HHN 31: Spirits of the Coven | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Spirits of the Coven

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Definitely this year's disappointment. Cool costumes, perfect background loop, some nice sets, but the storyline doesn't really build. I think DisneySon1 is onto something with adding dialogue. Maybe additional runs will help as well.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Speed
I was never expecting this to be a scary house so I'm not too surprised by these reactions. Hopefully the cast improves by the time I'm there.
Wow I just watched the walkthrough video and this looks like the slowest, lowest energy house I've ever seen at HHN.
The lighting was darker with more fog effects last night, this was a big improvement.

The mine cart gag takes too long to reset.

The witches still don't really do anything.
Definitely this year's disappointment. Cool costumes, perfect background loop, some nice sets, but the storyline doesn't really build. I think DisneySon1 is onto something with adding dialogue. Maybe additional runs will help as well.

Ok. I'm glad I can be honest here

This is the least good house of this year and last year combined.. it really is the slowest of both years.
The concept is interesting but I expected witched in the forest with cauldrons and crows and stuff.
Your typical witch stuff ( I didn't really pay attention to any description to be honest )
Hellblock is WAY better. Much much better.
I'm sorry about the actors, I know they try their best.
Their scares and outfits are just kinda slow and plain. Concept is kinda boring. Only the very end is scary. The witches don't feel like witches. Their look is not that interesting
This is the house that lady luck should have had in 2011 lol. I'm sorry to agree. But this is not bueno

I absolutely love the 1920s theming this house has. I wish the second half of the house kept up the speakeasy atmosphere, as I think really committing to that style could’ve saved it from some of the negative reception.

I believe they have added some VO to the beginning of the house as you enter the facade and go down the first hall. The cast when I went through last night was way more energetic and either I saw someone I always missed or they added/moved a scare and it got me. It was the best run yet I have had. So hopefully the improvement continues.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I believe they have added some VO to the beginning of the house as you enter the facade and go down the first hall. The cast when I went through last night was way more energetic and either I saw someone I always missed or they added/moved a scare and it got me. It was the best run yet I have had. So hopefully the improvement continues.

I also noticed the added VO, which was helpful in establishing the theme for those who didn’t read the ad copy. Hope they add a little more deeper into the maze.

I also noticed the added VO, which was helpful in establishing the theme for those who didn’t read the ad copy. Hope they add a little more deeper into the maze.
Yeah, the front half was much better and had an added actor I think somewhere. The cavem part is still a little too sparse with the rune room being a big nothing burger and the finale being eh. I think they could add someone to that barrel room on the right where it seems they have a mirror effect there and I keep thinking someone should be there.

Yeah, the front half was much better and had an added actor I think somewhere. The cavem part is still a little too sparse with the rune room being a big nothing burger and the finale being eh. I think they could add someone to that barrel room on the right where it seems they have a mirror effect there and I keep thinking someone should be there.

It's funny because the only part that feels scary and feels horror nights for me is the second part. Cavern part feels scary.
The beginning is just too soft and kinda friendly looking. Or I don't know whats the word but feels too light. First half feels kinda like a daytime ride. Not really horror

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
It's funny because the only part that feels scary and feels horror nights for me is the second part. Cavern part feels scary.
The beginning is just too soft and kinda friendly looking. Or I don't know whats the word but feels too light. First half feels kinda like a daytime ride. Not really horror
Scenic wise I totally agree. However that back half just doesn't have enough people and the stupid single piano key that feels like it's supposed to evoke suspense and terror but there aren't scares to back it up. They also moved some of the ugly ones towards the first half and they actually got in your face.

As a side not I saw Barbarian yesterday and
it made me more disappointed about the back half of this house. And also how I would make that movie into a house.

Scenic wise I totally agree. However that back half just doesn't have enough people and the stupid single piano key that feels like it's supposed to evoke suspense and terror but there aren't scares to back it up. They also moved some of the ugly ones towards the first half and they actually got in your face.

As a side not I saw Barbarian yesterday and
it made me more disappointed about the back half of this house. And also how I would make that movie into a house.

It's kinda strange and surprising on how the witch scarezone by fast and furious is much more scary even outside. I got more scares by that zone with the demons. Those are really strong costumes and characters. Really creepy at night.

Reactions: ultimateforce
The actor I saw doing the piano scare looked absolutely insane, and not in the right way. He stood perfectly straight at attention with a thousand yard stare, blank expression, just pounding on the keys. It was baffling what he was trying to convey.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucky Planet
On the UtH tour the witches -though immortal- do age and as you move through house the older witches from previous eras are present. The style of dress changes (Edwardian, Victorian) as well to reflect these much older witches. Out tour guide last Saturday said they were redoing audio tracks
Did you do the 1PM? I think we were on the same tour lol. But yeah, tbh if I didn’t do the 3 house tour a lot of the story would be lost on me especially that and the elevator. Wish I could’ve seen the house with those added lines

The audio changes are wholly necessary and exactly what someone in this thread suggested. I hope someone can run down what dialogue was added.

On top of that, though, the hag witches need to be more aggressive. Many of the flapper witches are doing their thing and going for scares, but many of the hags have simply "appeared" and then dipped. The plot is already confusing - the hags need to make abundantly clear why we, the guests, are in danger.

(There's also the matter that the hag masks simply do not look very good, but I imagine there's no fixing that at this stage.)

You move so quick through the house and the scare triggers are so loud, that I honestly can't see dialogue in the house making much difference.
I'm not sure there's enough time while walking to hear and understand anything going on.
Maybe it helps but it's gonna be hard to see the house improve

New dialogue added is at the beginning, primarily a new voiceover at the facade explaining you need to know the password to get in, and the Witch Queen interrupting with whispers of what the password is.

Bartender and flapper witch have lines now, really makes those first few scenes more fun than they already were!

Did you do the 1PM? I think we were on the same tour lol. But yeah, tbh if I didn’t do the 3 house tour a lot of the story would be lost on me especially that and the elevator. Wish I could’ve seen the house with those added lines
Lol no we were 915 am. Did you have Zac as guide though?
I love how the houses adapt and change. Have seen 3 people down in line now over 2 weekends. Heat? Dehydration? Even fans circulating air would help.

Went tonight, had more actors than I've ever seen working in this house before which is a good change. It definitely has improved with intensity on the front half (shoutout to that first password guy, he was really going at it) and the voicelines help, but its still pretty slow and low intensity. Hope we see some big shifts in energy cast-wide.