HHN 31: Fiesta de Chupacabras | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Fiesta de Chupacabras

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The puppets were eating people for sure it was all over.

So it's a Puerto Rican monster, set in Central America, with the Texas version of the monster design.

My #screamsquad has a native-born Puerto Rican and she commented "Universal really doesn't want any Puerto Ricans in this house do they?"

Reactions: Rikku
The puppets were eating people for sure it was all over.

So it's a Puerto Rican monster, set in Central America, with the Texas version of the monster design.

My #screamsquad has a native-born Puerto Rican and she commented "Universal really doesn't want any Puerto Ricans in this house do they?"

Same here like I said in speculation I have a Puerto Rican born/raised husband and so a lot was riding on them to get this house correct in his mind.

Having few pre-concieved notions of what a chupacabra looks like, I liked the monsters well enough. Sufficiently wild and gnarly looking. Overall plot wasn't clear tho.

This house has beautiful sets and effects. Enjoyed the people scares way more than the Chupacabra which had very limited articulation versus something like the AWiL puppets. More silly than scary.

Having listened to the podcast story…

This definitely feels like their way of doing a Dia De Los Muertos house while having a “reason for murder” that would otherwise turn this into a ghost house. The main family’s last name is “Cruz”, essentially the name of the Coco villain.

I think it’s interesting that this house is supposed to be modern-day tourists being killed in a town frozen in tradition, and while I understand that there is less specificity here, I understand why Creative wouldn’t want to get too specific about a ”real town” where tourists are murdered in a blood sacrifice towards what might actually just be a big wolf. The optics would probably be even worse if so.

I’m so not interested in the Señor Robles butchery. Too many butchers this year, IMHO.

Do we get to see Rosalia and her mask shop? I can imagine a ton of excellent scares in a room like this.

Are there lighting effects here that mimic “fireworks”? I’m imagining Grand Fiesta Tour vibes here.

Reactions: londonwerecat

Because then the narrative would become "Puerto Rican people luring people to get murdered".

It's general Latin America, encompassing Mexican/Central American and the Caribbean, for a reason.

Basically, I think we're focusing a bit too much on the minutiae of chupacabra lore. There's a lot of creative freedom when it comes to fictional creatures...

I do wonder if their design changed sometime during the creative process. One of the shirts has the “sigil” that is used in the house title art; however, the monster design on the shirt looks more reptilian than the furry cat of doom eventually used as the puppet.

Reactions: Darko and Clive
They didn't get Yetis wings and have them running around corn fields.
I mean they did put the Yetis in like, northwest canada, when Yetis are pretty unanimously associated with the Himalayas, so they've at least got a history of messing with legendary creatures location wise.

They didn't get Yetis wings and have them running around corn fields.

If you wanna keep grasping at straws, go ahead.

I mean they did put the Yetis in like, northwest canada, when Yetis are pretty unanimously associated with the Himalayas, so they've at least got a history of messing with legendary creatures location wise.

But Bigfoots/Sasquatches/etc still exist in those regions. They just chose Yeti to piggyback off Swamp Yeti's success from the year before.

Having few pre-concieved notions of what a chupacabra looks like, I liked the monsters well enough. Sufficiently wild and gnarly looking. Overall plot wasn't clear tho.
This house has beautiful sets and effects. Enjoyed the people scares way more than the Chupacabra which had very limited articulation versus something like the AWiL puppets. More silly than scary.

Puppets in the video do look incredible. I just really really hope they don't break down or something. I hope they work all month long.
They do look similar to the wolf creature in teenage mutant ninja turtles 2 lol.
I will just think of this as a werewolf house. That's what it basically is. A big wolf house
As long as they don't damage or break, I will be happy.

I do wonder if their design changed sometime during the creative process. One of the shirts has the “sigil” that is used in the house title art; however, the monster design on the shirt looks more reptilian than the furry cat of doom eventually used as the puppet.

That's very interesting. I really really wonder why.
Maybe the reptilian costumes didn't look good or it was easier to do these wolf creatures. Maybe it was a practical reason.

Just gotta say if you type in Chupacabra into google you get three million renditions of the design, the design may not be what you have been imagining but you can’t blame A&D for that.
It’s a pretty open character.

Also, the masks hit really well for me, can’t imagine people not liking them.

Just gotta say if you type in Chupacabra into google you get three million renditions of the design, the design may not be what you have been imagining but you can’t blame A&D for that.

Also, the masks hit really well for me, can’t imagine people not liking them.

image results definitely mostly show coyote dogs,
but 2 minutes into looking at the origin and looking at the wikipedia page shows the reptile alien version

Reactions: Rikku

Yup. One of the most common looks is the mangy-looking dog with fangs and a ridged spine, and I'd say that's what Universal was going for. I really don't understand the pushback.

i found some info:

"There is also police cam footage of a Chupacabra. It is a video taken in August of 2008 in DeWitt County, Texas, by two police officers.
The footage shows a canine-like animal running on the side of the road.
The animal in the video appears to be fur-less with a long snout and pointed ears.
it is possible that the animal could be a coyote infected with mange or other canine.

In Hood County, Texas in July 2010, local animal control officers shot and killed an alleged chupacabra.
Texas A&M University scientists conducted tests on it and found it to be a coyote-dog hybrid with mange and internal parasites.
Mange is a class contagious skin diseases caused by parasitic mites seen primarily in domesticated animals
. "

that 2008 vid was the very first time i remember ever hearing of a dog chupacabra.
the reptile version is the only version i knew in the 90s.
basically from 1995 to 2008 chupacabra was only the reptile alien creature everyone knew.

LWg4Ksh.png

Last edited:
Yup. One of the most common looks is the mangy-looking dog with fangs and a ridged spine, and I'd say that's what Universal was going for. I really don't understand the pushback.

I’m just a little confused as to why it seems like that wasn’t the finalized design across the board?

3D6BA972-B6D0-4047-A9C4-B5A9155EEEEA.jpeg

Unless this was meant to be something from a different house? But I don’t think so, given the spikes on it’s back seem to mirror the silhouettes we see on some projections within the house itself…