Horror Movies Thread | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Some good "lesser known" relatively recent horror films for those looking for some off the beaten path:

Triangle
Terrifier
The Furies
Haunt (2019)
Coherence
Clown
The Woman
The Collector
The Wretched
Excision
Pet
Last Shift
Blood Punch

HAUNT was a very pleasant surprise; over the last few years, there have been several horror movies taking place at haunts, and I think it's certainly the best of that bunch.

Hope its ok to share this... I made a Killer Microwave Horror Short film little over a year ago. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

View attachment 14023
A negligent house sitter is unknowingly stalked by a malevolent flesh-eating microwave!

I'd also like to recommend Chopping Mall for those of you who enjoy lower rent genre cinema, anyone seen it?

Nice short. Kind of reminds me of one of those off the wall Bentley Little short stories, like the one about the mac and cheese.

If low rent is your thing, Poultrygeist is the movie for you.

Reactions: JaySalahi
HAUNT was a very pleasant surprise; over the last few years, there have been several horror movies taking place at haunts, and I think it's certainly the best of that bunch.
Yeah totally agree - I'm usually disappointed by those types of films (I'm looking at you Hell Fest), but this one was really solid imo. I really got into The Furies because of the story within the story where the "seekers" weren't the only thing to worry about. If you haven't seen that one, I highly recommend it.

Reactions: belloq87
Oooohh I might look into Haunt. I've been starving for a horror film that toys with that sort of premise. Hellfest sounded cool but I'm glad I didn't waste my money on that film. Wanting to see a well-executed take on that premise.

In terms of horror films, there is one that is obscure but one I HIGHLY recommend and that's Exam. I guess it's more suspense/thriller than horror but there are some Saw-esque elements that tinker around the horror genre so it counts.

Other than that, my recent horror film viewings have been more well known movies like Child's Play, TCM 1 & 2. I freaking love TCM 2. So underrated. So goofy, ridiculous, and over-the-top.

I usually enjoy horror films that know how to make me uneasy and uncomfortable but also not take itself too seriously and be a little ridiculous. TCM 2 and American Werewolf in London come to mind for that.

Oooohh I might look into Haunt. I've been starving for a horror film that toys with that sort of premise. Hellfest sounded cool but I'm glad I didn't waste my money on that film. Wanting to see a well-executed take on that premise.

In terms of horror films, there is one that is obscure but one I HIGHLY recommend and that's Exam. I guess it's more suspense/thriller than horror but there are some Saw-esque elements that tinker around the horror genre so it counts.

Other than that, my recent horror film viewings have been more well known movies like Child's Play, TCM 1 & 2. I freaking love TCM 2. So underrated. So goofy, ridiculous, and over-the-top.

I usually enjoy horror films that know how to make me uneasy and uncomfortable but also not take itself too seriously and be a little ridiculous. TCM 2 and American Werewolf in London come to mind for that.
Yeah Haunt is really cool. It's not like Hell Fest in that it's an entire event. It's an "off the beaten path" extreme house.

Haven't seen Exam. Might have to check that one out.

Neat short! And yeah, CHOPPING MALL is definitely a fun, goofy time for schlock fans.

1984's THE INITIATION is a semi-underrated "horror in a shopping mall" quasi-slasher movie, as well, with some pretty wild plot developments! Streaming for free (with ads) on Tubi, if anyone's curious.
Nice short. Kind of reminds me of one of those off the wall Bentley Little short stories, like the one about the mac and cheese.

If low rent is your thing, Poultrygeist is the movie for you.

Thanks so much for watching and enjoying!!!

I have not seen The Initiation or Poultrygiest and will add them to my list to watch next week!

*cracks knuckles* Ok, if we are breaking into "off-the-beaten-path", boy oh boy do I have a weird one.

It is called Detention, it was made in 2011, Josh Hutcherson and Dane Cook are two of the only really well known stars, and GOOD GOLLY is it a strange movie. Up there with Rubber for bizarre plot, twists, and general kookiness.

Technically it is Horror/Comedy, but do not go in expecting straight adherence to any genre at all. I know I said it before, but this one also comes REAAAALLY recommended that you go in knowing nothing about it, and just strap tf in for a stupid, wacky ride of a film, best enjoyed with a few beverages and an acquaintance to share confused glances with.

I believe it is for rent on either Amazon Prime video or Shudder for free. If anyone else has been subjected to this film or decides to brave it, please let me know your thoughts because I am still thinking about it a couple years later (...it....it comes in waves...*stares into the distance*)

Reactions: DannyPowers
*cracks knuckles* Ok, if we are breaking into "off-the-beaten-path", boy oh boy do I have a weird one.

