Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saying there's an entire world of Asian horror cinema that has largely been ignored by the haunt community, despite seeing tons of Uzunmaki shirts worn by guests at the park.

As far as I know, only Knott's has tackled this area with Grudge 2 (one of their few ventures into IP) and the original Shadowlands. HHN hasn't really touched it at all, which is such a huge omission to me. Things like The Ring has entered mainstream by now, and would be marketable, IMO.

I really think M3gan's success (it will be a successful horror movie for sure) will make it either a part of Blumhouse this year or a house next year.

I dunno. Pinhead is fairly recognizable, even if a majority of the general public hasn't seen the movie or isn't really sure what it's about. The original film would be tough to adapt without making it just a semi-original "such sights to show you" hellscape. (Kinda not unlike what they did with Chucky considering they don't have control over the original film.)

The new film is FOX > Disney, so I imagine that complicates things. The rights for this franchise have been wonky for a while, with WB/HBO concurrently developing a series that has yet to come to fruition.

True, and God only knows the event has featured smaller properties.

Iirc the line from Murdy has always been that they'll do it when the remake happens, which makes me think the issue was always licensing costs/low awareness rather than anything intrinsic preventing it from coming (another indicator of low interest: there's no reason why the new remake couldn't have been a studio theatrical release a la Scream). Couldn't happen this time around due to Hulu, but it feels like something that will eventually happen.

I really think M3gan's success (it will be a successful horror movie for sure) will make it either a part of Blumhouse this year or a house next year.

I could see M3gan as a standalone tbh. Folks aren't prepared, that movies gonna do NUMBERS.

They can do a little Blumhouse compilation house along with it, Insidious, Purge, Ma and a TV show or something.

Last edited:
So we've got Chucky. I'm thinking, just my opinion:
  • another Universal Monsters instalment seems logical, would love to see Dracula (and Renfield film is coming).
  • TerrorTram - Crystal Lake would be interesting.
  • Maybe some new Exorcist or more of a mashup, they paid a fortune for the rights and the new film.
  • Evil Dead Rise, maybe they'll be in a better position than the rumored near miss of 2022.
  • Knock at the Cabin sounds promising
  • Maybe Smile mashed up with another B'house.
  • Winnie the Pooh : Blood and Honey would be a good comedy house, though I'd go every night if they did Cocaine Bear lol.
  • An original covering another legend like La Llorona.
I guess there's always the hope of getting Scream or any of those hard to get ones. Hellraiser seems more higher profile than it has been in a while as well.
Smile isn’t a Blumhouse movie — although it definitely feels like one! I believe Paramount hold the rights, and I’m not sure what kind of standing they have with USH, if any. I would bet on not seeing Smile at the event, though.

As far as Blumhouse goes, if this Megan movie ends up being a hit, I could definitely see that. I feel like the Exorcist remake is coming out at the wrong time, otherwise it would also make sense.

With how FNAFs production schedule seems to be on par with other Blumhouse films (2 month shoot), might it be unfeasible to consider FNAFs presence? Even if a limited one.

With how FNAFs production schedule seems to be on par with other Blumhouse films (2 month shoot), might it be unfeasible to consider FNAFs presence? Even if a limited one.

Unless it's scheduled to come out this year (and I don't think it is?), I wouldn't expect it 2024. Maybe teaser ads if they have something ready.

Unless it's scheduled to come out this year (and I don't think it is?), I wouldn't expect it 2024. Maybe teaser ads if they have something ready.

And I get that, but I'm wondering more intently on it than ever.

I do think Blumhouse at HHN '23 with The Exorcist, Insidious, and M3GAN would be a heck of a combo that could work wonders in marketing; but I do wonder what could happen if FNAF is on the table for atleast Holiday 2023. Feel like you could do something with the FNAF brand, even if it's an Original-IP more than a direct adaptation of the film (for context, think Original-IP is the way to go in FNAF. Feels the best way to tackle the medium).

Won't be shocked if your right though--but it's in my mind. Especially as I have to think Universal wouldn't want to pass up on one of the bigger horror brands in general media as of late (doubly so given the first look deal Uni Pictures has with Blumhouse).

Last edited:
If FNAF gets released earlier in 2024 (like January or maaaaaaybe February) then they could definitely slot in a section based off of it in a Blumhouse compilation house. Basically, if there's a trailer in September, then they can do a section. If there isn't or there's just a teaser poster or something, maybe they could get away with a small "coming attractions" section (like, literally one or two rooms) at the end of a house.

Just saying there's an entire world of Asian horror cinema that has largely been ignored by the haunt community, despite seeing tons of Uzunmaki shirts worn by guests at the park.

As far as I know, only Knott's has tackled this area with Grudge 2 (one of their few ventures into IP) and the original Shadowlands. HHN hasn't really touched it at all, which is such a huge omission to me. Things like The Ring has entered mainstream by now, and would be marketable, IMO.

This has been discussed quite a bit over in the Orlando thread, but ultimately I don't see the stateside HHN's doing them unless there are those on the creative team who really, really want to do them. Your best bet on Asian horror is HHN Singapore, and I can see Knott's doing another Asian horror maze down the line since their previous mazes have been well received. Meanwhile with Hollywood, the last time they featured Asian Horror (Spirits & Demons of the East zone in 2019), that got mired over a particular character.

In other topics, I stand by what I've said earlier regarding FNAF. If the film somehow is released later next year, there could be a chance it's a 2023 house. If not, then without a single doubt it's a front-runner for 2024 spec, period.

Genuinely think he's with Quasimodo for the HHN 23' House. Not buying him fighting Quasimodo though (infact, I think they both would actually work together in a way).

As far as why I think this is for HHN, I think on it for a few reasons:
  1. With The Phantom of The Opera, this is a character that has had numerous iterations of that core key masked character. And at this point, it wouldn't be out of place if they needed to ensure, that the character could be replicated for the context of the parks, while not imitating or mimicking that of what previous iterations and incarnations have done.
  2. When HHN '18 occured for Hollywood, the Universal Monster rollout all had a revamp for the sake of the house (for those featured), with distinct and varied designs by Crash McCreary. Assuming Point 1 stands, this would fall in line: as they would need to ensure that the characters represented mimick that of what Crash McCreary has since formerly established (Alongside updates to the Crash takes from 2018). Phantom of The Opera actually was present in a small sequence within the house then, so they do have a basis to go off of from then to here.
The new Phantom appears to share similar aspects to Orlandos. Particularly, the clothing more than the mask and face. Infact to focus on the head, it almost looks like the forehead of the mask, is cracked as you can see elements of the disfigurement that occured onto the Phantom when he was birthed (in the book, his mother swallowed poison to try to kill him).

It think they've shown interest in the past, but i think costumes were a big issue that prevented them from really working it out. Assuming they figured out a workaround I think it's a pretty safe bet at some point, though with how rocky the movies production has been I don't think they'd lock it in for HHN until shooting is already well underway and theres no chance for even further delays.

So Universal is marketing M3GAN throughout Hollywood/Citywalk. The property appears to be something Universal is fearless in promoting before its theatrical release.

So Universal is marketing M3GAN throughout Hollywood/Citywalk. The property appears to be something Universal is fearless in promoting before its theatrical release.

because it's actually a good campy horror movie and it's gonna be a hit in the genre for sure. even the test screen had walk up music (which never happens), they know they got a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.