Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 224 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Let's compare 2017 vs. 2018.

The classic maze. Shining vs. Poltergeist.
Alright, without a doubt Shining is a bigger classic, easier to see how it can be done as a maze, and more requested. However, that leaves more room for disappointment. It was shoved into the cramped Mummy venue and that was essentially All She Wrote for that maze. Poltergeist has one of the bigger Metro sets and the facade already is pretty big. And giving the movie another watch, especially if including the sequels, there's a lot more to play around with in terms of Haunt usage. Shining was more psychological anyway, but Poltergeist is pure haunted house mayhem if done right.
Winner: 2018

The TV Show maze. AHS: Roanoke vs. Stranger Things.
Roanoke was divisive, but the maze was fantastic. It was dark, never ending, scary, and brutal. However, everyone loves Stranger Things. The budget going into this thing will be massive, and it'll be in a soundstage with what will probably be insane amount of detail and scenic work. There will also be more puppetry, crazy scareactor designs, and iconic locations. Roanoke's mood, tone and gore may be classic Haunt, but Stranger Things will seem like a breath of fresh air.

The Cult maze. Ash vs. Evil Dead vs. Trick r Treat
AvED secretly wanted to be Evil Dead in disguise, but unfortunately, it wasn't. It was also long awaited, much like TrT has been. We got the show instead, and it COULD HAVE BEEN really awesome, but it was the biggest component of the Black Wallz of Death that 2017 was. Now, TrT could easily be the same, but it has a lot going for it. With different stories, it has the potential to change itself up so it doesn't run into monotony by the end, like AvED did. It can easily change tone and scenery after 2 or 3 scenes. AvED somehow felt very stale for such a fun show. While TrT can have the cute, fun, comedic Krampus like moments, but also the darkness of something like TCM.
Winner: 2018.

The Return of Old Familiar. Saw vs. Halloween
Saw at first seemed like a welcome back. Then they did nothing new with it. It had nowhere near the same energy that the first mazes had. Halloween 4 at least is saying it'll be based solely on a completely different movie, with a different tone, soundtrack, kills, etc.. The Halloween 2 maze was one of the greats, and if they go anywhere near the same direction of even 10% originality, they could strike that hot iron again.
Winner: 2018.

The NOT THIS AGAIN. Insidious vs. The First Purge
I've loved each iteration of the Insidious mazes and I'm almost 100% sure even the worst one (the 2017 one) will be better than the First Purge. With that said, we are getting something very new here. We're getting the first Purge (no pun intended) in earnest maze form. I personally don't count the gauntlet as a maze. And I don't count the first 1/3 of HOB as much of a Purge maze either. This will be the first time getting some enclosed spaces, full scenes, and trigger scares. All I'm saying is, in comparison to Insidious for a third time, at least this will be seen in a completely new light for The Purge that it hasn't quite done before. Again, Insidious I'm sure was and forever will be a much better maze, but I at least anticipate The First Purge as a maze a bit more. So that's the only reason I'm leaning towards TFP. But I can't fully go in that direction, because I know the maze quality for Insidious was so great, so this one for me is a --
TIE

The Mash Up Maze. Titans of Terror vs. Universal Monsters

As cool as ToT was as a concept, it failed to bring us all the monsters at once. Not saying UCM will, but we've seen the ToT on their own multiple times. UCM, ironically, is fresh and new. It doesn't need to be connected as seeing these in one maze will be a treat in of itself. It also lends itself to more gothic locations, make up design, and possibly even sound (whatever weird musician is throwing itself in there).

The Horrors of Blumhouse: Chapter 1 vs Chapter 2.
I hated chapter one, but no doubt that sounds helluva lot better than the properties in chapter 2. The only redeeming value the new one has is the "how the hell are they going to do that?" And if the first year was any indication, the answer is poorly. Very poorly.
Winner: 2017

2018 was the overwhelming victor. We definitely don't have a 2017 on our hands. Even if the event is bad, it won't be THAT bad again. At least not this year.

