Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 42 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Part of the reason why I insist on adding show capacity is that attendance wise they’re fine… they just need to move bodies elsewhere throughout the park and stop artificially clogging bottlenecks. Again, all can be fixed with operational adjustments to an event that hasn’t really changed how it runs in decades.
If it wasn’t an “answer” in 2019, why would it work in 2024?

If it wasn’t an “answer” in 2019, why would it work in 2024?
I hate saying this, a lagoon show is not the solution. Not popular with the general pop for a myriad of reasons, not knowing where to watch it from)lots of guests would see it from NY), only 10ish minutes, and standing.

Not saying a lagoon show shouldn’t be made, but it a not the draw of HNF or another proper stage show.

This is a bit early, but I'm curious what everyone thinks for next year.

Do you think opening night will be August 30th, or September 6th? I'm curious to see if they open earlier and include even more nights.
My guess is August 30, as much to stress "biggest event" ever as anything. But it might depend on how they decide to approach multi-night tickets next year. I am curious if we get an announcement November 4 or 6.

My guess is August 30, as much to stress "biggest event" ever as anything. But it might depend on how they decide to approach multi-night tickets next year. I am curious if we get an announcement November 4 or 6.
I'm thinking the same for an August opening.

My response to your next statement is pushing into 2024 spec, so I'll put it in spoilers:

My prediction is that we'll get an early announcement on Halloween or after the last night, similar to how Chucky was done. My guess, probably Five Nights at Freddy's. And we could get dates with that too!

As far as the lagoon show discussion, I think it helps - but it's not the solution. We'll probably continue to see Death Eaters as a yearly thing now. It's been beaten to death, but I think operating Bourne and Horror Makeup Show during HHN would help a lot as well.

As far as the lagoon show discussion, I think it helps - but it's not the solution. We'll probably continue to see Death Eaters as a yearly thing now. It's been beaten to death, but I think operating Bourne and Horror Makeup Show during HHN would help a lot as well.
Every little bit helps. If a lagoon show pulls a couple hundred folks from a Nightmare Fuel showing, that's good.
I will say. After watching Bourne again during our trip, I can understand why they don't want the drunken masses in there.

Beyond the technical requirements that show needs to keep running well, it's way too clean of a theater to have a bunch of sweaty frat boys/girls potentially tossing their cookies everywhere.

Every little bit helps. If a lagoon show pulls a couple hundred folks from a Nightmare Fuel showing, that's good.
I will say. After watching Bourne again during our trip, I can understand why they don't want the drunken masses in there.

Beyond the technical requirements that show needs to keep running well, it's way too clean of a theater to have a bunch of sweaty frat boys/girls potentially tossing their cookies everywhere.
I have to say, HHN guests aren’t as misbehaved or drunk as previously believed. Those $15 drinks are keeping people buzzed but not drunk.

I have to say, HHN guests aren’t as misbehaved or drunk as previously believed. Those $15 drinks are keeping people buzzed but not drunk.

The only folks I saw who were obviously "drunk" was a group who had clearly pregamed before Stay and Scream. They were loud and obnoxious in Finnegan's, but didn't see any bad behavior beyond that. The strongest beer is like a 7%, so yeah, no one's getting tanked unless they're really trying to (and willing to spend a lot).

Yeah, I get that. Like @UniversalRBLX said though, it doesn't seem to be AS much of an issue anymore (at least in my experience).

I'll continue to pound the table for a plussed version of Horror Makeup during HHN, but that theater is tiny so it would make zero difference lol

I hate saying this, a lagoon show is not the solution. Not popular with the general pop for a myriad of reasons, not knowing where to watch it from)lots of guests would see it from NY), only 10ish minutes, and standing.

Not saying a lagoon show shouldn’t be made, but it a not the draw of HNF or another proper stage show.
Kinda moving the goal posts here, aren’t we? 2019 lagoon show always had a good crowd and was considered one of the highlights of that year. We can argue about quality but a show is a show, and in this regard, the convo is about taking people away from other areas - which it did; and we still had preliminary conversations about the congestion and crowding.

