Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 742 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this would be an interesting aside, in lieu of all the engineering and mechanical aspects of this high speed new Jurassic Park coaster,that posters have been salivating over....From The History Channel ..." 1884 today, the first roller coaster in America opens at Coney Island, NY. Known as a switchback railway, it traveled apx. 6 miles an hr." ...Coasters have come a long way. :thumbsup: :)

I thought this would be an interesting aside, in lieu of all the engineering and mechanical aspects of this high speed new Jurassic Park coaster,that posters have been salivating over....From The History Channel ..." 1884 today, the first roller coaster in America opens at Coney Island, NY. Known as a switchback railway, it traveled apx. 6 miles an hr." ...Coasters have come a long way. :thumbsup: :)

There’s always talk about how people from the past would be mind blown in today’s technological world but imagine bringing somebody from 1884 and putting them on something like Iron Gwazi. They would freak out and then wonder why people would do that for fun. Then wonder why people would pay so much for it. $100 in 1884 is about $2500 today.

Reactions: Mad Dog
There’s always talk about how people from the past would be mind blown in today’s technological world but imagine bringing somebody from 1884 and putting them on something like Iron Gwazi. They would freak out and then wonder why people would do that for fun. Then wonder why people would pay so much for it. $100 in 1884 is about $2500 today.
The ride was 5 cents for one ride on that monster of a coaster. :) :lol: which was actually a tidy sum back then......I recall when I was a young kid in late 1950's Kennywood, and they had tickets to buy for a ride. A ride on one of the coasters was a 10 cent ticket....Soooo, 5 cents 70 years earlier would have been bit steep.....The article continued, and here's where it's interesting on how popular amusement parks were in the early 1920's. On a typical summer day in the 1920's, the three separate parks and beach that comprised Coney Island would get over One Million visitors a day. And we think it's crazy that Magic Kingdom gets 20 million visitors a year. And, no Express passes or Fastpasses. Plus most men wore woolen suits and hats in the summer heat. :lol:

The ride was 5 cents for one ride on that monster of a coaster. :) :lol: which was actually a tidy sum back then......I recall when I was a young kid in late 1950's Kennywood, and they had tickets to buy for a ride. A ride on one of the coasters was a 10 cent ticket....Soooo, 5 cents 70 years earlier would have been bit steep.....The article continued, and here's where it's interesting on how popular amusement parks were in the early 1920's. On a typical summer day in the 1920's, the three separate parks and beach that comprised Coney Island would get over One Million visitors a day. And we think it's crazy that Magic Kingdom gets 20 million visitors a year. And, no Express passes or Fastpasses. Plus most men wore woolen suits and hats in the summer heat. :lol:

And all this time I thought that you were going to describe what it was like to ride a coaster that only went 6 mph. You aren't as old as I thought that you were.

So I'm just going to put this out there... I could be entirely wrong though. So some of us on the forum have talked about rock work and some elements. Just my observation, but I think one of the elements that everyone is thinking is a rock work element is actually something else. Uhm, if you look at the framework, it looks like it has a neck and a tail. Just putting it out there that it could be for something other than what we're guessing. Okay, I'm going put it out there. It's either for a dinosaur of some kind or o dinosaur shaped rock. Take that for what you will.

Reactions: Coasted
So I'm just going to put this out there... I could be entirely wrong though. So some of us on the forum have talked about rock work and some elements. Just my observation, but I think one of the elements that everyone is thinking is a rock work element is actually something else. Uhm, if you look at the framework, it looks like it has a neck and a tail. Just putting it out there that it could be for something other than what we're guessing. Okay, I'm going put it out there. It's either for a dinosaur of some kind or o dinosaur shaped rock. Take that for what you will.

My monitor is kinda small. Can you either enlarge a picture of it and draw a circle around it or tell me exactly where it is so I can focus my strained eyes on where this is? Thanks!!

You're not wrong, it definitely has that look. But given the information we have, it sounds like it's going to be some kind of rock wall/waterfall with rock overhangs. The parts that extend out like a tail and neck are most likely going to be spots the coaster cuts through.

Reactions: RollermanDan

You got a photo of the area?

The fact that they are hand sculpting the rock work tells me that there isn't going to be a lot of rock work.

I don’t understand what you are saying... kong and hogsmeade were hand sculpted concrete. If you are referring to the prefabbed rebar/mesh work some of it can be seen in that picture although most of it has not been put in place yet. These are so small that I doubt they will use gunite or shotcrete for a base.

Status
Not open for further replies.