Horror Movies Thread | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This weekend's viewing treats:

Psycho Goreman (2020/Steven Kostanski) - 3.5 / 5 - Just a fun, fun, fun ass film. One dash Power Rangers, one dash Mary & Kate (if they were brats) and crank the gore up to 11, PG is a blast of a film ride. Basically, little girl who bullies her older brother harnesses the power of a long buried demi-god demon who can wreck planetary havoc by himself to demented delight. I can't really understate how much I loved the creature design here, it's such a fresh breath of air in a world where almost everything creative is done digitally with CGI. It's so fun to see a team that likely created things out of duct tape and trips to Home Depot putting forth such a great display of originality and passionate charm. PG is ripe for a double feature billing with Turbo Kid as charming, low budget, high creativity gory as all hell romps.

Detention (2011/Joseph Kahn) - 4 / 5 - I've known about this apparent 'high school slasher' with Dane Cook as the principal for years but was never full in on watching it until it was brought up here. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. I don't even know where to start with this one, it's such a monstrous ball of maniacal fun that hits the ground running and never lets up until the credits start playing. I can see a huge love/hate with Detention but it legitimately goes so far into wild territory that I couldn't not love it. I thought I was going to loathe it once it started playing into high school tropes but it earned my love by the end. Definitely moreso horror adjacent but very much worth a watch, it's almost an experience. For as much as I'm sure it's gets shafted for being too insane and comedic, it's put together with exceptional craft, the cinematography is gorgeous at times.

Spontaneous (2020/Brian Duffield) - 4 / 5 - Decided to roll into a double feature of weird high school love stories by following up Detention with this. The senior class of Mara and Dylan start inexplicably spontaneously combusting, pushing them to jumpstart a romantic kindling in a time where they don't know if they'll make it to tomorrow. Similarly to Detention, I thought I might be left behind with Spontaneous' schitck of quirky high schoolers who say something interesting or funny with every line but it's exceptionally hard not to fall in love with these characters and cheer for them. In the hands of a lesser filmmaker, this would have flopped pretty hard but Duffield (a first time director to boot) handles it incredibly. Endearing characters that get drenched in blood and find love along the way, it's almost Shakespearean!

I was kind of the opposite of you on Detention. I went in thinking I was going to really like it but ended up very lukewarm on it. 5/10 from me. Thought it tried too hard to be edgy and quirky. Just didn't hit for me. I did, however, like The Mortuary Collection, which I saw the same day. 7/10. The stories were really fun and bizarre, and the twist blindsided me. I'd recommend to anyone who likes anthology horror films.

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
You all are way more into horror than I am! I love it if it is good, but my favorite is when horror directors make other good movies! For example, I consider myself a huge George A. Romero fan - but Knightriders is in his top 4 (you all know the tope 3)*.

That said, how about "It Follows"?

*Also, Spider-Man and Lord of the Rings.

Yeah, it's fun to see what directors who made their name in horror can do with material outside the genre. One of John Carpenter's best movies is STARMAN, for example.

Reactions: Skold
You all are way more into horror than I am! I love it if it is good, but my favorite is when horror directors make other good movies! For example, I consider myself a huge George A. Romero fan - but Knightriders is in his top 4 (you all know the tope 3)*.

That said, how about "It Follows"?

*Also, Spider-Man and Lord of the Rings.
It Follows was good. I think it was a little overrated, but I thought the concept was strong and overall it was an enjoyable movie. The opening scene was actually my favorite part - thought it set the stage for a scarier movie than what came after. The score was absolutely amazing - very Carpenteresque. I had some issues with continuity and the pool scene was kind of goofy imo. But I liked the originality for sure.

I was kind of the opposite of you on Detention. I went in thinking I was going to really like it but ended up very lukewarm on it. 5/10 from me. Thought it tried too hard to be edgy and quirky. Just didn't hit for me. I did, however, like The Mortuary Collection, which I saw the same day. 7/10. The stories were really fun and bizarre, and the twist blindsided me. I'd recommend to anyone who likes anthology horror films.

It felt like Detention was going to end up that way to me and it likely would have if it had been more... linear but it goes so damn overboard it screams past the border of sanity and lands in such a bonkers land that I couldn't help but not love it. I could absolutely see how some wouldn't get into it however.

Mortuary Collection was one of my favorites of 2020 that I actually caught during the year. It takes a lot of work to make anthology movies work and they pulled it off really well there. That film alone made it worth having Shudder for the year.

Reactions: JJ591
Here are a few lesser known flicks that came out last year that stood out to me.