Monsters is a weird blind spot for me, info-wise. If someone wants to chime in...

We're under the impression it's a musician. Are we sure it isn't someone like Eli Roth?

Monsters is a weird blind spot for me, info-wise. If someone wants to chime in...

We're under the impression it's a musician. Are we sure it isn't someone like Eli Roth?
It could be Seth Rogen, for all I care, at least it's some classic monsters!!!

Oh God, I jinxed it now, didn't I....

Reactions: HorrorNightsFan13
So we are still waiting on official word about the properties used in HOB 2 and the collaboration on UCM is that correct?

So we are still waiting on official word about the properties used in HOB 2 and the collaboration on UCM is that correct?
We know the properties in HOB 2, unfortunately. If you didn't see the picture, I guess you'll have to wait haha
Hint: It's the ones that have been rumored all along.

I know people were thinking it was Alice Cooper, but that's probably cause they were looking at Murdy's Alice in Wonderland tweets in a different way.

Universal Classic Monsters presented by Guillermo Del Toro would be an ideal match, for example.

That would be fantastic but it feels too good to be true. I kinda have a feeling that either the UCM slot is just a placeholder and didnt have the title with the musician up yet or that collaboration didnt work out and it was removed (hoping for the later)

Off topic but a Guillermo Del Toro house similar to HOB based off his Cabinet of Curiosities book/ exhibit would be really fun.

That would be fantastic but it feels too good to be true. I kinda have a feeling that either the UCM slot is just a placeholder and didnt have the title with the musician up yet or that collaboration didnt work out and it was removed (hoping for the later)

Off topic but a Guillermo Del Toro house similar to HOB based off his Cabinet of Curiosities book/ exhibit would be really fun.

It's definitely too good to be true despite Del Toro's collaboration with Crimson Peak. The leaked art doesn't reflect his aesthetic at all.

A Cabinet of Curiosities maze would be legendary. Cronos, Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, Crimson Peak, Hellboy II (a Universal release), and Shape... what a mash-up maze that would be.

Reactions: chris.g
No meal included with RIP this year?? And any guesses on the interactive behind the scenes experiences mentioned in the description. Does that mean no more tour or is that just a fancy description for a behind the scenes of the mazes tour? I know it says props and photo ops, maybe they are to be housed in the building where the buffet was last year? Without the meal, I'm debating between the 2 PM ticket to do Potter and Panda (and eat at the Potter restaurant) and RIP. Included meal and parking always helped me justify the cost in the past. I do like my unlimited line jumping though. Wish RIP could get in at 2PM.

No meal included with RIP this year??
Pretty sure it said there's a buffet/dinner on the upper lot AND the lower lot.'

EDIT: Couldn't find it in the terms and conditions, so I thought I was going crazy for a minute, but I found it on the main website:
  • Gourmet buffet dinner with drinks* at exclusive VIP Dining Room & Lounge
  • Second lounge area on the Lower Lot for drinks* and desserts during your tour

Pretty sure it said there's a buffet/dinner on the upper lot AND the lower lot.

Oh geez, you are correct. I only looked at the information in the pop-up that happened when I clicked on "learn more" about RIP on the ticket page. Buffet was NOT included in that list, but it IS included in the list of items when you click RIP on the main page.

Guess I'm going to HHN on 10/4 and WB on 10/5 (trying to decide how busy opening night at WB will be, the one-time FOL pass there is quite a bit more than the regular ticket). Changed my plans from doing both Knott's and HHN cause WB sounds interesting if they do it right. Can't do all 3 cause I have plans on the 6th and I don't feel like doing another 2+ hour drive that month.