Kinda moving the goal posts here, aren’t we? 2019 lagoon show always had a good crowd and was considered one of the highlights of that year. We can argue about quality but a show is a show, and in this regard, the convo is about taking people away from other areas - which it did; and we still had preliminary conversations about the congestion and crowding.
2019's MoM is literally my favorite thing I've ever done at the event lol

Keeping Nightmare Fuel, what could they put on a stage that Horror Nights guest want to see? We've discussed adding shows countless times, but what could you put into those shows that NF isn’t already doing that would be more interesting than a one and done

Reactions: SeventyOne
Keeping Nightmare Fuel, what could they put on a stage that Horror Nights guest want to see? We've discussed adding shows countless times, but what could you put into those shows that NF isn’t already doing that would be more interesting than a one and done
This has rattled my brain for a long time. It would be great to have an additional show alongside NF and a lagoon show. But the questions are "where?" and "what?"

Animal Actors would obviously be the ideal spot, but that area is such a cluster already, especially with them now using the covered tents for a food booth. I couldn't imagine a show letting out into that area.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I know that it's been brought up in the past, but I still wonder if the ever-empty Sinbad theater could be used for something. Especially if they can find some room to put a sort of "festival" type area with photo ops, smaller experiences, and food booths to make the walk seem not so bad.

This has rattled my brain for a long time. It would be great to have an additional show alongside NF and a lagoon show. But the questions are "where?" and "what?"

Animal Actors would obviously be the ideal spot, but that area is such a cluster already, especially with them now using the covered tents for a food booth. I couldn't imagine a show letting out into that area.
Something like the M3GAN horde should be featured from here on out. Instead of having them perform on the ground, prop them up on a small stage in front of HMUS. Kinda like what they did with Marilyn Monroe back in 2020, but of course, further away from the entrance of HMUS so the traffic coming in and out can breathe.
I know that it's been brought up in the past, but I still wonder if the ever-empty Sinbad theater could be used for something. Especially if they can find some room to put a sort of "festival" type area with photo ops, smaller experiences, and food booths to make the walk seem not so bad.
While I do think this is a cool idea, there's no way guests are gonna walk that far for just a show, even with all of that in between Sinbad and USF.

Bill and Ted

Do any of the soundstages typically go unused this time of year?

Set up some (mildly) themed meet-and-greet areas in part of a soundstage. Take your three big IPs for the year (plus maybe 1-2 random characters like the Yeti or Oddfellow). It's not something people will feel that they have to do, like a house or show, but could pull in a nice stream of guests.

Hell, you could put these meet and greets in the "park" section of Central Park (if a lagoon show doesn't return) to draw foot traffic into that portion of CP rather than just the main scare zone path.

Do any of the soundstages typically go unused this time of year?

Set up some (mildly) themed meet-and-greet areas in part of a soundstage. Take your three big IPs for the year (plus maybe 1-2 random characters like the Yeti or Oddfellow). It's not something people will feel that they have to do, like a house or show, but could pull in a nice stream of guests.

Hell, you could put these meet and greets in the "park" section of Central Park (if a lagoon show doesn't return) to draw foot traffic into that portion of CP rather than just the main scare zone path.
Soundstages 18, 21 (half of it), 22, 23, and 24 are in use for HHN and Grinchmas. Soundstages 19, 20, and 25 are probably unreliable as filming could be going on. Not to mention that Soundstage 25 is Dave School. Even if there was a soundstage available, I don't see how guests would be queued in and out of the soundstage, without merging the exit with the house exits.

Universal should lean into meet-and-greets at HHN. David Pumpkins is a nice addition, even if many find him annoying lol. If the tent next to MIB is gone and the house portal for Sprung 2 returns to the MIB bathrooms, then a big meet-and-greet area could be held there with food and drink options.

I don't think there's any one solution, IMO but several adjustments can be made:

1. There is too much clogging in certain spots as the park isn't properly balanced for the event. They need to find a way to distribute crowds evenly to alleviate the "pressure". Admittedly, KidZone being closed this year exacerbates this issue. Some potential ideas include:
  1. Open up the BMG Courtyard to shift over house entrances and maybe a few food spots.
  2. Use SS 33 for M&G and food court.
  3. Create a small little "hub" backstage in the back where the tents are and have a few house entrances there, some bars, food, and M&Gs too.
2. SF and Central Park are just too high of a congestion spot at this point to have a decent scarezone. Maybe consider just adding ambiance with no actors and consider more roaming hordes in those areas.

3. Reassess how GAC enters queues. This is problematic in high-congestion areas.

4. They do have to offer more things to do with zero to low-wait options. Whether that be a M&G, a behind-the-scenes museum of an upcoming film or the HHN creative process. Venues to use include the Media Center, SS 33, or maybe some of that ol Sting Alley house space they used to use.

