Knott's Berry Farm | Page 79 | Inside Universal Forums

Knott's Berry Farm

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The OC Register is reporting that the Wall Street Journal is reporting a potential merger between Cedar Fair (parent of Knotts Berry Farm) and Six Flags (link below).
Any thoughts on what this could be mean for Six Flags and Knotts?
I'm guessing this could be beneficial for the parks and consumers.
Knott’s Berry Farm owner and Six Flags exploring potential merger, reports say

In my opinion, this would basically ruin all Cedar Fair parks. Operations and new rides would go in the toilet. Six Flags would try to implement their procedures onto CF parks and it would go to crap. For anyone who has been to both, Cedar Fair parks are far cleaner and pleasant than the Six Flag parks.

Reactions: Freak
In my opinion, this would basically ruin all Cedar Fair parks. Operations and new rides would go in the toilet. Six Flags would try to implement their procedures onto CF parks and it would go to crap. For anyone who has been to both, Cedar Fair parks are far cleaner and pleasant than the Six Flag parks.
I just posted about this in the Cedar Fair thread, but I think rather than Six Flags ruining the CF parks, it would be CF fixing the Six Flags parks. Cedar Fair seems to have the upper hand with a competent management team where Six Flags management is muddled or non existent. This is a merger that is more of an acquisition of Six Flags by Cedar Fair. Both benefit financially from the implementation of the Cedar Fair model.

The biggest loss would be the DC theme elements to generic like they did with the Paramount parks, but who knows? They may keep it...

This is a win for park fans who could then just buy a single pass for more parks coast to coast.

I just posted about this in the Cedar Fair thread, but I think rather than Six Flags ruining the CF parks, it would be CF fixing the Six Flags parks. Cedar Fair seems to have the upper hand with a competent management team where Six Flags management is muddled or non existent. This is a merger that is more of an acquisition of Six Flags by Cedar Fair. Both benefit financially from the implementation of the Cedar Fair model.

The biggest loss would be the DC theme elements to generic like they did with the Paramount parks, but who knows? They may keep it...

This is a win for park fans who could then just buy a single pass for more parks coast to coast.

I sincerely hope that you are right. I have been so much happier with Kings Island since Cedar Fair purchased the Paramount parks and would not like to lose the gains. The park became cleaner and had much better rides added and I don't want KI to become like Six Flags World of Adventure which was trashy.

Obviously, it is going to take a while for this to all take effect. Cedar Fair being the majority owner (51.2% VS 48.8%) gives me some hope that it all isn't doom and gloom for Knott's. I think it has taken Cedar Fair a long time to realize Knott's place in their lineup is much different than their other parks and I hope that this decision doesn't impact the park too much. I guess only time will tell.

Was at Knotts today, and guess what!? Xcelerator was testing all day with lots of people in the station looking very excited taking phone videos and pics. Def reopening for Merry Farm

And again LOL for the 15th time in this thread about Knotts being poorly run or running worse. Not true at all.

They had more shows than in yearssss for scary farm including that amazing 45min show in the Walter Knott theater. Yes two coasters are down but besides that its been non stop improvements all the way around for years now. You guys crack me up.

had to live through the first 12 years of cedar fair where all they did was destroy charm, add asphalt trash cans and coasters. Now they actaully care about EVERYTHING else and all everyone is mad about is two coasters that they are clearly trying on. Knotts is about to reopen a coaster thats been SBNO for almost 2 years. You cant tell me they don't care. They could have scarped it

Honestly as a Passholder every year since like 2004, besides the down coasters, the park is in best shape its been in. Just took a friend from Ohio today, he loved the park way more than Six Flags which he went to the other day. Was amazed by how nice it was and well kept it looked. All he talked about

Last edited:
I mean, this is a huge “besides.”

Its really not at all.

Two coasters are down. Yes we all know, but you guys all say "The Park is slipping" 'the park is going down hill"

Yet NO one has said anything but Boo Hoo the two coasters. The PARK IS NOT in worse shape. No one in this thread has ever disagreed.

In the last 10 years.

