HHN 31: Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Dead Man’s Pier: Winter’s Wake

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Last year, it was Charles and Blake. This is year, it was just Charles (basically).
I don’t wanna derail the thread so forgive me Brian but I have just one (guess two) more question(s). Is Charles still a designer for the houses now, or is someone else sorta leading that? And also who is responsible for scarezones now? I know Blake was since 2016 but left I believe last year.

As much as I want to like this one I just can’t get into it. I appreciate all the detail and thought that went into it and like the open layout, but it reminds me of SeaWorld’s pirate house last year. I almost think all the STUFF just draws attention to the fact that it’s still just a temporary walk-thru attraction. Sometimes, black walls do the trick when trying to capture the feel of a haunted house. Bummed I’m not more into it but just can’t get there.

but it reminds me of SeaWorld’s pirate house last year.

giphy.gif

One thing I've not heard people talking about is the lighthouse

I love when they do houses where you see an big set and then experience it from multiple angles

This was done in Monsters too

Seeing the lighthouse up close-ish at the beginning and then seeing it from the other side further-ish away was really neat

It gives the sense of place and dimension

That lighthouse set piece was basically what made me go from loving the house to considering top tier for me. Sure it wasn’t particularly scary but I tend to not find the houses scary to begin with. A scare actor May get me to go “Oh dear” if they catch me by surprise but I’m a very hard person to scare so I don’t tend to count that against a house. It was the design of the whole thing that made it top tier for me.

I don't know how it was lost on me, but I was informed that this house is largely a tribute to Rick Spencer, and knowing that does give me an additional appreciation for it. The house feels sad because it's meant to be grief in a way for Rick. There are some serious nods to him as well, which makes it great.

That lighthouse set piece was basically what made me go from loving the house to considering top tier for me. Sure it wasn’t particularly scary but I tend to not find the houses scary to begin with. A scare actor May get me to go “Oh dear” if they catch me by surprise but I’m a very hard person to scare so I don’t tend to count that against a house. It was the design of the whole thing that made it top tier for me.

That moment when you turn the corner and see it again from a distance was an absolute jaw dropping moment for me. It gave you a sense of actually having traveled much further than you had.

That moment when you turn the corner and see it again from a distance was an absolute jaw dropping moment for me. It gave you a sense of actually having traveled much further than you had.
My group’s jaws on the floor as they turned the corner, especially my husband’s, said more than words ever could.