Is the Lack of Magic Bands hurting UOR's Overall Image? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Is the Lack of Magic Bands hurting UOR's Overall Image?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So let me throw this one out there.

Disneyland does not use Magic Bands correct? So do you think the general public would be more impressed with Disney World over Disney land simply because of these bands?
The reason why there is not Magic Bands in DL is because of the set up of the park.... refering to security. Anyone can technically walk to the park entrance by foot, so the open gates idea is not good for them. WDW parks are away from civilization and in order to get in you have to go thru some kind of gate... mostly Parking lot, before you can even have a glimpse on the parks entrance. I think they will eventually find a way to introduce it in California.... I guess

By that theory, yes. Disneyland is set up just like Universal essentially. Obviously has more rides for her 6 year old so their perception could be different.

Only bad I've ever heard of Disneyland is size of castle and size of resort in comparison to WDW. For most part, I find a lot more people prefer Disneyland to Magic Kingdom outright though.

Add me to the list of people who prefer the two DL parks to all of WDW. They are so much easier to navigate and the rides are nice and close together. This is another reason I like Uni is because the parks are within a quick walking distance of eachother.

I honestly think Magic Bands will be at all the resorts soon enough as it is good advertising but believe that certain ones may never receive the FP+ system. In fact, given how big of a deal pin collecting is at DL, I could see specialized or limited edition Magic Bands becoming a thing.

Your kidding yourself if you think facebook, twitter, google or your cellphone provider aren't doing the same thing.
Have I said other wise? But my question to you would be, Is that something Walter E Disney would've done? Is it part of the tradition he left behind? or are you just ok with the corporate monkey see monkey do?

This was my argument, I said that Fast pass was kind of a hassle with scheduling attractions before your visit, and the lack of fast pass availability on popular rides. But this didn't seem to be an issue for them. They said that fast pass at least gives them choices on what rides to do. I think it's an illusion of choice personally.

I'm unclear if your friends had Universal Express or not. If they did, I think they're crazy--it's infinitely preferable to WDW FP. However, it's so efficient I can see guests using it finishing up a park by 2, especially "commando" style, and thinking "there's not a lot to so here."

If they didn't in addition to MagicBands being cool toys--which they are--maybe they equate the band to free FP?

Reactions: greendude33
I don't think the lack of MagicBands makes Universal looks any less "state of the art" but I wouldn't be against Universal getting a MagicBand-like system. I would be very excited for that, actually. Now, I DON'T want Disney's FP+ system. Not at all. Keep Universal Express the way it is as it works much better and I am not interested in planning my trip and following a schedule. I would consider myself "hyper organized" as Teebin has mentioned, but not when I'm at a theme park. I would love for Universal to come out with a MagicBand-like device that carried my park tickets, hotel key card+Express pass, credit card for food/merch purchases, and that photo thing Disney does, where all my in park photos, including on-ride photos, are stored for either purchase or social network sharing.

Reactions: MrRoamer
Isn't the Magic Band essentially just your old Key to the Kingdom card but around your wrist, with FastPass+ linked to it? Wouldn't your Universal room key do all that and more since it actually includes unlimited Express from staying in the on-site hotel?

I like the Magic Bands. I think they're cool but it's not like it does much more for the guest experience than before except FastPass+, which has both it's fans and detractors. What it does for Disney and their data mining, however, is a different story.

I think Magic Bands at Universal would be pretty awesome and would love to see them do it. Pretty much all of us are tired of our busted paper Universal APs. They don't hold up, are problematic, and just aren't very cool looking to differentiate ourselves from the regular passholders.

Having something wearable that everyone can have their own and personalize it without having to worry about forgetting or what I did with the pass, and can be your money and hotel key is pretty perfect, especially when Volcano Bay opens up.

My Magic+... no thank you. It artificially inflates lines and in my experience is more of a headache than it is worth, plus I really don't like the preferential system they have created. Paper Fast-Passes were much much better. Flip side, I don't think most people will say having free express passes for a limited number of rides is better than paying extra for something similar, people are going to usually think the free thing is better.

I would cry if Universal adopted the same Magic Band/Fastpass+ system as WDW. However, if Universal could create a system in which guests receive a band to be used for admission, Express Pass, hotel room key, purchases, and any other extra services like Photo Connect or dining plans- or even better, use nothing but their fingerprints (which would have to be registered at some point)- I think it would greatly enhance the guest experience and make people feel like it is "with the times". To some extent, even Busch Gardens and SeaWorld have achieved this through their mobile app (which still has yet to be made available for Windows Phone :angry:).

Have I said other wise? But my question to you would be, Is that something Walter E Disney would've done? Is it part of the tradition he left behind? or are you just ok with the corporate monkey see monkey do?
That's a question that cannot be answered. As much as Walt Disney was a visionary, he also was all about making money.

