Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 67 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If that is true about the need to redo because of cracks and such, I wonder like how they knew now was the time to address it vs waiting a bit.

This is the second time I have heard about cracks and that is why they needed to do something. So I can believe that. But I can't believe the louder roar part based on all inside information about how sand will be added to the supports. I would think the reason for new supports was the fact that sand was needed to reduce vibration which would reduce stress and not cause the cracks. If you are replacing supports and the concrete, you might as well get smoother track too.

If that is true about the need to redo because of cracks and such, I wonder like how they knew now was the time to address it vs waiting a bit.
Maybe with all the articles on how dirty and rusty hulk was, ride reliability, the roughness, the cracks, and universal in general tidying up the park just warranted it imo maybe.

This is the second time I have heard about cracks and that is why they needed to do something. So I can believe that. But I can't believe the louder roar part based on all inside information about how sand will be added to the supports. I would think the reason for new supports was the fact that sand was needed to reduce vibration which would reduce stress and not cause the cracks. If you are replacing supports and the concrete, you might as well get smoother track too.

Does Kumba have the same set up without adding sand to the supports?

It's just dawned on me that Kumba is only 5 years older than Hulk. In my head Kumba has always seemed far older but then again Islands still feels like a new park to me.

It's just dawned on me that Kumba is only 5 years older than Hulk. In my head Kumba has always seemed far older but then again Islands still feels like a new park to me.

Some amazing people over at universal creative. What I would give just to sit an listen to them brainstorm. Ioa was built wise beyond its years. I never heard of any structural problems with Kumba but then again I do not care about Busch gardens at all.[/QUOTE]

Kumba is incredibly smooth, very well engineered ride. My favorite ride after Montu.

I'm not so sure about sand-filled supports after the pictures that have been shared and what I saw from taking a quick look in person on Tuesday. None of the supports had an apparent plug above the fence line visible, which is the height I would expect them to be at for the tallest of the supports currently standing in the back half. I also didn't see anything on the one support that is back up next to the station/queue building. They could have done something with the box beam of the track to modify noise (both pitch and volume) during manufacturing (like using foam fills or something similar), but that wouldn't be as obvious, and I didn't notice any plugs on the track that was in place either.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I never heard of any structural problems with Kumba but then again I do not care about Busch gardens at all.
I couldn't find anything online to back this up, but one of my high school friend's dad worked on a crew that fixed/redid Kumba's footers. My memory isn't giving me exact dates but I was in high school from 1999-2003.

^ The back tracks were filled with sand right along. Not sure what to say about the cobra curl supports... if you did indeed see them.

I'd be very curious to know the volume of sand in the original back tracks, then, and if they were shipped filled or otherwise. They only have some of the supports in the back half plus that one single tall support next to the building up, nothing in the front half.

I'd be very curious to know the volume of sand in the original back tracks, then, and if they were shipped filled or otherwise. They only have some of the supports in the back half plus that one single tall support next to the building up, nothing in the front half.

Yeah, we had pics of them cutting holes in the old track in the back to empty the sand out. Not sure if I recall the same for the supports. Do they fill the supports with sand on all coasters around the world as a general rule?

Yeah, we had pics of them cutting holes in the old track in the back to empty the sand out. Not sure if I recall the same for the supports. Do they fill the supports with sand on all coasters around the world as a general rule?

No, generally Intamin supports are only filled if a quiet operation is desired. I really am not too sure on B&Ms how sound dampening works, as unlike typical Intamin tri and quad tracks, the box beam adds a lot to the problem (Intamins are quieter than B&Ms to start with anyway, generally).

EDIT: Watching videos, it doesn't seem like the back half was too different acoustically from the front half, but it could have been a little dampened. The only two areas I hear that are different are the turnaround over the station and then the corkscrew, and I know I remember seeing them cutting holes in those sections of track before they removed them. I really want to know how much the voids were filled, now. Was it just enough to cover the "bottom" of the voids in the box beam with an inch or two, or were they completely filled?

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything concerning interior work on the queue building? It's been, "mums the word" for really long. Or is it "silence is golden". I'd think someone out there would know something. :what:

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I've just heard vague pretty vague things about the queue building, and from folks I'd expect know as much about that project as I do about...say...DHS parking changes. Which is to say they're quite distant from the project, but may still have a piece of two of the puzzle. Still, nothing that would really tell me what to expect in any describable detail.