Knott's Berry Farm | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Berry Farm

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Haha I never thought I'd be defending this ride. This is what happens when you have such a bad day. The dumb, cheesy shooter attraction will make you way happier thanks to air-conditioning and the distinct lack of irritating kids, it's nice to just shoot poop.

Don't get me wrong, the attraction is still unbelivably dopey. My favorite part is the last line of the ride: "I get to fish in my favorite spot again!" I'm not sure if Triotech was being ironic there (I doubt it) but I love that this whole thing was just to let this faceless fisherman who has access to some insane submarine be able to fish in his "favorite spot" again. Some real stakes there!  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chris.g
I guess it's a difference of opinion. You like that it's more themed. I like that I have more fun on toy story. Also I'm not sure how long the wait gets when it's a slow day. I went when it was pretty crowded, but when I went I waited over 80 mins to get on.

Side note, I hadn't been to knots in years before I last went during my spring break, and I was shocked to see that there are no wait times posted anywhere in the park, it's 2016, realize people want to know how long there gonna wait before they get in line, if it wasn't for the app I would have been clueless. Even though the app doesn't give accurate wait times, it said something under an hour for voyage and like I said, I waited over 80 mins for it, thanks knotts 

I like Iron Reef better than Toy Story primarily because the game play is much more continuous.  It's just a series of unconnected vignettes on TS:MM, with lots of dead time between play.  Plus, I like that you can identify your own shooter based on color.

That said, is it perfect?  Certainly not.  I never understood why we're staring at an engine (or whatever it is) for a long time at the beginning.  The load time is pretty slow.  And I really don't know why it doesn't have a single rider line.  It could really use one, and it'd seem pretty easy to use the side staircase at the far left for it.

Though I am very much with you on the wait times.  It's basically the only major park in the area without an app or site to display wait times.

Reactions: Ryan
Lets keep in mind, Iron Reef was built on literally a fraction of TSMM's budget. I personally would have liked more scenic, especially during the beginning of the ride. With that said, I rode Ninjago a few weeks back and have to say I prefer that over Iron Reef, it's much more compact which makes the screens seem more seamless and uses projection mapping on physical sets which is an awesome effect.

Reactions: Wesker69
The current gossip on Screamscape says that Boomerang will be the next ride to be removed (Finally!!!). If this happens what would do you think (Or would like to see) replace that? Boomerang and the former Riptide space makes for a descent plot of land.

I really hope that they will use that space to build a practical dark ride by Garner to make up for the Iron Reef letdown. If Six Flags can build a new building for a dark ride, Knott's should. Realistically though, I see another coaster occupying that space. It would be a real shame to have some prime land open for a descent dark ride only to have another steel monster occupy it. 

I'm gonna be really, really, really, REALLY disappointed in Knott's if they use that space for another family coaster. If they opt for a coaster over a dark ride, at least make it thrilling. 

I would love to see a new time travel-style dark ride. With a budget, they can have a handful of dino AAs and descent sets.  It'd be easy to market and it would be a hit. 

EDIT TO ADD: You know, if they REALLY wanted to be creative with the space, the dark ride wouldn't need to be so big. They can have one and put a family-ish coaster that goes around the Boardwalk. Something compact, flexible around the area, and something family friendly-ish and slightly thrilling. Intamin Megalite, anyone?

I have zero faith that Cedar Fair can make a good dark ride, so I want something from them that I know they are good at, roller coasters.

I want to see Knotts finally get that B&M Hyper/Giga coaster.   12 years and counting since Knotts installed Silver Bullet- their last major coaster.   They are waaaaay overdue.

I haven't been a Season Pass holder to Knotts in 3+ years and only have visited the park once in that time span.  A big coaster would get me back to the park.  

I have zero faith that Cedar Fair can make a good dark ride, so I want something from them that I know they are good at, roller coasters.

I want to see Knotts finally get that B&M Hyper/Giga coaster.   12 years and counting since Knotts installed Silver Bullet- their last major coaster.   They are waaaaay overdue.

I haven't been a Season Pass holder to Knotts in 3+ years and only have visited the park once in that time span.  A big coaster would get me back to the park.  

I agree the park could use another major coaster. I think Cedar Fair should be given another chance at a dark ride. They did a good job on the Log Ride and Mine ride redid. Triotech is just not good at dark rides. Garner Holt is far better at such.

I'd rather want to see a Chance Morgan Hyper GTX for Knotts, as it would fit to me more for the area that is the Boardwalk. You can also have it compact, and it wouldn't need that much space.