Last edited:
Hype List (aka Most Anticipated)

Universal Monsters - I'm ready for another semi-original maze and some Universal monster goodness! I cannot WAIT to see what's in store for the Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster and Dracula. I hope it's dark, gothic, scary, and maybe even a little bloody. Maybe it's my House of Horrors nostalgia kicking in, but I've missed that so much and I was ALWAYS a big fan of it even when people pissed on it year after year hoping for something new. NOW look what we have, the freakin' Walking Dead which relatively SUCKS in comparison. The facade is beautiful and I know Murdy is a huge fan, so I can't wait to see all the easter eggs. Here's hoping we get some Creature from the Black Lagoon, Invisible Man, Jeckyl/Hyde and even the Mummy! I'm guessing Phantom and Hunchback didn't make the cut, so that's why they'll be in the scarezone, but even that is pretty awesome!

Poltergeist - I think the sound design alone should be terrifying. Underrated as far as the classics go and if they do this anywhere near as good as I think it could be, this will be at least an A-. Very well could be maze of the year.

Trick R Treat - Now I don't think this will be the scariest maze ever or anything, but I've been waiting for this for a loooong time. I think the environments alone will make me happy, even if the scares suck. Like AVP, that maze didn't need to be scary to be awesome, but it was, so it's an all time favorite. This will probably be one of my favorites just based on set design, which will at least make it average.

Stranger Things - Like TrT, I'm imagining the sets will have a lot of WOW factor. If they can pull off the scares and a tone that works for a Haunt, this may end up a favorite as well.

Halloween 4 - Nothing has quite reached Halloween 2009 level, but the other two mazes weeeeere good. If this leans more into the 2016 iteration, then we should have something special.

The First Purge - I'm actually rather excited for this, I think this could be the underdog. I'm sure it'll have a few surprises, as well.

Terror Tram - This is where I start getting bored, but considering we're at the bottom of the list, that's pretty good. Hollywood Harry is fun, but everything else described is so generic and overdone. I'm only excited for the scarecrows. I hope it has as many sets as 2016, then it'll at least be a decent walkthrough.

Horrors of Blumhouse 2 - Saying this is at the bottom of my list is an understatement. Garbage. I'd rather they cut the maze and allocate the budget into the other mazes to spruce them up, or even put more walkers in the Walking Dead. I'd be surprised if this is anything higher than a D+. Of all the things in the WORLD they could've done that weren't WB or Fox, this is what they came up with? Universal has way better titles in their very own library. WHACK.

Reactions: hhnlover
Having been doing VIP since '11, I wasn't too thrilled with the experience and price increase last year, and not thrilled this year. So I'm just doing Universal Express Unlimited for opening night; I'm glad they offered that option this year, given unlimited front of the line was the main reason for doing VIP in the first place.

Having been doing VIP since '11, I wasn't too thrilled with the experience and price increase last year, and not thrilled this year. So I'm just doing Universal Express Unlimited for opening night; I'm glad they offered that option this year, given unlimited front of the line was the main reason for doing VIP in the first place.
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's an Unlimited option. The only way is still VIP.
There's a Day/Night Express, maybe that's what you're confusing it with.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's an Unlimited option. The only way is still VIP.
There's a Day/Night Express, maybe that's what you're confusing it with.

No, actually when you place the Universal Express in your cart, you're given the option to upgrade to Universal Express Unlimited. So for opening night, you go from $179 (Universal Express) to $269 (Universal Express Unlimited). I called the ticket place at USH and they confirmed it is unlimited front of the line for all attractions.

No, actually when you place the Universal Express in your cart, you're given the option to upgrade to Universal Express Unlimited. So for opening night, you go from $179 (Universal Express) to $269 (Universal Express Unlimited). I called the ticket place at USH and they confirmed it is unlimited front of the line for all attractions.
Oh snap, nice find!!!!
Still nowhere near worth it for me, but I'm glad they have the option for those who want it.
Although, for me personally, that's only $10 away from RIP on a cheap night and I'd rather just do that.

Reactions: MacMillian Crew