HHN 31: Fiesta de Chupacabras | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Fiesta de Chupacabras

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’m just a little confused as to why it seems like that wasn’t the finalized design across the board?

View attachment 17273

Unless this was meant to be something from a different house? But I don’t think so, given the spikes on it’s back seem to mirror the silhouettes we see on some projections within the house itself…

whAT THE HEAVENS!
the plot thickens..... this is so weird!! unless original costumes got messed up,
and all they had to do was paint the tooth fairies green...
tooth fairies already looked like that!!

HT4XILw.png

Last edited:
I’m just a little confused as to why it seems like that wasn’t the finalized design across the board?

View attachment 17273

Unless this was meant to be something from a different house? But I don’t think so, given the spikes on it’s back seem to mirror the silhouettes we see on some projections within the house itself…

This part.... I guess that is one of the things that kills me is that somewhere the design seemed to be more in align with what I thought it would be and just want to know what happened and why we ended up with what we got in the end. And yes just agree it reads more cat to me than dog-beast. Anywho I finally listened to the Orlando Podcast story of the house and it for sure helped me get in align with the vision they were going for and I can appreciate what the house is and just accepting it as a good Latin cat-beast house but I still have trouble accepting it as the Chupacabra story...I mean no dead goats in the literal goat sucker house!? Sorry I will get over it but just have a hallway of hanging dead goats and it would've helped a ton.

I mean the team doesn't win either way when it comes to this stuff. If they make it Puerto Rican then people will complain that it's insensitive and racist and showing Puerto Ricans in a negative light. If they don't make it Puerto Rican then people complain that it's racist and they just don't want Puerto Ricans at the event represented. They will never win.

Same goes for the creature design. This is a fiction/mythological creature. There are many different interpretations and stories about how this creature looks. I for one am happy they just did their own thing and from the pics I've seen, I love the design.

Last edited:

View attachment 17273

I thought that was just the lizard/frog creature thing from The Weeknd?

I mean the team doesn't win either way when it comes to this stuff. If they make it Puerto Rican then people will complain that it's insensitive and racist and showing Puerto Ricans in a negative light. If they don't make it Puerto Rican then people complain that it's racist and they just don't want Puerto Ricans at the event represented. They will never win.

Same goes for the creature design. This is a fiction/mythological creature. There are many different interpretations and stories about how this creature looks. I for one am happy they just did their own thing and from the pics I've seen, I love the design.

the creature only looked one way until 2008 when 2 AMERICAN cops recorded a sick coyote and called it "chupacabra"
from 1995 to 2008 it was only described as a reptile. as a creepy reptile

and even if you wanna go by the texas coyote style, the creature in this house is a saber tooth cat, a cat.... the texas version of chupacabra is a Coyote....it would be like if they were doing a yeti or Sasquatch house and making yeti look like a giant rat or mouse.....

it almost makes me wonder if the chupacabra look is copyright problem or something. we got a big cat

Reactions: Rikku
All I know is that I didn't really have high hopes for it and thought it was a weird monster to focus an entire house on. It may pull from different cultures and not be fully accurate to any one, but this is one of my favorite houses so far and its a ton of fun.

Maybe I'm getting old?

I thought that was just the lizard/frog creature thing from The Weeknd?

I don’t believe so, for a couple of reasons.

1. The Weeknd is not featured on the main house shirt, yet has a multitude of solo merch. That feels like an intentional, contract-based sort of thing.

2. More definitively, the creature on this shirt lacks The Weeknd’s red jacket that appears throughout the house (even on the frog monsters), lacks the bulbous eyes of the frog monsters, and has scales (which the frog monsters don’t, iirc).

Now, there’s a small chance this creature could be something from Hellblock or Descendants, but I don’t really see a resemblance to anything specific from those houses either.

I think my guesses as to likely scenarios are A: someone decided after this concept was approved that they’d rather repurpose AWiL/TrT puppets to reduce the house’s budget OR B: This art concept was approved and then someone got involved from creative with an idea that the coyote/cat-like design should be closer to the legend they grew up knowing; also possible that the merch artist was only given general ideas and went with what they pictured. But I doubt that, considering the Depths portion of the shirt features specific characters seen in the house.

Reactions: HHNObsession
the creature only looked one way until 2008 when 2 AMERICAN cops recorded a sick coyote and called it "chupacabra"
from 1995 to 2008 it was only described as a reptile. as a creepy reptile

and even if you wanna go by the texas coyote style, the creature in this house is a saber tooth cat, a cat.... the texas version of chupacabra is a Coyote....it would be like if they were doing a yeti or Sasquatch house and making yeti look like a giant rat or mouse.....

it almost makes me wonder if the chupacabra look is copyright problem or something. we got a big cat
I mean I don't care either way. I prefer when they do their own thing and their own interpretation. We could argue all day about what a NOT REAL/fictional creature looks like, but they did their own thing at the end of the day, and I'm happy with that.

Also I love the cat look more. More interesting than another dog-like creature.

I mean I don't care either way. I prefer when they do their own thing and their own interpretation. We could argue all day about what a NOT REAL/fictional creature looks like, but they did their own thing at the end of the day, and I'm happy with that.

Also I love the cat look more. More interesting than another dog-like creature.
but it is very very weird. specially if this house was planned for like a decade ago. it is weird to mess it up like this. wasnt this house supposed to go in the transformers building like 10 years ago?

Arguing about failing the design of an imaginary creature.... C'mon now. If you don't like it, fine, but saying this is a "mess up" just because it's not the kind you want is a little much, IMO.
if they do a Mothman house it could look like a duck next. and if they do another werewolf house, it could just like a big rabbit lol. or like a ferret lol

why call it chupacabra? why not call the house demon cats of the Amazon?

I mean no dead goats in the literal goat sucker house!? Sorry I will get over it but just have a hallway of hanging dead goats and it would've helped a ton.
Just circling back to this after a second run through the house last night. There's definitely a room with at least one or two hanging dead goats. 45 seconds in:

Just circling back to this after a second run through the house last night. There's definitely a room with at least one or two hanging dead goats. 45 seconds in:

Hard to make out but thanks for pointing it out! I appreciate it! I am thankful for at least the one or two lol

Reactions: Tbad556
Didn't like this on opening night, really liked it last night.

Chupa design is starting to grow on me, and while I do wish it was much more actual Chupa and less villagers, the scares are still very strong here.

Please. Just stop.
Didn't like this on opening night, really liked it last night.

Chupa design is starting to grow on me, and while I do wish it was much more actual Chupa and less villagers, the scares are still very strong here.

I'll do this house first thing today and experience the whole thing. I'll check for the small details.
I won't go with a negative attitude. I'm still excited about it being Latino and everything.
I'll give it a fair chance. I'm not going in with intentions of hating on it. I think I will genuinely love it overall.
I still think the design came to be due to copyright issues or something similar. I'll try to run as fast as I can to get to it. I think it will be really cool in person. I love big puppets as always. I'll be there in a couple hours.

I think what I love about the design the most, is that it is their Chupacabra. As in it will be very recognizable if they ever do future houses. I mean if they went with the more classic design, it would just look like they lazily painted the tooth fairy costumes and added some spikes to their back.

Loving the villager masks I'm seeing too. How many Chupas are in the house?

Reactions: Lucky Planet