Lightyear (Pixar) | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Lightyear (Pixar)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I heard this yesterday, and it really made sense (and sorry if it was mentioned before)--

Disney+ is the reason why Lightyear hasn't done well. Everyone knows it will be on Disney+ in about a month, so why spend the money to see it in a theater since so many people who are the target audience have Disney+?

Minions on the other hand is in theaters, and no one feels like they know it will be out on a streaming service or which one. It could show up in a month or it could be Christmas before it's out on a streamer.

Disney+'s success is killing the box office of their new releases.

I heard this yesterday, and it really made sense (and sorry if it was mentioned before)--

Disney+ is the reason why Lightyear hasn't done well. Everyone knows it will be on Disney+ in about a month, so why spend the money to see it in a theater since so many people who are the target audience have Disney+?

Minions on the other hand is in theaters, and no one feels like they know it will be out on a streaming service or which one. It could show up in a month or it could be Christmas before it's out on a streamer.

Disney+'s success is killing the box office of their new releases.
They need to stop putting films on D+ so predictably quick after release (45 days). Lightyear should be on D+ around August 5th by my calculations.

I have to say, this has been part of why I skip all Disney movies outside of MCU because I know that they’ll be on D+ quick enough or on Hulu (for Fox).

Last edited:
I ended up catching this at a drive-in last night paired with Thor. So I might as well give my thoughts before everyone watches it on Disney+ next week.

This...is not a good movie.

While there were certainly some interesting sequences there, the plot was just boring and confusing. For some reason, I just couldn't connect with the characters nor care about why they were doing what they did. And I tried giving Evans the benefit of the doubt, but he reminded me more of Patrick Warburton than Tim Allen.

And that Zurg twist? My god! I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at that.

Haven't watched this yet (probably will this weekend if not sooner), but I just looked and now that Lightyear is on Disney+, it's officially the first non-Marvel film to be added to the platform with the IMAX Enhanced option. I'm sure this will be the standard for all theatrical releases going forward with tentpole films.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Soooo.... I said in the above post I was probably gonna watch Lightyear way back at the beginning of August (I believe Prey came out that weekend so this definitely wasn't top of mind at the time). Turns out I cared so little about this movie that I didn't start watching the movie until last night... and I fell asleep half way through it. I put it back on this morning to finish it and I paused the movie no less than 5 times before I finally got through it.

This movie is just an absolute snoozefest and a slog to get through. I understand the Toy Story franchise is popular, but it's popular because of the collective of characters and their chemistry together. I thought Chris Evans was fine as Buzz Lightyear, but the movie was just bad. There's really no getting around that. And to think this movie actually set up an a potential sequel to it at the end!

I have actively avoided the Cars franchise, so I can't comment on how good/bad those movies are, but I will say that I think I actually enjoyed The Good Dinosaur more than this movie and that's a movie that was my least favorite Pixar movie coming into to this.

Reactions: belloq87