Also, can we please leave this poor man alone? He's been dead for 50 years. These kind of "What would Walt think/do?" questions are a little ridiculous at this point because there is no answer. You can never know.

Reactions: Teebin
MagicBands are RFID cards wrapped around your wrist.

The problem with MM+, MagicBands, and FP+ is that everyone confusing one for another. MM+ and FP+ are terrible solutions to an artificial problem Disney created.

Water parks and hotels have been using wearable technology like this for many years before WDW adopted it. The problem was glombing other things into the application.

As I was reading this thread before I got a text from a family friend asking questions about MM+ and MagicBank linking, and issues they've had. This is years after their trip and they're planning another. What people seem to forget is that MM+ is not competing against complicated computer solutions, it's competing against the easier things it's replacing. That's the failure.

The reason why there is not Magic Bands in DL is because of the set up of the park.... refering to security. Anyone can technically walk to the park entrance by foot, so the open gates idea is not good for them. WDW parks are away from civilization and in order to get in you have to go thru some kind of gate... mostly Parking lot, before you can even have a glimpse on the parks entrance. I think they will eventually find a way to introduce it in California.... I guess

I think it's more about DL being mostly a locals park who don't plan their trips weeks or months in advance, so FP+ won't be useful and neither would resort key entry.

Reactions: Eckert
I hate planning during my vacation. I don't even wear a watch. FP+ inflated lines at WDW. If you don't use it you abuse yourself and if you do you need a watch. So no more WDW for me. It helps that they don't build any quality rides anymore I care about, Universal does.
Universal gives me, with the lack of any crazyness a vacation feeling when I stay at one of their top resorts. I can ride some rides, relax at the pool, dine at citywalk and doesn't feel stressed. Disney can keep their not so magic nonsens.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Wouldn't your Universal room key do all that and more since it actually includes unlimited Express from staying in the on-site hotel?

No, since you need to carry both your park ticket plus your hotel room key. Sure, you can use your hotel room key card to make purchases across the resort, but there is no option to have a separate card, say a debit card, put onto that hotel key card for purchases. It also doesn't do any sort of dining plan or Photo Connect (thanks @Thatguyoverwhere for reminding me of the name) service. The Photo Connect stuff is something I really wish Universal offered. The hotel room keys do have features that are great, but not enough to make it really something of value.

I want a wristband that opens my hotel room door, gets me in the park, let's me use express, pays for food and souvenirs, lets me get photos taken and saved to my photo account. I know my room key accomplishes 3 of those 7 things and the other three cards are in a lanyard around my neck that is easily scanned. But I want one device to rule them all and I want it to be something I don't have to take out of my pocket. Super lazy, I know.

Lots of "its just a RFID reader" responses...I guarantee this family, and many others have no idea what a RFID reader is.

Some people enjoy planning out their vacations. Before Magic Bands and Fast Pass Plus, there were whole websites (Touring Plans) and forums (DIS BOARDS) dedicated to planning trips, having "fast pass runners", and making the most of your visit. Some of you act like this is such a terrible thing, but I'm sure a lot of people enjoy it. There is nothing stopping you from missing a fast pass and waiting in line like everyone else. It's an option. and it's free.

The wait for Peter Pan was 50 mins on average before magic bands, and I haven't noticed a real increase since their implementation. I think the "inflated" wait times, is just message board chatter. Does anyone have any actual proof of this?

Despite all that, I'm referring more to the overall "perception" of UOR in the wake of Magic Bands. Not necessarily the service it self.

Reactions: IzzyB
I don't think Universal would have anything to lose by implementing a Magic Band-esque system. As has been mentioned, the beauty of the whole thing is that you can use as much or as little of its offerings as you choose. Some people go all out and some people use it simply as a park ticket and room key. The last time I stayed onsite at Universal, I kept the room keys and express passes for my wife and myself in a lanyard, and it was a pain in the ass to mess with, especially when you add our annual passes. So if I'm given a choice between carrying six cards or two wristbands, it's an easy choice, especially if I know that I can use as much or as little of the additional features as I choose.

Regarding perception, I don't think it's hurting Universal at all, but I do think that adding something with this level of convenience could only create more positive buzz.

The wait for Peter Pan was 50 mins on average before magic bands, and I haven't noticed a real increase since their implementation. I think the "inflated" wait times, is just message board chatter. Does anyone have any actual proof of this?

Despite all that, I'm referring more to the overall "perception" of UOR in the wake of Magic Bands. Not necessarily the service it self.

Look to Spaceship Earth. Wait times have increased since implementing FP.

Space Earth was only busy in the morning the last time I went. I would imagine due to the fact it's the first attraction you see.
It was still a walk on after 2pm.