Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 549 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like them fine. Big Thunder Mountain, Everest, Space Mountain, Mummy, Gringotts even though it should’ve had more “umph” like we see in the movies, I’m sure Hagrid will be added to this list, etc.

See the pattern here? All done with more effort than “yeah you just go high and fast.”

Read the rest of my post that I added. As another add I enjoyed Nitro and El Toro when I went to Six Flags but those aren’t the types of rides I go to Disney/Universal for. I also went on King da Ka and for all the hype the ride was a complete bore that was over in a few seconds.
Yeah, I see a pattern. As far as coasters go all the ones in your first paragraph are crappy "coasters". Good attractions, but crappy coasters.

It’s smart.

To me, it enables Universal to appeal to the pre-teen, teenager, and younger adults more effectively than Disney currently does. I'm not saying that those age groups don't like Disney but just that Universal's offerings fit their demographic better. When all you build are rides aimed at the three to nine year old set, you shouldn't be shocked if more families either skip you or set aside more time for Universal. This year, depending on what we do, I am definitely setting time aside for Uni/IOA without question.

Just going to say a ride like Forbidden Journey (especially as it originally opened) is at a thrill level that Disney doesn’t seem to want to go to. I’d salivate for more of those :drool:

Forbidden Journey is nowhere near the thrill that JP coaster will be. Hulk, ToT, Mako, RnRC, Rockit etc aren’t as intense as JP coaster is going to be. It’s unprecedented for Orlando theme park development, and from my point of view, is a long overdue but welcomed addition to the overall flavor Orlando theme parks bring to the world.

Forbidden Journey is nowhere near the thrill that JP coaster will be. Hulk, ToT, Mako, RnRC, Rockit etc aren’t as intense as JP coaster is going to be. It’s unprecedented for Orlando theme park development, and from my point of view, is a long overdue but welcomed addition to the overall flavor Orlando theme parks bring to the world.
Likely true. I was mainly going off of the “Disney doesn’t go there” point. After Mission: SPACE I don’t think Disney would go to even FJ levels of thrill let alone this. I wish they would though, at least to FJ.

When you put it like that It amazes me that universal is Going to be the One building it. Like this really could be the craziest roller coaster in Florida. I can see thrill junkies that would usually pick Busch gardens Have to make their way to universal for their coaster lineup after this one.

OK, I've been out of the loop for a while and am not going through 500 pages to find the info, so could someone give me a summary of the ride? Manufacturer, elements, speed ,etc? I've just picked up on a launched coaster with a top hat so far, which, while probably fun, doesn't scream intense and crazy.

Reactions: allaboutthatchase
OK, I've been out of the loop for a while and am not going through 500 pages to find the info, so could someone give me a summary of the ride? Manufacturer, elements, speed ,etc? I've just picked up on a launched coaster with a top hat so far, which, while probably fun, doesn't scream intense and crazy.

Intamin, possibility of intensity similar to Maverick at Cedar Point, around 70-80MPH and around 4 inversions.

When you put it like that It amazes me that universal is Going to be the One building it. Like this really could be the craziest roller coaster in Florida. I can see thrill junkies that would usually pick Busch gardens Have to make their way to universal for their coaster lineup after this one.

But someone said that Universal doesn't compete for Bush Gardens customers.

But someone said that Universal doesn't compete for Bush Gardens customers.

They don't. There's no need for Uni to compete with Busch Gardens. BG is a more regional park compared to Uni as an international market. Uni does not need to add a mega coaster to fight off BG's coasters.

Coaster Enthusiasts will visit both parks either way.

Agreed..but this is looking like a mega coaster:grin:. I dont know anything at busch that will be as intense as this fully fledged intamin with high speed. Intamin has those crazy fast inversions that are just over before you know it! I love montu kumba sheikra etc., but those aren't this and this isn't those.

Last edited:
Reactions: allaboutthatchase
Big Thunder and Everest are good coasters IMO.

They are enjoyable coasters but also place more reliance on theme. This may be a pointless argument but, just comparing them against Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, or other major coasters isn't helpful. Big Thunder, Everest, and Hagrid all are telling a story. Steel Vengeance is scaring the bejeebers out of you. Two different aims using the same medium, i.e. a roller coaster. The JP coaster looks to be more like the major coasters while also blending a storyline into it. Maybe the best of both worlds. No matter what and as I've said before, this will give me yet another reason to visit Islands of Adventure and that is wonderful.

Not sure why the discussion seems to be thrills vs theming here, I think both can coexist quite well.

For people who seem lost on why people are let down by this new ride: it's not the ride itself. It's the fact that it's the last hurrah for the Jurassic section of the park, and people wanted something next level from that universe in terms of innovation, theming, and authenticity. They want a real Jurassic Park/World experience, that can wow whether you're on a ride, or taking in the scenery in a magical way only parks like Universal and Disney can deliver.

This ride is probably going to be a lot of fun, but it's not the overall themed 'experience' and world deep dive people have come to love from these parks. If Jurassic wasn't stuck between Kong and Potter with no expansion room, and no plans for Fantastic Worlds, I think people would be a lot more excited.

Jurassic Park is an incredible film, with a huge world built with each successful sequel - plus.... DINOSAURS. It's Universals largest franchise, so it's just a bit odd seeing it get a more 'simple' approach to expansion.

but hey - who knows - maybe this isn't the end for Jurassic at the parks stateside - I know insiders have said it basically is (minus a River Adventure redux with some World retheming to come), but maybe there are larger plans at play, and everyone will be happy.

All I'm saying, is this ride could provide more than just fast coaster thrills - it could be a star attraction with some clever eye catching theming, at least on a superficial level (think Everest).

Status
Not open for further replies.