Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Kennywood Park

This feels like a money thing.
Hard to tell. They really don't change their houses much from one year to the next. So, I'm thinking it's money in the case of not wanting to spend to redo all the houses to accommodate safety standards for covid. I'm kind of surprised they're still keeping the park open. Of course, with their company hdq., for all intents and purposes, in Pittsburgh now, they might want to see how things go.

Probably cost cutting economics...... I loved the Paratrooper in my teen years. The only one not missed will be Volcano/Enterprise. Over the years, it was broken down more often than it worked....and The Kangaroo ride is the ride portion of the park mascot (Kenny the Kangaroo). Cruel world.

The comments from the park's spokesperson, on these ride 'retirements' and ride 'retirements' at Idlewild park , basically say they are reactions to the economic issues that covid has caused across the entire amusement
park industry. Secondary issue is acquiring parts for these aging rides.

Probably cost cutting economics...... I loved the Paratrooper in my teen years. The only one not missed will be Volcano/Enterprise. Over the years, it was broken down more often than it worked....and The Kangaroo ride is the ride portion of the park mascot (Kenny the Kangaroo). Cruel world.
I am surprised they are getting rid of The Kangaroo. That is really one of the rides that define Kennywood.

Agreed. Volcano (an off brand Entrprise type ride, if I recall) and Paratrooper rides that can be found in plenty of other places. But Bayern Kurves are very rare in the US (CGA being the only other one, and it is run in a very, very tame mode compared to Kennywood, who actually made the ride thrilling), and the horn is a classic. I got my last ride on it back when Steel Force opened, and it was a blast.

But the Kangaroo... that's a one of a kind, signature ride. Heck, it's the name of the park mascot. It'd be worth it to them to keep that one and put the money into it. That one really hurts.

Just received a survey from Kennywood. Looks like they are exploring the idea of adding additional festivals in the summer and fall. The 'potential' concepts they surveyed were;
*International Food, wine & beer Festival
*Roaring 20's ride, food and beverage Festival
*Steeler Tailgate parties/festivals
*Concert Festival

Good to hear. Will they require people to show that they were vaccinated or just the honor system?

Mad Dog is correct - honor system in effect. No one is asking for any proof. Large signs at the entrances to the park explain the policy and clarify that fully vaccinated means two weeks post final shot.

Mad Dog is correct - honor system in effect. No one is asking for any proof. Large signs at the entrances to the park explain the policy and clarify that fully vaccinated means two weeks post final shot.

That's what I figured would happen. I did not want to have to carry my vaccination card with me whenever I go somewhere because I would probably lose it in about an hour's time.

That's what I figured would happen. I did not want to have to carry my vaccination card with me whenever I go somewhere because I would probably lose it in about an hour's time.
I made photo copies of Alene's and my cards and have the copies in the glove compartment of all our vehicles....just in case....The original stays home, safe, in a file cabinet.

Soooo. today Kennywood/Sandcastle/Idlewild parks announced that they would go cashless starting next week. Refreshment/Food/Merch etc. will only accept debit or credit cards....or a card purchased with cash .
The cards will be available for purchase with cash at 5 kiosks throughout the park. Mgt. says this will make their transactions quicker and lessen the lines for food etc.. The media played it up as a new historic high tech thing.....
Then I started thinking. This isn't new. It's actually a return to the old ways of park operation. When I was a kid, you had to take your money to a ticket kiosk, and purchase tickets for rides, refreshments, food, merchandise and games.
You never paid with cash, only a ticket or tickets. The old becomes the new. Sometimes the old way is quicker I guess. :grin: :doh:

Soooo. today Kennywood/Sandcastle/Idlewild parks announced that they would go cashless starting next week. Refreshment/Food/Merch etc. will only accept debit or credit cards....or a card purchased with cash .
The cards will be available for purchase with cash at 5 kiosks throughout the park. Mgt. says this will make their transactions quicker and lessen the lines for food etc.. The media played it up as a new historic high tech thing.....
Then I started thinking. This isn't new. It's actually a return to the old ways of park operation. When I was a kid, you had to take your money to a ticket kiosk, and purchase tickets for rides, refreshments, food, merchandise and games.
You never paid with cash, only a ticket or tickets. The old becomes the new. Sometimes the old way is quicker I guess. :grin: :doh:
Magicbands, NFC its all designed to get your money faster.
With tickets you ended up with a few to take home right? Like stamp collectors it's money in the bank for the issuer.

Same for the cards, there is some amount of "leakage" when the purchase amount won't exactly line up with the card and cash is not allowed to fill in the difference. You might get it back on your way out at guest relations but who wants to wait in that line for a few bucks.
Bob might work there...