Journey to Atlantis | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Journey to Atlantis

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I love Journey to Atlantis! And the storyline is easy, I guess. Mermaid nice, seahorse nice, mermaid evil, get out, mermaid evil again, done.

I love Journey to Atlantis! And the storyline is easy, I guess. Mermaid nice, seahorse nice, mermaid evil, get out, mermaid evil again, done.

The original storyline may be the dumbest story ever!

Welcome to Atlantis! What where did this come from? Uhhh nevermind that. Look a seahorse, and medusa, then beetleguese music, then evil mermaid, and then .... WHERE THE HELL DID THE SEAHORSE GO? Second drop ride over YEAH THAT FUN!!!

It is a quirky ride. Just rode it for the first time this last December. The BG music was immediately recognizable, and it really threw me for a loop. Really odd. Could see some real effort in building this, but it needed some TLC. Also, wish there was a little more track in the layout of the coaster portion.

It is a quirky ride. Just rode it for the first time this last December. The BG music was immediately recognizable, and it really threw me for a loop. Really odd. Could see some real effort in building this, but it needed some TLC. Also, wish there was a little more track in the layout of the coaster portion.

Hey when this opened in the late 90's it was the thing. That short coaster section was where it was at :lol:

I bet. At the time I'm sure it was a big step for SW. Still holds up okay, if they would brush up on the sound quality and animation triggers. The coaster part was a nice pleasant thrill, if not brief. I can defintely see the progression from this to Turtle Trek to now Antartica. I applaud SW and UNI for adopting the Disney '55-'94 progression. I really am digging Seaworld based on my last trip. Great operations with a great Christmas event.

I still think the theming is very nice. Some of it does look sketchy, like before the first drop and right when you crest the lift that goes back into the building.

But hey, it looks like our Journey to Atlantis looks much better than in San Diego and San Antonio.

Does it? No kidding.. I never have paid attention to the other two. That is interesting to know. I think the building, lagoon, and especially the post-show aquarium are top-notch and under appreciated. I don't mind the show sets in the ride, even near the lift. If they improved the dialog, overall sound quality, and the timing on the triggers it would be a very respectable attraction for 2013. I waited a lot near the exit for folks in my party wanting to repeat, and I saw nothing but happy/wet riders getting off.

Does it? No kidding.. I never have paid attention to the other two. That is interesting to know. I think the building, lagoon, and especially the post-show aquarium are top-notch and under appreciated. I don't mind the show sets in the ride, even near the lift. If they improved the dialog, overall sound quality, and the timing on the triggers it would be a very respectable attraction for 2013. I waited a lot near the exit for folks in my party wanting to repeat, and I saw nothing but happy/wet riders getting off.

Goodness the budget for Orlando was 10 times the other two.

Here,

http://www.google.com/#sclient=tabl...d8f&biw=768&bih=928&biv=i|2;d|8oYZNvkqQztQoM:

http://www.google.com/search?q=jta+...oAQ&biw=768&bih=928#biv=i|6;d|bIMAHYYP8AsbmM:

Wow. Had no idea! What a difference.

I have been to all of the SoCal parks, just not Seaworld. So much for people complaining about the differences between POTC or ToT between the coasts, huh.

To add to that Mike,

PoTC at DL is ten times the ride at WDW. The exact opposite can be said about the TOT at WDW, as its such a better ride than its Hollywood counterpart.

I agree. I always thought WDW had the sleeper queue, until they went and messed that up. It helped, in my mind, make up for the loss of the caverns in the ride.

I was at DCA's ToT right after opening and I was prepared for the single shaft dynamic, but in no way prepared for the hospital-septic corridors leading to and and from the elevator. Talk about taking you out of the experience. What is interesting in both instances is how most guests don't know better. For decades people liked WDW's POTC just fine until the advent of online discussion/sites. For ToT, those either didn't realize it, or used the 5th dimension as a reason why DCA was somehow better. I'll take the 5th dimension any day over DCA's single shaft.

So, I guess not having been to other Seaworlds, I didn't know any better either.

I've only ridden it once before and it was awful. But almost "so bad it's good." The first mermaid displayed on the giant screen has an "error press OK to continue" warning pasted over her fave and chest. There was a chandelier that was supposed to fall, too I think.

I've only ridden it once before and it was awful. But almost "so bad it's good." The first mermaid displayed on the giant screen has an "error press OK to continue" warning pasted over her fave and chest. There was a chandelier that was supposed to fall, too I think.
Yeah, some of the effects are... Eh. At least it has an awesome facade, an actual dark-ride portion, awesome exit area and a decent queue.

Does anyone know what the current refurbishment for Journey to Atlantis entails? I'll be visiting SeaWorld on March 1st for an "educational field trip".

Woo!

Does anyone know what the current refurbishment for Journey to Atlantis entails? I'll be visiting SeaWorld on March 1st for an "educational field trip".

Woo!

You in Marine Biology by chance? I took an educational field trip there once and it wasn't half bad. Got to see some great behind the scenes areas during the visit. As for the JTA refurb its just basic maintenance, cleaning, and painting.

You in Marine Biology by chance? I took an educational field trip there once and it wasn't half bad. Got to see some great behind the scenes areas during the visit. As for the JTA refurb its just basic maintenance, cleaning, and painting.

Yes, well, "AICE Marine Science". So basically the same thing! I'm pretty sure we won't all be in a group together and he'll just let us roam around in groups and do whatever we want while we write some stuff down. So probably no behind the scenes... :(

And that's good! I love JTA, so I'm glad I'll be able to ride it right after a refurbishment.

While both the newer Journey to Atlantis rides aren't on the same level of immersion as the original, the San Diego one doesn't look too bad...but the San Antonio one got completely screwed! Only one lift and one drop no real theming and no indoor scenes? Yuck.