Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lightyear (Pixar)

i will be honest, when i saw the trailers, Chris Evans just did not do it for me......i understand Tim Allen has his controversies, but Chris Evans was just not good.
then i read all the twists and spoilers, and this just sounded dull, i havent watch it, but it didnt sound like a fun movie.
Chris Evans never does it for me, he's unbelievably flat in everything he does

It was a big mistake to not cast Tim Allen, but, I believe we'll see more of him in the future

It's funny you think he's had "controversies" though and it's continuously funny to me that people think Disney doesn't want him

Chris Evans never does it for me, he's unbelievably flat in everything he does

It was a big mistake to not cast Tim Allen, but, I believe we'll see more of him in the future

It's funny you think he's had "controversies" though and it's continuously funny to me that people think Disney doesn't want him
Yeah obviously Disney has no qualms about Allen considering the Santa Clause series is still coming to Disney+

Just got out of the theater for this. There's more interesting stuff here than I think people give credit for - I liked the reveal and was pleasantly surprised by the general Star Trek-esque, Soft-Hard Sci-Fi vibe, rather than the total Star Wars riff the toy from Toy Story seemed to be - but overall the interesting parts are like, visual ideas or plot points. The totality of the film is pretty slight and the side characters, outside of the legitimately awesome robot cat, were weirdly grating.

A big problem is that the movie assumes we're just invested in Buzz Lightyear off the bat. We're not. He's a parody of an action hero, you can't just take away the toy existential crisis element that made him interesting and expect us to buy in. Buzz in this movie is just a factory standard boring square-jawed hero with a heart of gold, and the side characters aren't interesting enough to pull the slack of interesting characterization.

Lightyear was just a big failure and I think you really have to look no further than the marketing of both movies. Lightyear never grabbed my attention or the attention of anyone I know. I personally have no interest in Minions, but for some reason my sister can’t stop talking about Minions and she hasn’t even seen the first. I believe Minions has done a targeted Tik Tok campaign, which may be playing a role.

I think we also just have to address the fact that Lightyear didn’t look “fun” and it didn’t have four quadrant appeal - it appealed mostly to young boys and the numbers of people who went bear this out. There was very little in the way for young girls to get excited for with the movie.

Lightyear was just a big failure and I think you really have to look no further than the marketing of both movies. Lightyear never grabbed my attention or the attention of anyone I know. I personally have no interest in Minions, but for some reason my sister can’t stop talking about Minions and she hasn’t even seen the first. I believe Minions has done a targeted Tik Tok campaign, which may be playing a role.

I think we also just have to address the fact that Lightyear didn’t look “fun” and it didn’t have four quadrant appeal - it appealed mostly to young boys and the numbers of people who went bear this out. There was very little in the way for young girls to get excited for with the movie.

No negative controversy (Despite there are a lot of homo/drag gags in the DM and minions), minions have been memes for months. Plus the cross promotion for the film has hit every single demographic...

The issues with Lightyear is despite what everyone says internationally the LGBTQ stuff with a june release date really got the homophobes full force. June is always the worst in bringing controversy causing it to get banned in 14% of the world and even theatres in other countries had raised the rating to an adult (In indonesia it was rated M16) rating making it impossible for the main demographic (children) to get the see the film.

Second point is space....thematically I think space concepts are hitting the point of boredom especially without a unique take.

I really don’t think homophobia had any real impact on the movie outside the noted bans in select countries. Dr. Strange also faced bans and had no trouble collecting nearly a billion dollars worldwide.
Dr Strange is the MCU

MCU doesn't normally follow the same rules as other films in terms of money

Also it was in no way a family film

No negative controversy (Despite there are a lot of homo/drag gags in the DM and minions), minions have been memes for months. Plus the cross promotion for the film has hit every single demographic...

The issues with Lightyear is despite what everyone says internationally the LGBTQ stuff with a june release date really got the homophobes full force. June is always the worst in bringing controversy causing it to get banned in 14% of the world and even theatres in other countries had raised the rating to an adult (In indonesia it was rated M16) rating making it impossible for the main demographic (children) to get the see the film.

Second point is space....thematically I think space concepts are hitting the point of boredom especially without a unique take.

Per Disney, Lightyear performed similarly to Sonic 2 in Red States (it actually mainly underperformed in Canada and among northeastern left-leaning states). Disney+ churn ticked up *a bit* for like a month in the aftermath of the Florida debacle but promptly went right back down the very next month. I really don't think right wing culture warriors have the economic power people ascribe to them.

A much more likely explanation is just that no one cared about Buzz Lightyear outside of Toy Story. And, as you note, Universal is a savvy marketer for these kinds of things, whereas Lightyear could barely get its pitch to audiences straight until a month out from release.

Last edited:
Dr Strange is the MCU

MCU doesn't normally follow the same rules as other films in terms of money

Also it was in no way a family film
And Lightyear is Pixar. Pixar normally has no problem collecting at least $200M domestic at the box office and both modern Toy Story movies have been billion dollar films and brought in over $400M domestic.

I guess you take the money how you can get it, but this could've happened to Morbius had that meme'd at the right time. They are there purely to make fun of the movie.

It was inspired by the Yeat-lemonade lyrics trailer they released called Rich Minion which was sponsored by Illumination.

That is where Pixar is lacking where Illumination/Dreamworks and even Disney Animation is succeeding. They using music to promote the films.

It was inspired by the Yeat-lemonade lyrics trailer they released called Rich Minion which was sponsored by Illumination.

That is where Pixar is lacking where Illumination/Dreamworks and even Disney Animation is succeeding. They using music to promote the films.
Pixar and Illumination are two totally different types of animation studios. Pixar is never going to do things the way that Illumination does them because they are just different and call for different things.

Why are we trying to come up with reasons for Minions success when it was expected to succeed just like Lightyear was? Lightyear simply failed to launch and it's a lot because it had nothing to do with the other Toy Story movies and it didn't look that compelling. It doesn't help that it was a mediocre film and word of mouth was not great after it was released.

I really don’t think homophobia had any real impact on the movie outside the noted bans in select countries. Dr. Strange also faced bans and had no trouble collecting nearly a billion dollars worldwide.
If anything it was met with a collective eye roll and then everyone went to see Jurassic World, cause dinosaurs