I See You: Don't read up on this one at all. Just see it. It also features a great mask design

Scare Me: Two people locked in a cabin telling each other scary stories. Great writing, great acting.

The Dark and the Wicked: Rural horror from the creator of The Strangers

Anything for Jackson: The story of a reverse exorcism that gets reallllly wacky in parts.

Becky: Kevin James leads a group of white supremacists tryin to avoid getting Home Aloned by a young girl.

VFW/Bliss: A two pack from the same writer/director that couldn't be more different. One is a Carpenter throwback about vets defending their bar from drugged out punks, the other about vampire artists in L.A.

After Midnight: A slow burn about a recently single gent tormented by a nightly visit from a creature.

Daniel Isn't Real: A young man realizes that his childhood imaginary friend may not have been so imaginary.

Here are a few lesser known flicks that came out last year that stood out to me.

I See You: Don't read up on this one at all. Just see it. It also features a great mask design

Scare Me: Two people locked in a cabin telling each other scary stories. Great writing, great acting.

The Dark and the Wicked: Rural horror from the creator of The Strangers

Anything for Jackson: The story of a reverse exorcism that gets reallllly wacky in parts.

Becky: Kevin James leads a group of white supremacists tryin to avoid getting Home Aloned by a young girl.

VFW/Bliss: A two pack from the same writer/director that couldn't be more different. One is a Carpenter throwback about vets defending their bar from drugged out punks, the other about vampire artists in L.A.

After Midnight: A slow burn about a recently single gent tormented by a nightly visit from a creature.

Daniel Isn't Real: A young man realizes that his childhood imaginary friend may not have been so imaginary.

saw Anything for Jackson, Dark and the Wicked, and VFW. Thought all three were solid 6/10 films - though VERY different movies. Haven't seen the others, but have Bliss in my queue to watch soon!

Reactions: DannyPowers
The Dark and the Wicked (2020/Bryan Bertino) - 2.5 / 5 - Despite being warned by their mother, a sister and brother head back home to the family farm to help their bed ridden father and faltering mom, only to find something indeed dark and wicked waiting for them in the goat pen. This was a fine film for me, nothing spectacular or genre re-inventing but a story seen before told in a well executed manner. The beginning is almost too slow but I can't blame it too much since it is a slow burn type of build up. The story does suffer massively from something I personally disdain in horror films: a seemingly powerful demonic entity/the devil who can influence you mentally but physically can't do much, which usually ends up bringing me out of a movie. Despite that I would praise how well the movie looks, the acting and the atmosphere is damn thick in certain scenes.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020/Jim Cummings) - 1 / 5 - A stressed, rage filled, (slightly) incompetent police officer in a small mountain town races to figure out whether the spree of brutal serial killings is man made or more supernatural in origin. I will preface my review with this: I have never seen anything Jim Cummings was in or created before viewing this film, I simply went in knowing it was a horror comedy possibly with a werewolf of some sort. That out the way, I really would not call myself a Cummings fan. I think I admittedly have quite a range of humor and a weird one at that but he just... isn't funny to me. On top of his comedy styling not really appealing, he is not a very capable actor, IMO. Which may be part of the joke, but he severely detracted from the film. Aside from him, the story felt very... just messy and lackluster. It had some nice gore gags and some of the jokes did land well but overall, I'm pretty disappointed since horror comedy is my favorite sub-genre.

Idle Hands (1999/Rodman Flender) - 3.5 / 5 - Anton, a lazy, couch eating, stoner delinquent has his idle right hand become the devil's playpen and must save the girl of his dreams from its wraith at the high school Halloween dance. It's such a damn shame Flender hasn't gotten the ability to deliver more horror comedy because this film demonstrates he has got a great knack for it (haven't seen Eat Brains Love yet but I have high hopes for it!). Despite playing the playpen of a stoner comedy, Idle Hands has a great cast of characters that I can't help but love in 90 minutes. The difficulty in horror comedy usually stems from maintaining a serious horror threat while still being able to churn out jokes and comedic scenes and Idle Hands is a master-play of that. There are tense scenes, brutal scenes, hilarious scenes and many times those roll over each within the same scenes. Not the most poignant or brilliant horror comedy ever made but it is a blast of a film to watch. Also, not going to lie, I think it would make for a nice little HHN house as there are nice set pieces littered throughout the film in a variety of spaces, the tone of fun, crazy horror would fit right at home in the event and the music is also a belter throughout.

