
11 - strobe light slightly less crowded room

Last edited:
Here's a different kind of "doom & gloom" in regards to this year's event. So while we're getting "The First Purge", "Blumhouse 2.0", etc.... Universal could've & should've talked to their pals over at Lionsgate instead because THIS teaser trailer dropped the other day and it has HHN maze written all over it. Can't wait to see it... would've been perfect for the Metro Sets (Purge or Blumhouse location)

Mazes are roughly 8-10 scenes. Off the top of my head from this trailer alone... This is NOT the proper order of scenes, but you get the idea. Plus the barker would be the twitter password guy out front.

facade - vampire hell fest face
1 - corridor of arms
2 - white mask crowded room
3 - hanging body crowded room
4 - neon glow corridor
5 - Midway of Kills (guillotine, giant hammer, girl getting stabbed)
6 - dark ride
7 - skeletal day of the dead-esque caged go-go dancers
8 - Midway of monsters
9 - green laser light room
10 - dead end giant vehicle scare
11 - strobe light slightly less crowded room

And it's produced by Gale Anne Hurd.. best known for producing Marketing's precious wittle angel, The Walking Dead..

Uhhhh... well we still could be getting it. Technically.
And most likely, there's always next year. Y'all know well enough Murdy ain't gonna jump on something that ain't proven successful yet.
I'ma see it regardless, but it looks underwhelming considering the concept (something a lot of horror writers have written themselves already, myself included). Nonetheless, glad it's finally happening. 10-15 years later than the idea's been kicked around, so it has a lot to live up to in the horror community. And it looks like it'll fail and be some PG-13 trash. I'd like nothing more than to be wrong.
And IMO, the environments look very basic. But that's by nature so that everyone not into Haunts can understand.

And IMO, the environments look very basic.
It might seem basic, but that kinda works for haunt events to improve upon the environments so they are fresh/new. Execution is key. Besides, with Murdy at the helm, it almost needs to be basic so his "black wall" mentality can actually process it in order to NOT give us Black Wall Fest 2018/19/20..

Too harsh? Not harsh enough? I never can tell.. I mean, we're getting The First Purge & Blumhouse 2.0..

My god...this kind gave me some hope. I really wish this is true. If so, this would be the best anime plot twist of all time.

Now that I think about it.. Freddy WAS at both events last year.. who's to say they didn't dance around the rights issues by branding him under Titans of Terror/Freddy Vs. Jason instead of NOES? Could very well be a way they can dance around Horror Made Here's usage of the New Line IPs..

Has there ever been a time where Murdy actually trolled people thinking this property is coming to the event, but it isn't?