Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 299 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are half a dozen fine podcasts each with an episode on the history of Eddie Schmidt. Scream Queens is a good place to start.

EDIT: Don't say I never did you any favors.

Appreciate it. Thank you!

Reactions: RevFreako
Cindy had a great scare at HHN 25 for M&M. Wonder if they’re going to recreate that room again for icons.
They do not.
I know, but SCarey (the anniversary/house compilation house) is in MIB.
Icons is the primary anniversary/compilation house. SCarey was developed as a fan-service house along the lines of Orfanage. The houses it pulls from are more cult favorite than fan favorite.

They do not.
Icons is the primary anniversary/compilation house. SCarey was developed as a fan-service house along the lines of Orfanage. The houses it pulls from are more cult favorite than fan favorite.

So icons will be new scenes for each character based on their history? Not recreations of old rooms, right?

They do not.
Ah, okay. What exactly do you mean by it being a fan-service house though? I tried looking up an Orfanage video for an example, and couldn't find any good walkthrough.

So icons will be new scenes for each character based on their history? Not recreations of old rooms, right?
They will be scenes we recognize, but not specifically recreated scenes from houses.

Look at commercials and press photos for some insight.

Ah, okay. What exactly do you mean by it being a fan-service house though? I tried looking up an Orfanage video for an example, and couldn't find any good walkthrough.
By “fan service,” I mean a house that requires a deeper understanding if the event’s history rather than a fairly superficial remembrance of the obvious.

In 2010, Hallow’d Past was the primary anniversary house. It predominantly featured easily recognizable scenes and characters that the majority of returning guests would remember (Scary Tales, Body Collectors, Icons) and a couple of deeper but identifiable cuts (Frightanic, Treaks & Foons).

Orfanage was explicitly for the fans (look at the spelling) who knew about Cindy and her original story where she burned downthe family home herself and escaped, to be placed in an orphanage. The vast majority of people didn’t know that story. But hard-core fans did. Fan service. But, it wasn’t the focus. That’s why they stuck it in Jaws queue (well and the fire).

This year, Icons is the easily accessible anniversary house. The icons are easily recognizable and their settings are, predominantly, tropes that even the most casual fan can look at and say “I get that reference.” There’s some more obscure references, but it’s predominantly a house for “everyone.”

SCary, similar to Orfanage, requires a much deeper knowledge of HHN history. It’s pulling much deeper cuts where canon is more important than popularity. To casual fans, it will likely feel like a completely original house with all new characters. People who have encyclopedic knowledge of the event, or who have been attending for 20 years, are going to have a far far deeper appreciation and understanding of what they’re seeing.

By “fan service,” I mean a house that requires a deeper understanding if the event’s history rather than a fairly superficial remembrance of the obvious.

SCary, similar to Orfanage, requires a much deeper knowledge of HHN history. It’s pulling much deeper cuts where canon is more important than popularity. To casual fans, it will likely feel like a completely original house with all new characters. People who have encyclopedic knowledge of the event, or who have been attending for 20 years, are going to have a far far deeper appreciation and understanding of what they’re seeing.

I'll also add that a house like SCarey doesn't need to be in a soundstage, especially considering a good chunk of the houses represented were never in soundstages. They were in the Sprung Tents or the Disaster Queue, so the MIB tent is a really good fit for this house.

They will be scenes we recognize, but not specifically recreated scenes from houses.

Look at commercials and press photos for some insight.

In 2010, Hallow’d Past was the primary anniversary house. It predominantly featured easily recognizable scenes and characters that the majority of returning guests would remember (Scary Tales, Body Collectors, Icons) and a couple of deeper but identifiable cuts (Frightanic, Treaks & Foons).

Orfanage was explicitly for the fans (look at the spelling) who knew about Cindy and her original story where she burned downthe family home herself and escaped, to be placed in an orphanage. The vast majority of people didn’t know that story. But hard-core fans did. Fan service. But, it wasn’t the focus. That’s why they stuck it in Jaws queue (well and the fire).

This year, Icons is the easily accessible anniversary house. The icons are easily recognizable and their settings are, predominantly, tropes that even the most casual fan can look at and say “I get that reference.” There’s some more obscure references, but it’s predominantly a house for “everyone.”

Well... SCarey just skyrocketed up my anticipation list. Thank you!

Tent
Tent
Soundstage
Soundstage
Street
Queue
Queue
Tent
Soundstage

It's such an eclectic bunch, I honestly love they're going that route.
A nice advantage to the Carey angle is it avoids an issue that has happened in Hallow'd Past, which it focused too much on one year (2008), I don't think every year has a house etc. located in Carey, so it's a lot more forgiving in that regard.

Reactions: HHNObsession
It's such an eclectic bunch, I honestly love they're going that route.
A nice advantage to the Carey angle is it avoids an issue that has happened in Hallow'd Past, which it focused too much on one year (2008), I don't think every year has a house etc. located in Carey, so it's a lot more forgiving in that regard.
It’s pretty evenly spread over 13 years, though 2009 has a couple of scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.