Fiesta Village updates.

- 5 flat rides got new themeing
- Jaguar improviemets
-Shopping improvements
- Bathroom improvements
- New restaurant
-New show

-Camp Snoopy is about to get a major upgrade and new coaster

- Boardwalk pizza was torn down and rebuild legit super Hugh quality DCA level theming basically

- Knotts Berry Tales (CMON)
-and all the themeing that came with that in the area
- New bathrooms
- Upgraded Theater

- Bigfoot rapids to Calico River Rapids major upgrade
- Pony express repaint to better fit theme
- New pony express themeing/facades behind the train

- HangTIME replacing boomerang
-Boardwalk BBQ

- Ghostrider redo!!!!!

- Perilous Plunge redo to the area was 10 years ago
- Redo of the Log Ride and Mine Ride too

Also WAY better merchandise all around the park and the park is much cleaner

adding the Boysenberry festival? Peanutss Celebration? Ghost town alive? Summer Nights?

Not to mention this part that you say is getting worse, they actually care enough to try and spent the money to make better... Repaint Xcel before it broke, they care enough to fix it. And Monte is was old and taking awhile but they plan on making it better!?

Soak city expansion, Hotel redo

And trust me I can keep going and going on and on and on, so many other little things and themeing added all over...

So please again Id love to know how besides two coasters not operating Knotts is somehow in worse shape?!? You guys keep saying it but legit cant give any reasons why but a ride is closed.

I have never gotten stronger vibes than post covid that the people who run Knotts actually care. And trust me I lean into them hard on the coasters in the surveys I get too.

Last edited:
I personally am in the northeast but would prob hold a pass every year given the merger at even a higher price given only needing one pass. Holding both passes is something i have not really ever done in a single year. I think the chain should actually cut smaller parks in middle america in favor of investing in the major markets and raising prices to go with it where people are closer to potentially making an extra trip to a slightly further park.

Also I talked to a guy who used to run a lot of sound design for knotts for over a decade before covid. They cut a lot of talented people or they left. Maybe with the last scary farm that changed. He at least was optimistic about it when we talked before I went.

Was at Knotts today, and guess what!? Xcelerator was testing all day with lots of people in the station looking very excited taking phone videos and pics. Def reopening for Merry Farm

And again LOL for the 15th time in this thread about Knotts being poorly run or running worse. Not true at all.

They had more shows than in yearssss for scary farm including that amazing 45min show in the Walter Knott theater. Yes two coasters are down but besides that its been non stop improvements all the way around for years now. You guys crack me up.

had to live through the first 12 years of cedar fair where all they did was destroy charm, add asphalt trash cans and coasters. Now they actaully care about EVERYTHING else and all everyone is mad about is two coasters that they are clearly trying on. Knotts is about to reopen a coaster thats been SBNO for almost 2 years. You cant tell me they don't care. They could have scarped it

Honestly as a Passholder every year since like 2004, besides the down coasters, the park is in best shape its been in. Just took a friend from Ohio today, he loved the park way more than Six Flags which he went to the other day. Was amazed by how nice it was and well kept it looked. All he talked about
I think Knott's is in pretty great shape now as a park. It looks great and they are finally leaning into their history and legacy. Their operations need help, though.

A few of the coasters being down doesn't really bother me so much. That was one of the things I felt Cedar Fair made some wrong calls on early on in their ownership. I don't love the new rumors surrounding Montezooma's Revenge, but for now they are just that - rumors.

I agree there have been a lot of great improvements (especially with upgraded bathrooms and food locations). And the KSF Legacy store was impressive. There's a lot they're getting right.

That said, it's more than just two coasters down. Xcelerator has been down for years, and outlook for Monte is grim... but we are also still missing Mystery Lodge (zero updates there, and it's been countless years), and Sky Cabin and La Revolucion are still down without much of a peep. And don't get me started on the George Washington fireplace and rock garden that have been closed since Covid (and it appears the rock garden and plants have all been completely removed).