It is called Detention, it was made in 2011, Josh Hutcherson and Dane Cook are two of the only really well known stars, and GOOD GOLLY is it a strange movie. Up there with Rubber for bizarre plot, twists, and general kookiness.

Technically it is Horror/Comedy, but do not go in expecting straight adherence to any genre at all. I know I said it before, but this one also comes REAAAALLY recommended that you go in knowing nothing about it, and just strap tf in for a stupid, wacky ride of a film, best enjoyed with a few beverages and an acquaintance to share confused glances with.

I believe it is for rent on either Amazon Prime video or Shudder for free. If anyone else has been subjected to this film or decides to brave it, please let me know your thoughts because I am still thinking about it a couple years later (...it....it comes in waves...*stares into the distance*)
I love Detention. So bizarre. To the extent it almost stops feeling like a horror movie.

I love Detention. So bizarre. To the extent it almost stops feeling like a horror movie.
Oh 100% agree. There is a body count, sure, and technically a through-line plot about a killer, but it definitely takes a backseat to some other, uh, plot points

I thought that I had seen, or was at least aware of, most decently known horror flicks. But, this one got past the goalie somehow. I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

BTW...I totally forgot that this thread existed.

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
I thought that I had seen, or was at least aware of, most decently known horror flicks. But, this one got past the goalie somehow. I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

BTW...I totally forgot that this thread existed.
Definitely report back, haha, you'll either love it or hate it; I've rarely seen an in between reaction

Reactions: DannyPowers
Watch a film called Repo! The genetic opera.
If a Horror rock opera musical set in the future sounds like your thing then give it a watch. It's very much an acquired taste but if it's your kinda thing it hits all the beats!

Also, it's got lot's of gore since the producers of Saw got their hands on it.

Watch a film called Repo! The genetic opera.
If a Horror rock opera musical set in the future sounds like your things then give it a watch. It's very much an acquired taste but if it's your taste it hits all the beats!

Also, lot's of gore since the producers of Saw got their hands on it.
This movie is such a great cult film.

Reactions: krazyhorrorkid
Not a movie, but the Spanish show 30 COINS on HBO Max is a terrific horror series. It's like if somebody dropped THE EXORCIST, THE DA VINCI CODE, THE THING, THE OMEN, and a whole bunch of other occult stuff into a blender, and the result is a very fresh, fun fusion of ideas. Gross monsters, solid gore, a sometimes tongue-in-cheek sense of humor, and some surprisingly compelling theological discussion.

Run up of some of the films/series I've seen recently:

The Stand (2020/CBS All-Access/Josh Boone & Benjamin Cavell) - 4 / 5 - It's been a dramatically divisive adaptation and I can understand why but I thoroughly loved this new version of Stephen King's ultimate tale of good versus evil and the grey that exists in all of us. The storyelling will be most people's sticking point but I didn't mind it at all and thought it was a refreshing take on the material. I mostly just love this series because of how great the cast is. Alexander Skarsgard as Randall Flagg, Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail Freemantle, Greg Kinnear as Glen Bateman and Owen Teague as Harold Lauder breath such exuberant life into their characters. The rest of the main cast aren't slouches either. Nat Wolff as Lloyd Henreid and Brad Willam Henke as Tom Cullen stole the show, in my opinion, they were great every time they came on the screen. I thought this new version actually did a better job communicating some of the decisions and arcs these characters go through compared to the original adaptation, which while a little slice of 90's cheese, I do still also love (hey, maybe the story's kind of a great one?). Great set work and cinematography on display as well. The only real disappointment was the final episode, which acts as an epilogue of sorts and features a new expansion penned by King himself. It's unnecessary and hits you over the head with meaning and message, I'd rather have just expanded more elsewhere instead of Frannie and Stu's added journey. Up until then, however, the show is a blast.

Willy's Wonderland
(2021/Kevin Lewis) - 1/2 / 5 - You can read my in depth review in the actual topic but it just didn't do it for me. I'm not particularly fond of Crazy Cage but I can enjoy him in the right role (see Colour Out of Space or Mom & Dad). Bad acting, bad writing, bad effects, all Willy has to sell is Cage and he isn't enough to save the abandoned establishment for me.

Bloody Hell (2020/Alister Grierson) - 3 / 5 - A fun romping mix of a bank heist gone wrong, a tourist spot gone awry and a crazed family of cannibals. Rex flies to Finland to get away from the constant derision and media attention he receives after preventing a bank robber but causing the death of an innocent civilian along the way. There he is captured by a creepy Finnish family that is intent on having him for dinner, quite literally. It's up to Rex and his talkative consciousness to get out alive with all remaining limbs intact. The performance of the lead here really makes or breaks the movie and Ben O'Toole really shines in a performance reminiscent of Bruce Campbell. I really wish we could have seen more battling between Rex and the family (there's really just one big encounter to end the movie) and the movie sets itself up perfectly to have a nice character arc moment but never goes for it. A bloody fun time worth catching.