The old Pirate dark ride at Cedar Point. It scared the crap out of me as a kid. lol... it was cheesy & classic.

It would be a real shame to have some prime land open for a descent dark ride only to have another steel monster occupy it.
I'm gonna be really, really, really, REALLY disappointed in Knott's if they use that space for another family coaster. If they opt for a coaster over a dark ride, at least make it thrilling.

Why couldn't another steel monster be heavily themed? Or even a heavily themed family coaster... But yes, a dark ride would be ideal.

The park is done with dark rides. Iron Reef is reprogrammable and Ouimet wants Triotech to focus on their other parks. (he hinted that either Kings Island or Kings Dominion will get one in 2017)

Garner Holt did pleasing of existing attractions. Cedar Fair doesn't have the cash to install a giant show building for a dark ride which they already have. Whatever they have planned I can't figure out but I hope it's a new coaster, a thrilling one. They're way overdue for one but with Boomerang and Riptide being the only losses I'm finding myself unsure of what this could be that's compact but not another damn family coaster. (seriously Knott's, half of your coaster lineup is enough) For the life of me I can't think of a compact thrill coaster that I would actually want to see built (please no Tempesto-esque ride, that's a borderline low-capacity flat)... and a B&M giga, the long rumored attraction seems hard to do without it just making Knott's seem even messier. But on the other hand they badly need that type of attraction. I guess an out-and-back Mako style could work if they were to intrude slightly on the western parking lot.

Very curious to see what Knott's does moving forward.

Reactions: Alexshow.
The park is done with dark rides. Iron Reef is reprogrammable and Ouimet wants Triotech to focus on their other parks. (he hinted that either Kings Island or Kings Dominion will get one in 2017)

Garner Holt did pleasing of existing attractions. Cedar Fair doesn't have the cash to install a giant show building for a dark ride which they already have. Whatever they have planned I can't figure out but I hope it's a new coaster, a thrilling one. They're way overdue for one but with Boomerang and Riptide being the only losses I'm finding myself unsure of what this could be that's compact but not another damn family coaster. (seriously Knott's, half of your coaster lineup is enough) For the life of me I can't think of a compact thrill coaster that I would actually want to see built (please no Tempesto-esque ride, that's a borderline low-capacity flat)... and a B&M giga, the long rumored attraction seems hard to do without it just making Knott's seem even messier. But on the other hand they badly need that type of attraction. I guess an out-and-back Mako style could work if they were to intrude slightly on the western parking lot.

Very curious to see what Knott's does moving forward.

As stated,

A Chance Morgan GTX would work great for that area of the park. You can have it compact, but keeping a good amount of airtime and thrill that one would expect for a hyper coaster in a sense.

Like Lightning Run? Those are classified as family coasters. They need to do a big coaster, SoCal is due and SFMM is delivering a dark ride.

A little Chance coaster is not going to grab people. It works for Kentucky Kingdom, not Knott's.

I could see an Intamin Blitz similar to CP's Maverick working in the Boomerang/Boardwalk location. It's compact, it's not too intrusive on the skyline, and it would be aggressive and thrilling enough for the GP. If they put a launch area in there like Maverick, I realize that would make it the park's fourth launch coaster, but it's better than a family coaster. 

Now I know coaster fans in SoCal have been wanting a Giga for the longest time. The best way to make that work would be to build the station next to Ghost Rider and have the coaster go over the parking lot and through backstage. I'm not sure what feasibility would be like like doing that, but if there's a will, there's a way. Knott's, CGA, and Dorney are the few CF parks left that don't have Gigas. Despite what Raffi thinks, I would imagine CF will demand otherwise. 

Supposedly the rumor is a Gerstlauer Eurofighter in the place of where Boomerang currently stands and where RipTIde once stood. Take it with a grain of salt though.

Supposedly the rumor is a Gerstlauer Eurofighter in the place of where Boomerang currently stands and where RipTIde once stood. Take it with a grain of salt though.

That makes some sense. Was it rumored that the layout would be something generic of an Eurofighter or would it include some possible elements like the Banana Roll?

Eh....makes sense considering the space. Not sure how I feel about that. I'm sure it'll be fun. 

In other news, the attendance records for 2015 have come out. Knotts was the most-visited Cedar Fair park last year. Looks like the park is doing something right. 

I've been watching a thread on another site about the Eurofighter that's coming to Adventureland (The Monster) in Iowa, and it looks pretty amazing!  I'll be lucky enough to be out there in July, so I'll give a report later!  It could be a good fit for that area, and it would be unique to SoCal!