Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that Ghostbusters and (especially) Beetlejuice didn’t score all that well during their first go-rounds at the event. That would make me think sequel houses based on sequel movies wouldn’t be on the table for next year…unless I’m Mandela Effecting myself?

I was under the impression that Ghostbusters and (especially) Beetlejuice didn’t score all that well during their first go-rounds at the event. That would make me think sequel houses based on sequel movies wouldn’t be on the table for next year…unless I’m Mandela Effecting myself?
I don't think GSAT scores matter once you look at how much money they made off Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice merchandise lol

I don't think GSAT scores matter once you look at how much money they made off Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice merchandise lol
I mean…they can still sell the merchandise without burning 20-40% of their annual IP lineup on something that won’t draw people in to buy the merch in the first place.

I'm not sure that there's enough evidence for us to realistically "speculate" on this yet, but..

If the sprung tents go away and are replaced by a warehouse, I'm curious as to how many HHN houses this warehouse could hold. Someone may have mentioned this, but it's inevitable that we're going to lose the old parade building at some point.

Could this warehouse also take the place of that?

• Wow
Reactions: Ahmanet
Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice are major IPs that can draw guests in and sell merch no matter the quality of the house... look at Chucky lol
That’s what I’m saying, though…I could be misremembering but I was definitely under the impression that neither IP moved the needle for the crowds that year, be it through queue length, GSAT, social media buzz, etc.

I'm not sure that there's enough evidence for us to realistically "speculate" on this yet, but..

If the sprung tents go away and are replaced by a warehouse, I'm curious as to how many HHN houses this warehouse could hold. Someone may have mentioned this, but it's inevitable that we're going to lose the old parade building at some point.

Could this warehouse also take the place of that?
Probably just two if for no other reason than a new warehouse doesn’t change the available queue/entrance space in the guest-facing areas.

Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice are major IPs that can draw guests in and sell merch no matter the quality of the house... look at Chucky lol
While I would agree, if Ghostbusters did receive a collective meh in the GSATs, I would imagine that would play into Universal's decision making as by all accounts they do read and listen to the guest surveys. At the very least, I would expect them to drastically modify the feel of the house if it comes back. (I personally didn't care for it.)

The other sticking point might be the leak of the Ghostbusters house. While we heard that WB cared very much about that leak to the point where they took another IP off the table, we don't exactly know that Sony didn't care. Since there's such a long history of Ghostbusters at the park, it probably wasn't a nuclear event. Regardless, I'm sure Universal made nice and agreed to Improve Security and Generally Not Screw Things Up in the future, and I'm sure there's no licensing barriers to bringing it back.

The upcoming arrival of Darkmoor is definitely something I do wonder on--but perhaps it's just me; but I kind of have to think the GP reception of DD could cause them to stray from including park attractions to HHN in actually having houses based around them. Would love to be wrong; Darkmoor feels like you could do some fun worldbuilding; but I know Murdy has kicked around atleast on Hollywood that he has an idea for Gillman.
I'm fully anticipating a Darkmoor tie in house as a preview/hype builder for EU.

Wait.. can you expand on this? What did I miss and why is WB involved in the Ghostbusters talk? lol
Some WB IP leaked which ***ALLEGEDLY*** resulted in Game of Thrones getting yanked. This was 2019; I believe US was the replacement. Beetlejuice merch leaking also allegedly led to the maze not coming to Hollywood.

Sony seems more lax on the whole thing.

By big I mean keeping the same attendance level as this year generated by 2 blockbusters/relevant IPs and horror's (unfortunately) most popular character with the general public.

I'm sure they're looking into what IP or mix of IPs can generate the same draw as Stranger Things & Last of Us.
They don’t even need to do that. With how many guest complained how over crowded it was almost every night and they won’t be returning,I had would say the opposite. Even heard some say they been going to HHN for years now and this will be their last bc of the crowds.

Some WB IP leaked which ***ALLEGEDLY*** resulted in Game of Thrones getting yanked. This was 2019; I believe US was the replacement. Beetlejuice merch leaking also allegedly led to the maze not coming to Hollywood.

Sony seems more lax on the whole thing.
Yeah, that whole story was bad spec. Game of Thrones never got through the initial discussion phase. From my understanding, Universal never even approached WB about it.

I doubt any such info is actively out there, but I'd be interested in seeing which specific IPs have netted them the most $ at the event. WD and ST are likely at the top, of course. But I too was under the impression that GB didn't draw them the $ they hoped.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
biggest mistake was having my phone at 100% brightness in a dark room, safe to say I was startled seeing an old man Weeknd .
Singapore included some Dawn FM in their Weeknd house this year along with After Hours scenes. Old Man Weeknd as a costume was wild looking, lmao.

I could definitely see some of that used for a sequel house on our side of the globe, though.

I think GB is in a weird spot because if A&D wants to do Frozen Empire, there are enough variables around the original house that an easy argument exists to give it another go. Mainly, the house happened before Afterlife was released. So, any underperformance can be hand-waved as poor timing. 2024 is a different circumstance, with a Spring release sequel to a well-received “reboot.” Further, if FNaF does happen, it provides a “softer,” younger-friendly marketing counter.

If A&D has the appetite, I think justification exists for the attempt.

To clarify reception/GSAT talk from 2019…. the headlining IPs were more horror adjacent or light-hearted. It wasn’t a “Ghostbusters” problem.

ST, Ghostbusters, Klownz, and Us (to an extent) weren’t heavy with horror like a Jason, or Freddy, or even that year’s Corpses.

Also… Us was a last minute replacement for Tooth Fairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.