Freaky (2020/Christopher Landon) - 2 / 5 - The latest Blumhouse teenage/young adult horror comedy has a brilliant set up (Freaky Friday with a Jason Voorhees stand-in and the final girl) but fails in its set up and execution, which is surprising given the talent involved here (Landon helmed the terrific Happy Death Day). Right off the bat, I absolutely loved how brutal the film got with its killing sequences, a nice surprise for a BH horror-comedy. I could actually see Jason doing some of these kills in a new Friday the 13th film! I really did enjoy Vince Vaughn here, he was terrific in a dual role as a stalking, imposing serial killer monster before swapping into the role of a high school senior girl (I cracked up whenever he started running after the switch). Unfortunately, the thinely veiled BH pastiche of the high school character swath didn't do it for me here. After a great opening scene and in between the plotting swap between the two main characters, the movie is just really dull and boring for large chunks. The film has to go so far out of its way to set up the switch and baits for later in the film that it took me out of the viewing. It's also a detriment that I just don't like or care about the lead girl, Millie, nearly as much as I do a Tree from Happy Death Day. I would give it a watch just for Vaughn, some groovy kills and some fun moments but overall it was a serious let down considered how hyped I was for it.

Finally, I'd like to drop a recommendation for the BBC program Inside No. 9. It's an anthology show wherein each episode is effectively a short play. The creation of Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, it is an amazing watch. While not always horror or genre related, there are some more genre specific episodes (the live Halloween special in particular is great horror fun). The show does sit firmly in the realm of dark comedy and each episode usually revolves around some sort of demented twist or reveal. It is hilarious, scary, thought provoking, heartwarming and all around a special show. It's a brilliantly done show that deserves as many eyes on it as possible.

Run up of some of the films/series I've seen recently:

The Stand (2020/CBS All-Access/Josh Boone & Benjamin Cavell) - 4 / 5 - It's been a dramatically divisive adaptation and I can understand why but I thoroughly loved this new version of Stephen King's ultimate tale of good versus evil and the grey that exists in all of us. The storyelling will be most people's sticking point but I didn't mind it at all and thought it was a refreshing take on the material. I mostly just love this series because of how great the cast is. Alexander Skarsgard as Randall Flagg, Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail Freemantle, Greg Kinnear as Glen Bateman and Owen Teague as Harold Lauder breath such exuberant life into their characters. The rest of the main cast aren't slouches either. Nat Wolff as Lloyd Henreid and Brad Willam Henke as Tom Cullen stole the show, in my opinion, they were great every time they came on the screen. I thought this new version actually did a better job communicating some of the decisions and arcs these characters go through compared to the original adaptation, which while a little slice of 90's cheese, I do still also love (hey, maybe the story's kind of a great one?). Great set work and cinematography on display as well. The only real disappointment was the final episode, which acts as an epilogue of sorts and features a new expansion penned by King himself. It's unnecessary and hits you over the head with meaning and message, I'd rather have just expanded more elsewhere instead of Frannie and Stu's added journey. Up until then, however, the show is a blast.

Willy's Wonderland (2021/Kevin Lewis) - 1/2 / 5 - You can read my in depth review in the actual topic but it just didn't do it for me. I'm not particularly fond of Crazy Cage but I can enjoy him in the right role (see Colour Out of Space or Mom & Dad). Bad acting, bad writing, bad effects, all Willy has to sell is Cage and he isn't enough to save the abandoned establishment for me.

Bloody Hell (2020/Alister Grierson) - 3 / 5 - A fun romping mix of a bank heist gone wrong, a tourist spot gone awry and a crazed family of cannibals. Rex flies to Finland to get away from the constant derision and media attention he receives after preventing a bank robber but causing the death of an innocent civilian along the way. There he is captured by a creepy Finnish family that is intent on having him for dinner, quite literally. It's up to Rex and his talkative consciousness to get out alive with all remaining limbs intact. The performance of the lead here really makes or breaks the movie and Ben O'Toole really shines in a performance reminiscent of Bruce Campbell. I really wish we could have seen more battling between Rex and the family (there's really just one big encounter to end the movie) and the movie sets itself up perfectly to have a nice character arc moment but never goes for it. A bloody fun time worth catching.