5. Yes, a show still helps.

6. Cut ROF. Leave everything else as is. Unfortunately, HHN is at the point where it can't be a daily hang-out spot. If you want to have that luxury, truly make it a luxury and have them pay for the first-level FFP. Cutting Express from the passes just leaves the "locals" hanging out in the streets instead of the houses. The other option would be to fully restructure tickets with a # of Day pass (as other posters have mentioned).

7. This is last because it's a lot tougher with minimal options but... find a way to spookify a ride. The easy answer for now is Rockit. Give the option of limited-time horror soundtracks of houses used during the year. Simpsons would've been great but those darn rights.

An interesting thought may be to keep Islands open, but give it its own free Halloween event/activities. That may decrease the need for people to go to just USF for their Halloween fix.

I don't think there's any one solution, IMO but several adjustments can be made:

1. There is too much clogging in certain spots as the park isn't properly balanced for the event. They need to find a way to distribute crowds evenly to alleviate the "pressure". Admittedly, KidZone being closed this year exacerbates this issue. Some potential ideas include:
  1. Open up the BMG Courtyard to shift over house entrances and maybe a few food spots.
  2. Use SS 33 for M&G and food court.
  3. Create a small little "hub" backstage in the back where the tents are and have a few house entrances there, some bars, food, and M&Gs too.
2. SF and Central Park are just too high of a congestion spot at this point to have a decent scarezone. Maybe consider just adding ambiance with no actors and consider more roaming hordes in those areas.

3. Reassess how GAC enters queues. This is problematic in high-congestion areas.

4. They do have to offer more things to do with zero to low-wait options. Whether that be a M&G, a behind-the-scenes museum of an upcoming film or the HHN creative process. Venues to use include the Media Center, SS 33, or maybe some of that ol Sting Alley house space they used to use.

5. Yes, a show still helps.

6. Cut ROF. Leave everything else as is. Unfortunately, HHN is at the point where it can't be a daily hang-out spot. If you want to have that luxury, truly make it a luxury and have them pay for the first-level FFP. Cutting Express from the passes just leaves the "locals" hanging out in the streets instead of the houses. The other option would be to fully restructure tickets with a # of Day pass (as other posters have mentioned).

7. This is last because it's a lot tougher with minimal options but... find a way to spookify a ride. The easy answer for now is Rockit. Give the option of limited-time horror soundtracks of houses used during the year. Simpsons would've been great but those darn rights.

An interesting thought may be to keep Islands open, but give it its own free Halloween event/activities. That may decrease the need for people to go to just USF for their Halloween fix.

Love all these ideas. Only thing stopping several of them from happening is arguably a rigidity in how the event is currently set up and run. Want to bounce some ideas based off of what you've put out here...

1. BMG Courtyard is a really interesting idea. You already have to basically walk over there to get to whatever house is in the Blood Moon spot, so why not expand park space? Stick a meet and greet back there with a decently-sized bar and food offering and you've got a new little hub. SS33 also seems viable, and what you're describing is of course something they already do frequently for special events. Only challenge would be compressing the queues parallel to it to facilitate access, but I feel like there's a way. This is another opportunity to stick a roaming photo op character or two... Or, you could do a "behind the screams" type exhibit here, as you pitch later.

2. I think you just cut the set pieces from these areas and make them roamers only. You can rarely even see the set pieces once it gets dark. Establish a new scare zone with theming where Killer Klowns was by the lagoon. You'd ideally still need a fifth named zone somewhere, though... maybe can finally bring back Mel's as a location if there's still no parade?

3. 100% agreed. Keeps people with express passes from even entering the queues right now due to the congestion/not enough team members to manage the requests. They may already do this, but I'd like to see them adopt an approach similar to Disneyland where there are several central "guest assistance" areas where you can obtain return times. You can easily stick these in less highly-trafficked areas.

4. I mention this in my review, but I do think more meet and greets in bar areas is a smart move. It makes you feel like you're "doing something" more than just getting a drink and hanging out, which in turn makes it feel like you got more done in a given evening. Plus, if there are characters it's explicitly safe to take photos with, there are bound to be fewer issues with disruptive photo hounds in the zones.

5. A second show somewhere, anywhere. Even if it's a small stage on Mel's or something small in scale in Horror Makeup.

6-7. Agreed on all points.