I'm surprised Mystery Lodge still hasn't gotten any love after all this time too. And removing the rock garden completely seems a bit much, that was always a nice area to relax in. It's too bad to see parts of the park's history and legacy fading away like that.

Do you think these prolonged closures are more staffing/budget issues, or are they related to bigger refurbishment plans potentially in the works? I'd be curious if maintenance has been an ongoing struggle under the new ownership. Hopefully, we see some positive moves on revitalizing some of these areas sooner rather than later!

Reactions: joerodriguez
I also rode sky cabin today so it’s fine. Pony express was down today too but the whole queue and exit shop was getting painted to look brand new! Again the park cares

Last edited:
Its really not at all.

Two coasters are down. Yes we all know, but you guys all say "The Park is slipping" 'the park is going down hill"

Yet NO one has said anything but Boo Hoo the two coasters. The PARK IS NOT in worse shape. No one in this thread has ever disagreed.
two months ago they had four of their seven roller coasters down. two of those coasters have now been closed for more than a year. you're free to disagree, but I think it's pretty important to have rides open at an amusement park.

two months ago they had four of their seven roller coasters down. two of those coasters have now been closed for more than a year. you're free to disagree, but I think it's pretty important to have rides open at an amusement park.

Yeah, as nice as they are, the occasional cosmetic improvements and improved food offerings don't do much for me if the headlining attractions can't stay open.

You just confirmed everything. You still can’t name anything else, other than the coasters. You’ve had pages and pages and haven’t said any other thoughts.

A park that is dying does not move forward with 2024 announcements, increase spending in there Halloween event, spend the money to reopen a close coaster. Monte, you guys are treating like it’s “down” it’s a delayed reopening redo of a ride that ran its full life cycle and more. We don’t know the fate yet.

You guys can’t see the humor in saying a theme park just redid a whole land last year and is NEXT year redoing most of another a dying park!??

A park that is falling apart does not spend money on 2024 new rides/theming. Constantly increasing food quality, Or care reopen Xcelerator after so long, and would 100% cancel monte and the Halloween event would be smaller in size. The park is working on getting them. A trending down park does not stick with it. There is no arguing.

If xcel and Monte opened it would be in the best shape ever right? So there’s a good chance we’re on pace for summer 2024 that might have a new camp snoopy coaster a running Xcelerator and a new Monte or a new Monte/ride in 2025 instead.

Again you didn’t say issue or problems you guys say the PARK is obviously tending downward and doing worse . And yes all year you guys keep the same thing one thing.

Lol remember early in the year when all you guys were screaming Knotts entertainment is dead and boysenberry fest is gonna be smaller. And scary farm is probably not gonna be as good ether. It wasn’t the case just like I said then it wasn’t.

Parks that have bad management or are sipping get dirtyer, details slip, etc. those haven’t happened.

Again a park that rethemed a whole land last year and next year too is getting worse and worse? Kinda funny

They also had 10 coasters two months ago, where’s the 7 coming from? You’re saying in the summer they had 3 coasters in the whole park running. I’m gonna say that’s hyperbole. Been to the park like 300 times never seen that happen once. I also went a hand full of times in summer too. Counting Xcelerator , mont, timberline (for 10) that would mean only 3 of 10 running.

Last edited:
You just confirmed everything. You still can’t name anything else. No one here can. Others than the coasters. You’ve had pages and pages and haven’t said any other thoughts.

A park that is dying does not move forward with 2024 announcements, increase spending in there Halloween event, spend the money to reopen a close coaster. Monte, you guys are treating like it’s “down” it’s a delayed reopening redo still. We don’t know the fate yet.
I think it's a bit hyperbole to claim anyone here is saying that the park is "dying". As much as I appreciate the recent additions, that doesn't make the park or its operations immune from criticism. I took a trip to the park back in March, and while I still had a great time, the 2 coasters being down, as well as multiple other unscheduled ride closures that day left a bit of a damper on the experience.

While I enjoy Knott's the most for its theming, it's undeniable that a lot of visitors come for the coasters specifically. It's understandable that delays can occur, but more transparency from Knott's would go a long way.