Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 104 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has arrived, and by God this sounds like a beautiful house year!

So, continuing the thought process of Halloween being a placeholder/distraction and the like, I've just noticed something. Look at the font for Halloween on the spec map.

At first glance, it most certainly is ITC Serif Gothic Heavy, which is the font notably used for the original Halloween and many of its sequels. But at a second glance, I can't help but notice there's quite a gap between the "O" and the "W". One look at a poster for the film and all the letters are tightly spaced together, there's no gap whatsoever.

When IPs are shown on the spec map, the titles are pretty much true to form on what they are. Just look at The Last of Us and The Evil Dead. So, to have a slightly off title of Halloween, it really does feel somethings not quite right here.

Also, if there really is anything that's gonna' be "meta" at the event, a house base off of a haunted house run on Halloween night would be rather dang meta, wouldn't it?

I feel like Seeds of Extinction 2 is a high possibility instead of last of us, both share an overgrown aesthetic and it was a pretty popular house with really great scares, and I think it was the last time we saw the tilted floor. It makes sense that it’s time to revisit that concept

I feel like Seeds of Extinction 2 is a high possibility instead of last of us, both share an overgrown aesthetic and it was a pretty popular house with really great scares, and I think it was the last time we saw the tilted floor. It makes sense that it’s time to revisit that concept
Good point, but, to be frank, there was a little bit of steam for TLOU a bit earlier thanks to a comment by the game’s director, along with the upcoming HBO show. I think there’s definitely a reason it’s on the spec map, but whether or not it’s for this year is in the air

It would be cool if there was a Hazbin Hotel and/or Helluva Boss haunted house or scarezone in Halloween Horror Nights, based on Vivziepop's Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss. This could work for a Halloween Horror Nights event, since they are both adults web series and has some terrifying moments, characters, and gorey scenes. It could happen since Ghostbusters, despite being mostly comedy, has been added in 2019's Halloween Horror Nights as a haunted house. Sure, Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss may be both animated series, but if they could pull off Ghostbusters, they could succeed in their Hazbin Hotel and/or Helluva Boss haunted house/scarezone. It's just my speculation and wishful thinking. ^_^

You can look up more information on both Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss here: Hazbin Hotel Wiki (but be warned, these two animated series may be inappropriate for anyone younger than adults)

• Love
Reactions: HHN Maddux
Really surprised to see a lack of Gremlins and Chucky on the map, but we'll see what happens. Not surprised to see Halloween given it's 31.

I'm on the boat that we may have to wait until 2023 to see a The Last of Us house actually happen, but in the chance that it does end up happening for 31 I will be very interested. First video game property in a very long time and I think this has great potential.

I've already spoken my peace with The Weeknd's house, which seems all but confirmed at this point. Play some Daft Punk and I'll be a happy GA-MBIT.

Fear Street makes sense to win the Netflix representative battle royale with Stranger Things dropping next year. Always a fan of ocean themed houses, and with Chupacabra finally coming back and Pandora switching coasts, this could be a really nice lineup. A lot more interesting than I would've guessed the first spec map would be.

It would be cool if there was a Hazbin Hotel and/or Helluva Boss haunted house or scarezone in Halloween Horror Nights, based on Vivziepop's Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss. This could work for a Halloween Horror Nights event, since they are both adults web series and has some terrifying moments, characters, and gorey scenes. It could happen since Ghostbusters, despite being mostly comedy, has been added in 2019's Halloween Horror Nights as a haunted house. Sure, Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss may be both animated series, but if they could pull off Ghostbusters, they could succeed in their Hazbin Hotel and/or Helluva Boss haunted house/scarezone. It's just my speculation and wishful thinking. ^_^

You can look up more information on both Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss here: Hazbin Hotel Wiki (but be warned, these two animated series may be inappropriate for anyone younger than adults)
I wouldn’t be too surprised, especially by Hazbin Hotel. But definitely not this year

Going to the speculation of a mega house, bear in mind, HHNO has clearly copied Knott’s Scary Farms content.

The Depths > Depths of Fear
The Toothfairy > Revenge of the Toothfairy

Knott’s has done a meta house called “Dark Ride”. Could totally see them DK this but with an actual haunted house within a haunted house.

Reactions: queenmetroid
Going to the speculation of a mega house, bear in mind, HHNO has clearly copied Knott’s Scary Farms content.

Knott’s has done a meta house called “Dark Ride”. Could totally see them DK this but with an actual haunted house within a haunted house.
When did Tooth Fairy come to Knott's?

I'm gonna' severely disagree that Depths of Fear was copying The Depths, and I love the Depths. It's been mentioned several times that Depths of Fear was influenced by films such as Leviathan and Deep Star Six, with its core focus of sea creatures attacking an underwater base. The Depths on the other hand, goes all over the place with Lovecraftian ties and various subterranean caves, ruins and even a Pirate ship. Yes, there's a sub, but it's used literally for one room with a tilted floor and that's it.

