HHN 31: Hellblock Horror | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Hellblock Horror

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I gave it four shots. Never found its rhythm. Slow, unenthusiastic performers, save a few who gave it a good effort. Part of the problem is it’s a small cast, so hard to convince me it’s this chaotic prison. Sets were too big and open for the slight number of actors.
Fair enough.

Like I said, I think if they ever try this again but make it an intended house, it can be fantastic. Make the cells and containment areas tight and claustrophobic with a huge, aggressive cast. Add in some big grander sets for the bigger monsters (an actual look at Case Files' tentacle creature anyone?), and just a sense of urgency and chaos throughout the entire house, and viola.

Fair enough.

Like I said, I think if they ever try this again but make it an intended house, it can be fantastic. Make the cells and containment areas tight and claustrophobic with a huge, aggressive cast. Add in some big grander sets for the bigger monsters (an actual look at Case Files' tentacle creature anyone?), and just a sense of urgency and chaos throughout the entire house, and viola.

One thing I liked was the alien language on the walls lol. :lol:
This house reminded me of RUN from 2006. Or maybe just the sets.

I'll have more to say in my review, but with the addition of the alien language everywhere and focus on an exploding power core... it really does feel like this is Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout minus the Guardians of the Galaxy. Which... is a cool theme! Just wish they had the time and resources to properly execute it.

I'll have more to say in my review, but with the addition of the alien language everywhere and focus on an exploding power core... it really does feel like this is Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout minus the Guardians of the Galaxy. Which... is a cool theme! Just wish they had the time and resources to properly execute it.
Story-wise, that does again raise the question of where this prison is.

On the second night, as I was getting ready to go in, there was an RIP group and I heard the guide talking about Hellgate Prison, but... I don't know bout all of you, this doesn't seem like Hellgate Prison, unless LT or whoever runs the prison gave it the biggest upgrade ever.

Reactions: Clive
i looked at vids of the replacement house in california (the hotel house) and it didnt seem that great. i know you mentioned that house before, but over here those sets would have feel too close to the bug house and too close to scenes in halloween (well from the room scenes shown in youtube)

our jail house might not be super great, but california's hotel house wouldnt have been that good in here either (plus howl o scream has their hotel house too)

Story-wise, that does again raise the question of where this prison is.

On the second night, as I was getting ready to go in, there was an RIP group and I heard the guide talking about Hellgate Prison, but... I don't know bout all of you, this doesn't seem like Hellgate Prison, unless LT or whoever runs the prison gave it the biggest upgrade ever.

this could have been connected to legendary truth so easily. im shocked that they didnt connect it. it was very very very easy to have said it was a LT prison.
specially continuing from last year

very weird

Energy was really strong today. Well, felt strong to me. Very strong scares. Yeti ( or whatever it is) in the cage is very energetic. Really good scared to the people behind me from him. Really great run for me today. A lot of fun.
Some monsters are really going for it. I really liked it today
Daughter and her friend did this off the resort guest holding area last night-daughter has been through 3 times and said yesterday was one of best yet. Although when she and friend lie d up they didn’t realize they’d be going to straight to that house when released and weren’t “emotionally prepared” ROFL.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
This house was vastly improved over the weekend and has been since opening night. I actually really enjoy it and the concept. At this point the only thing really that brings it down is the black hallways towards the end.

The caged yeti runs towards you now. Surprised me. Very strong scare. Women behind me screamed really bad because of yeti. He swings his arms and runs a little bit in the cage.
He's my favorite part. Very very strong performance. Yeti is quick. Swings his arms. Reaches for you. People freaked out

The sets for this house kinda reminded me of SAW as well. A lot of it feels like SAW.

Anyone else notice the decapitated Mouthbrooder head on the ground in one of the first Prison gate rooms? Friends and I only just saw that and us remarking on it gave the monster on the other side a good time to pop out and catch us off guard.
And with the Sculper usually being in the cell in the next room, it makes me want to see a crossover between Depths and Spawning, could make for a fun house.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Anyone else notice the decapitated Mouthbrooder head on the ground in one of the first Prison gate rooms? Friends and I only just saw that and us remarking on it gave the monster on the other side a good time to pop out and catch us off guard.

ill definitely have to check it out.
one monster that always freaks me out is the cyclops monster lol. that mask is so freaky. i keep forgetting about him and cyclops always gets me.
the zombie girl eating the guard is really excelllent too

Reactions: Darko
I know a lot of people mentioned the quick scramble for this house and I must have missed something in the thread leading up to the event. What was it originally supposed to be?

I know a lot of people mentioned the quick scramble for this house and I must have missed something in the thread leading up to the event. What was it originally supposed to be?
evil dead

After 15-years, I can honestly say this was the worst house I have ever been in at HHN. It reminded me of some of the crappy houses we used to do at Six Flag's Fright Fest back in the early 2000s. I really hope it gets better, but last week was rough.
i feel like the coven house and bug house are much more boring. but yes this house has a cheaper feeling. like a house from 2005 yes.
but, coven and bug have more detailed sets and feel more boring.
this house had more energy too

Last edited:
Reactions: Coolbfitz
After 15-years, I can honestly say this was the worst house I have ever been in at HHN. It reminded me of some of the crappy houses we used to do at Six Flag's Fright Fest back in the early 2000s. I really hope it gets better, but last week was rough.

Just going by screams alone this house is in the top 5 of this year based on my experience.