HHN 31: Spirits of the Coven | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Spirits of the Coven

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Allison

Staff
Apr 18, 2018
789ED0F3-A029-4A77-A4D1-84F57F2D7FF4.jpeg

They’re Bewitchingly Terrifying.

A coven of beautiful flapper witches will lure you into their 1920s speakeasy, reveal their haggish true form and turn your scream squad into a witch’s brew. They’ll be cackling; you’ll be screaming.

From the Discover Universal podcast:

This is a really cool one. 1920s speakeasys. This is a decade that is just ripe with awesomeness. Great aesthetics, great music, great fashion. But this house... you'll journey through a forbidden speakeasy where you will not escape the trappings of the coven. They turn all who enter into their witches brew and smuggling the brew to other covens. Enter if you dare as human's are the main ingredient in the Spirits of the Coven. You are entering this speakeasy and everything seems cool and very quickly you are aware that this was a trap. You are going to get sliced up, boiled up, turned into this brew and you are the main ingredient of this witches brew. And as you go further, you go past all the cool speakeasy stuff and you are traveling into the depths of this place which is not cool and is not all flashy and fun. This should be terrifying and awesome. It's so Halloween. This is one where we absolutely just love the design.

Oh geez... am I the only one that reads that podcast description & automatically get reminded of SAWS-N-STEAM!?

Look, it's a great cliche "mortals as ingredients" concept, but this execution is literally just copy/paste from 2011's house (and 2010 SZ) with a shiny glittery witchy 20s makeover.

Reactions: Midnight Detective
I’m usually good with witches, but the butchery aspect is NOT my favorite (Texas Chainsaw is the scariest classic horror film for me). I think it’ll be interesting to see how these two horror conventions mash up.

Reactions: Midnight Detective
I felt like I've seen this house before so many other times.

Drab lighting, drab scenes, uninspired scares.

2/5 - How can the witches go from being so fun in 30 to this dull in 31?

Reactions: Speed
Maybe I just need to go through this house again, but man this house was a major whiff for me last night. Way too high concept and confusing for what is honestly a pretty fun hook, 1920s abolition era bar with witches making potions. That's very solid, but it leaned a little too hard into the more cult-y imagery rather than the more classic Halloween-y ideas which I think was a detriment. Feels like even if both were a little confusing, Case Files was at least fun nonsense your first run thru. I'll see what kinda story stuff I can pick up over time.

The scarea are very lacking, the actors were not given good triggers at all, and on their first night they didn't seem to be compensating for that yet energy wise. The scare movements themselves felt very Plexi impaired. No one lunged at me the whole time, no one got in my face or anywhere near me really. A lot of people walked out and quipped or laughed or did a grunt at me, and then slowly walked back into their spot. It felt like Icons without the giant plastic sheets, but if they didn't take advantage of not having giant plastic sheets. Meh.

I'll say one thing, I like the idea of the first half being very fun 1920s Flapper era flair and then the latter half being really dark and muted. In concept, that's a neat dichotomy and could make for a very interesting run. In execution, I just don't think either worked that well at all. And frankly, at the risk of coming off too mean, the one thing it reminded me of most was the Hotel house from HoS Orlando last year. Which for HHN, well....yikes.

Hope this gets much better in time.

After watching the video, what this house needs is WORDS. I think a really easy way to fix this house IMMEDIATELY is give these girls more story to play with.

“I’ll give you somethin’ to wet your whistle…” “This place is the cat’s pyjamas!” “Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes? Come to the back, we got a surprise for you…” to “Mmm, this music is just DELICIOUS”, “The boss’ll put just about anything into the bathtub gin… Wanna take a swim?” “You’re such a cutie… too bad you’re going in the drink.” “If looks could kill… you’d be in trouble.” “Aw gee, won’t you give it a taste?” “One sip and all your dreams’ll come true, sugar.” “Were you thinking of leaving alone, ladies? I don’t think you should leave AT ALL.”

After the jig is up, the flapper witches need to all have WEAPONS, or must have some sort of magical trigger that can make an effect on the room “move” like the wands in Hogsmeade. Or like, they flick their wrist and a victim fetches.They are currently shown as largely powerless.

Also, piano guy has the opportunity to be great and have live dialogue, but his trigger is… bad. Also, someone tell him how one plays the piano.

^Lmao I was going to say that in almost every walkthrough I’ve seen so far, the piano player is doing exactly what Matt Bellamy did on one of the occasions Muse stuck it to tv producers making them lip sync for on-air appearances

Reactions: jadaada
After watching the video, what this house needs is WORDS. I think a really easy way to fix this house IMMEDIATELY is give these girls more story to play with.

“I’ll give you somethin’ to wet your whistle…” “This place is the cat’s pyjamas!” “Aren’t you a sight for sore eyes? Come to the back, we got a surprise for you…” to “Mmm, this music is just DELICIOUS”, “The boss’ll put just about anything into the bathtub gin… Wanna take a swim?” “You’re such a cutie… too bad you’re going in the drink.” “If looks could kill… you’d be in trouble.” “Aw gee, won’t you give it a taste?” “One sip and all your dreams’ll come true, sugar.” “Were you thinking of leaving alone, ladies? I don’t think you should leave AT ALL.”

After the jig is up, the flapper witches need to all have WEAPONS, or must have some sort of magical trigger that can make an effect on the room “move” like the wands in Hogsmeade. Or like, they flick their wrist and a victim fetches.They are currently shown as largely powerless.

Also, piano guy has the opportunity to be great and have live dialogue, but his trigger is… bad. Also, someone tell him how one plays the piano.

Haven't watched the video yet, but really surprising to hear there is little to no dialogue - especially after the amount of well-received witch dialogue in Wicked Growth. Could definitely may be something they fix if they have the drive/resources to record some lines and swap out the trigger cues.

I was never expecting this to be a scary house so I'm not too surprised by these reactions. Hopefully the cast improves by the time I'm there.

The lighting was darker with more fog effects last night, this was a big improvement.

The mine cart gag takes too long to reset.

The witches still don't really do anything.

Reactions: SeventyOne