Freaky (2020/Christopher Landon) - 2 / 5 - The latest Blumhouse teenage/young adult horror comedy has a brilliant set up (Freaky Friday with a Jason Voorhees stand-in and the final girl) but fails in its set up and execution, which is surprising given the talent involved here (Landon helmed the terrific Happy Death Day). Right off the bat, I absolutely loved how brutal the film got with its killing sequences, a nice surprise for a BH horror-comedy. I could actually see Jason doing some of these kills in a new Friday the 13th film! I really did enjoy Vince Vaughn here, he was terrific in a dual role as a stalking, imposing serial killer monster before swapping into the role of a high school senior girl (I cracked up whenever he started running after the switch). Unfortunately, the thinely veiled BH pastiche of the high school character swath didn't do it for me here. After a great opening scene and in between the plotting swap between the two main characters, the movie is just really dull and boring for large chunks. The film has to go so far out of its way to set up the switch and baits for later in the film that it took me out of the viewing. It's also a detriment that I just don't like or care about the lead girl, Millie, nearly as much as I do a Tree from Happy Death Day. I would give it a watch just for Vaughn, some groovy kills and some fun moments but overall it was a serious let down considered how hyped I was for it.

Finally, I'd like to drop a recommendation for the BBC program Inside No. 9. It's an anthology show wherein each episode is effectively a short play. The creation of Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, it is an amazing watch. While not always horror or genre related, there are some more genre specific episodes (the live Halloween special in particular is great horror fun). The show does sit firmly in the realm of dark comedy and each episode usually revolves around some sort of demented twist or reveal. It is hilarious, scary, thought provoking, heartwarming and all around a special show. It's a brilliantly done show that deserves as many eyes on it as possible.
I liked Freaky quite a bit. Haven't seen any of the others on this list, but I plan on seeing Willy's Wonderland in the next couple of weeks.

I liked Freaky quite a bit. Haven't seen any of the others on this list, but I plan on seeing Willy's Wonderland in the next couple of weeks.

I wanted to love Freaky so damn much but it just didn't click for me, especially Millie and her group of friends. I think I'll be in the minority with regards to Willy's Wonderland but variety is the spice of life so to each their own!

This weekend's viewing treats:

Psycho Goreman (2020/Steven Kostanski) - 3.5 / 5 - Just a fun, fun, fun ass film. One dash Power Rangers, one dash Mary & Kate (if they were brats) and crank the gore up to 11, PG is a blast of a film ride. Basically, little girl who bullies her older brother harnesses the power of a long buried demi-god demon who can wreck planetary havoc by himself to demented delight. I can't really understate how much I loved the creature design here, it's such a fresh breath of air in a world where almost everything creative is done digitally with CGI. It's so fun to see a team that likely created things out of duct tape and trips to Home Depot putting forth such a great display of originality and passionate charm. PG is ripe for a double feature billing with Turbo Kid as charming, low budget, high creativity gory as all hell romps.

Detention (2011/Joseph Kahn) - 4 / 5 - I've known about this apparent 'high school slasher' with Dane Cook as the principal for years but was never full in on watching it until it was brought up here. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. I don't even know where to start with this one, it's such a monstrous ball of maniacal fun that hits the ground running and never lets up until the credits start playing. I can see a huge love/hate with Detention but it legitimately goes so far into wild territory that I couldn't not love it. I thought I was going to loathe it once it started playing into high school tropes but it earned my love by the end. Definitely moreso horror adjacent but very much worth a watch, it's almost an experience. For as much as I'm sure it's gets shafted for being too insane and comedic, it's put together with exceptional craft, the cinematography is gorgeous at times.

Spontaneous (2020/Brian Duffield) - 4 / 5 - Decided to roll into a double feature of weird high school love stories by following up Detention with this. The senior class of Mara and Dylan start inexplicably spontaneously combusting, pushing them to jumpstart a romantic kindling in a time where they don't know if they'll make it to tomorrow. Similarly to Detention, I thought I might be left behind with Spontaneous' schitck of quirky high schoolers who say something interesting or funny with every line but it's exceptionally hard not to fall in love with these characters and cheer for them. In the hands of a lesser filmmaker, this would have flopped pretty hard but Duffield (a first time director to boot) handles it incredibly. Endearing characters that get drenched in blood and find love along the way, it's almost Shakespearean!

This weekend's viewing treats:

Psycho Goreman (2020/Steven Kostanski) - 3.5 / 5

Detention (2011/Joseph Kahn) - 4 / 5

Spontaneous (2020/Brian Duffield) - 4 / 5
I have been trying to find time to watch Spontaneous since I came across the trailer! I'm so glad they didn't skimp on the gore and happy to hear the teen romance didn't bog it down too much (two of my fears for sure)! Happy to hear you enjoyed Detention too, in all its weird, genre-bending glory, haha