HHN 31: Hellblock Horror | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Hellblock Horror

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Some interesting story info from our RIP guide!

So, is this Hellgate Prison?

It's a strange puzzle. He was told it's 'Hell's Gate Block', but also has heard that it's a typo and is meant to say Hellgate.

And also, supposedly there's a hidden blueprint of the prison that says it was designed by a certain man with a last name by the name of 'Strickland'.

If anything this house could have easily been a men in black house. It could have been so many movie based houses, exactly as it is.
But it always makes me laugh that the monsters have overalls. Who dressed them :lol:
I can't help but laugh ( in a good way) I imagine the tailor end scene of the men in black ride but with all these monsters

Everyone has different opinions on this house and honestly I love that. Personally think it’s a lot of fun. I got the most scares in this house, the cast had strong energy, actually thought the set design was good for such short turn around. Honestly enjoy this house a lot. Did it twice the day we went. Once with my family, second time by myself. Enjoyed it both times.

Also, worst house ever? I mean Lunatics Playground exists. Hell Afterlife: Death’s Vengeance exists. I’d rank both of those far worse.

Everyone has different opinions on this house and honestly I love that. Personally think it’s a lot of fun. I got the most scares in this house, the cast had strong energy, actually thought the set design was good for such short turn around. Honestly enjoy this house a lot. Did it twice the day we went. Once with my family, second time by myself. Enjoyed it both times.

Also, worst house ever? I mean Lunatics Playground exists. Hell Afterlife: Death’s Vengeance exists. I’d rank both of those far worse.

Even this year itself, coven is the "worst" house. Technically. And this was much much better than the glow in the dark monsters house in 2015.
That one was terrible

Even this year itself, coven is the "worst" house. Technically. And this was much much better than the glow in the dark monsters house in 2015.
That one was terrible
Which glow in the dark monster house we talking about from 2015? Only one I can remember off the top of my head is Asylum in Wonderland 3D and, controversial opinion most likely, I loved that house.

Which glow in the dark monster house we talking about from 2015? Only one I can remember off the top of my head is Asylum in Wonderland 3D and, controversial opinion most likely, I loved that house.

I can't believe it was 10 years ago:

I can't believe it was 10 years ago:
I didn't think that one was that bad. But then again, that was a rather rough year in general so maybe just compared to some other houses that year it didn't seem so bad. That being said, it still wasn't that great either. If I remember correctly it did have a quick turnaround time as I believe it was a "Scream/Conjuring/Evil Dead Rise/Name the IP they lost that year at the last minute" situation.

Either way that was feels so long ago now. I don't even remember much from it. Then again it was mostly blacklight walls and minimal sets so maybe that's why.

I didn't think that one was that bad. But then again, that was a rather rough year in general so maybe just compared to some other houses that year it didn't seem so bad. That being said, it still wasn't that great either. If I remember correctly it did have a quick turnaround time as I believe it was a "Scream/Conjuring/Evil Dead Rise/Name the IP they lost that year at the last minute" situation.

Either way that was feels so long ago now. I don't even remember much from it. Then again it was mostly blacklight walls and minimal sets so maybe that's why.
I enjoyed House of Horrors quite a bit. Of the Monsters houses I've been through at Universal, I'd rank it just behind 29 and ahead of this year's house.

If memory serves, that year's house was built after HHN lost the use of SS44, which was demolished for Transformers. SS44 would have been where the original Chupacarba house was located. In fact, it was already built when the decision to strike the building was made.

I enjoyed House of Horrors quite a bit. Of the Monsters houses I've been through at Universal, I'd rank it just behind 29 and ahead of this year's house.

If memory serves, that year's house was built after HHN lost the use of SS44, which was demolished for Transformers. SS44 would have been where the original Chupacarba house was located. In fact, it was already built when the decision to strike the building was made.
Ah, that might have been the situation. I remember really enjoying it but wasn’t sure if my memory was just off. But yeah I think it was budget cuts that caused them to design it that way wasn’t it? I think it wasn’t a lost IP situation. Just immediately assumed that given how often it seems to happen lately and forgot about hearing it was due to potentially budget cuts.

Feels like it was mostly stuff painted on walls.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Feels like it was mostly stuff painted on walls.

And that was only after the first weekend. Set design wasn't finished in time for opening.

That said, ended up being my #3 house, albeit in the weakest year of the event. But like Hive shows a last-minute house can work. Bringing this back on-topic, I think if the design team had leaned into fan service more, this house would work better. Either more greatest hits (a Body Collector, a Nightingale, a Foon), or maybe adopting a previous zone/house (the 7 scare-zone comes to mind). Give the prison more of a collective identity than random monsters.

Random aside -- anyone else notice what appears to be the flayed angel deemed too controversial for whatever the apocalypse house was returned here with its wings?

And that was only after the first weekend. Set design wasn't finished in time for opening.

That said, ended up being my #3 house, albeit in the weakest year of the event. But like Hive shows a last-minute house can work. Bringing this back on-topic, I think if the design team had leaned into fan service more, this house would work better. Either more greatest hits (a Body Collector, a Nightingale, a Foon), or maybe adopting a previous zone/house (the 7 scare-zone comes to mind). Give the prison more of a collective identity than random monsters.

Random aside -- anyone else notice what appears to be the flayed angel deemed too controversial for whatever the apocalypse house was returned here with its wings?
The one from The Fallen? Weird, I thought it was just a person with their skin flayed out a lot.

Reactions: SeventyOne