In the Haunt industry, many themes have been used by all sorts of haunts large and small time and time again. Even themes that may seem more niche, case in point a friend of mine who works a haunt in CT did an Edgar Allen Poe scene years before HHN *and* HoS did theirs at the same time. Unless there's specific copyrights involved with a theme, IP, character etc... a haunt using a similar theme that another one used is a non-issue.

Reactions: reeseyNG
I think the Last of Us could work as a haunted house...It would break up the movie IP and original ideas pretty well. I don't know how many video game themed IP's Universal has had in the past, or if they worked well.

I think the Last of Us could work as a haunted house...It would break up the movie IP and original ideas pretty well. I don't know how many video game themed IP's Universal has had in the past, or if they worked well.

Welcome to the forums!

As for Video Game IP's Universal has done, not that many and the track record isn't too good. 22 had Welcome to Silent Hill (though I would say that was more of a movie IP since it was directly based on the movie.), and that was seen as one of the many disappointments of that particular year. And it's notable for being a house which former lead Michael Aiello has stated he wished they could've done again/done better. From the sounds of it the IP was forced on them at the time, and they had to shoehorn the house into the layout they designed for American Werewolf in London, which makes sense considering how awkward several scenes were in Silent Hill. (Now credit where credit is due, it seemed like Hollywood did better with their take on Silent Hill.)

The second video game IP they attempted was the very next year in 23 with Resident Evil: Escape from Raccoon City. I think it's safe to say this one actually fared worse than Silent Hill! It had some nice little moments like a PAUSE room, but overall the house didn't work for a lot of people.

So, 0-2 when it comes to video game IP's in Orlando.

Good point, but, to be frank, there was a little bit of steam for TLOU a bit earlier thanks to a comment by the game’s director, along with the upcoming HBO show. I think there’s definitely a reason it’s on the spec map, but whether or not it’s for this year is in the air
I completely agree that it’s a strong contender but I think it would be for next year. A few people have mentioned that it was probably planned for this year initially but has likely been pushed to HHN32, which makes sense

As a Hollywood local I’m very hopeful for Pandora’s Box. Not sure if this is common knowledge to Orlando people or not, but our house was nearly 100% reused props painted neon. If you didn’t know about this it would have been a pretty decent house, but for those of us who have been going for years and recognized every prop it felt like a lazy execution of what actually is a really interesting premise. I’m really excited to see Orlando’s take on this concept done to its full potential.
I’ve said it before but honest to god I believe Orlando’s take on Pandora’s box has the POTENTIAL, I emphasize potential, to be house of the year. No Cap

The Depths and Depths of Fear couldn't be further apart honestly. The Depths covers so many Underwater Horror Tropes yet Depths of Fear uses none of them. DOF is much more of a tribute to The Abyss and films like it.

Sure the concept of Revenge of the Tooth Fairy may have been inspired by the Knott's house but the execution is incredibly original and well thought out.

Last edited:

Watch the southpark episode “Simpsons did it”

Welcome to the forums!

As for Video Game IP's Universal has done, not that many and the track record isn't too good. 22 had Welcome to Silent Hill (though I would say that was more of a movie IP since it was directly based on the movie.), and that was seen as one of the many disappointments of that particular year. And it's notable for being a house which former lead Michael Aiello has stated he wished they could've done again/done better. From the sounds of it the IP was forced on them at the time, and they had to shoehorn the house into the layout they designed for American Werewolf in London, which makes sense considering how awkward several scenes were in Silent Hill. (Now credit where credit is due, it seemed like Hollywood did better with their take on Silent Hill.)

The second video game IP they attempted was the very next year in 23 with Resident Evil: Escape from Raccoon City. I think it's safe to say this one actually fared worse than Silent Hill! It had some nice little moments like a PAUSE room, but overall the house didn't work for a lot of people.

So, 0-2 when it comes to video game IP's in Orlando.

Thanks! Oh...yeah...that isn't a great track record. That would explain why from 23 to now we haven't gotten any other video game IP based houses. I always wondered that. It really sucks, honestly! Cause I feel like games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil (any of them at this point) and The Last of Us are ripe for house ideas!! Guess it just comes down to execution. Maybe if Universal, and the designers, were given a good heads up they could have/be better. Really have enough time to do it super well, and bring that HHN charm to it.

Who knows? Maybe this is the year Universal will break that 0-2 lose streak.

Reactions: Tobias
For those who want to help figure out this clue, I made handy little Google sheet to help keep track of information if anyone wants to help contribute. I've posted it in some discord servers for anyone who wants to help but I figured it should go here as well

I think this is a good time to bring this back.

Reactions: Tobias
Status
Not open for further replies.