Oh man. I couldn't disagree with you more on Wolf of Snow Hollow. I absolutely loved it. Near the top of my list for the year. It had a bit of that absurd Coen Brothers vibe to it, mixed with Twin Peaks, and some werewolf thrown in there.

That being said, I completely understand how, if you weren't into the tone, it would get on your nerves.

Idle Hands (1999/Rodman Flender) - 3.5 / 5 - Anton, a lazy, couch eating, stoner delinquent has his idle right hand become the devil's playpen and must save the girl of his dreams from its wraith at the high school Halloween dance. It's such a damn shame Flender hasn't gotten the ability to deliver more horror comedy because this film demonstrates he has got a great knack for it (haven't seen Eat Brains Love yet but I have high hopes for it!). Despite playing the playpen of a stoner comedy, Idle Hands has a great cast of characters that I can't help but love in 90 minutes. The difficulty in horror comedy usually stems from maintaining a serious horror threat while still being able to churn out jokes and comedic scenes and Idle Hands is a master-play of that. There are tense scenes, brutal scenes, hilarious scenes and many times those roll over each within the same scenes. Not the most poignant or brilliant horror comedy ever made but it is a blast of a film to watch. Also, not going to lie, I think it would make for a nice little HHN house as there are nice set pieces littered throughout the film in a variety of spaces, the tone of fun, crazy horror would fit right at home in the event and the music is also a belter throughout.
This was the first horror movie that I ever saw, and I saw it wayyyy too young on one of those midnight marathons that the old SciFi channel used to run. I tend to gravitate to the horror comedy side of things and this movie is 100% to blame. I have a huge soft spot for this one.

Oh man. I couldn't disagree with you more on Wolf of Snow Hollow. I absolutely loved it. Near the top of my list for the year. It had a bit of that absurd Coen Brothers vibe to it, mixed with Twin Peaks, and some werewolf thrown in there.

That being said, I completely understand how, if you weren't into the tone, it would get on your nerves.

I wanted to love it so, so much going in and I know I'm in the extreme minority on Snow Hollow but it seriously didn't click for me. I love absurd comedy too but it just fell so flat more often than not here. I'm glad that most people seem to really love it though!

OMG Idle Hands. I saw this movie when it was released. So much stupid fun! I totally forgot about the existence of this film. I think you'll enjoy Eat Brains Love. Was a solid 6/10 for me.

I just saw Becky and I really, really enjoyed it! Home Alone is probably my favorite movie of all time, and Becky felt like a very gory, super messed up version of that, so, I definitely second this recommendation!

Reactions: DannyPowers
Two from this weekend:

Villains (2019/Robert Olsen & Dan Berk) - 3.5 / 5 - A modern day Bonnie and Clyde with stunted aspirations and less than stellar intelligence stumble into the path of a deranged aging couple with something peculiar chained in their basement. This is a really light genre offering but it is still a blast to watch. The main couple is portrayed by genre greats Bill Skarsgard (Pennywise from the most recent IT adaptation) and Maika Monre (star of the modern classic It Follows and a personal cult favorite The Guest) and it is a ton of fun to see them both get to play up their comedic chops as both are damn charismatic and damn funny. The acting all around is delightfully demented (Jeffrey Donovan and Kyra Sedgwick play the antagonist psycho couple and likewise do a great job). There are some unnervingly tense moments but the film never dips more than a few toes in the waters of horror. Despite that, I'd fully recommend this one as the cast is such a joy to watch.

Shadow in the Cloud (2020/Roseanne Ling) - 3 / 5 - A highly important, highly confidential fighter pilot carrying an important package stows away on a WWII fighter plane, "The Fool's Errand", which ends up encountering enemies both in the skies as well as a nightmarish creature on board. This was a nice, if most likely forgettable experience. I really dug how the three separate elements (the lead's mysterious package, enemy fighter planes and the 'Gremlin' on board) intertwined. Chole Grace Moretz plays the mysterious stowaway and does a really good job here, her character goes through quite a journey not unlike that of an Ellen Ripley in terms of facing horrific hardship and showing off how much of a badass she is. Conicindentally given the timing, there's a lot of literal battling between her character and the regular flight crew, most of whom are some varying level of mysoginistic or straight up a-hole, sometimes in shocking, hard to stomach fashion. The film also has moments of hyper-flair between its rocking synth score and heightened, vibrant vsuals. All in all a fun ride worth watching that could have serious legs in the future, especially given how much it was buried and not really mentioned last year.

Watched Hunter Hunter (not the anime) last night because it finally came out on Hulu.

Very much worth it and very much worth going into it knowing nothing about it.

Reactions: Sledge and Grabnar