Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lower Lot Redesign

I'd say--reimagining, as opposed to Redesign.

Let's assume that they are moving forward with the Evolution Plan..I'd have to wonder--especially now--what pulled the trigger.
I don't think any particular recent event or change triggered this. These projects are incredibly long term. It was nearly two and a half years between the time the Gibson Amphitheater closed and the Wizarding World opened. To put that into perspective, something New and Big, ready to open for Summer 2023, would need to start constrcution pretty much right now.

Their MO of the last few years has been a few small announcements followed by one big one . Transformers (2012), DMMM (2014), F&F Supercharged (2015), WWoHP (2016), Dreamworks Theatre (2018), JW (2019), SLoP (2020[oops]), SNW (2021[Hopefully]). Following this pattern, the next major introduction to the park would likely be in '24 or '25 so they have enough time to squeeze in another one ahead of the '28 Olympics (Which is kind of wild, if you think about it. The time between TF opening and today is almost the same amount of time as Today to the Olympics). They have to keep moving on the projects because they assume that the tourism industry and the economy in general will recover enough by the time they actually open. I guess they figure that any minor, COVID related delays now could be made up for later, or that it won't really impact their long-term plans of 8-10 years from now.

I'm calling it now - Mummy will be replaced by an even bigger Starbucks - opening 2024 ;)

There does appear to be another Evolution plan in play, if it wasn't for Covid we might have already seen some loose plans - by which I mean vague information on a map about theme park expansion. The first Evolution plan clearly has worked as attendence has gone up massively, Covid is hopefully just a blip and by 2022 things will be fully back to normal.

They are working long term here - which is actually really pleasing as so many organisations now seem to only focus on short term.

With the recent shelving of Toothsome in CityWalk, it looks like many budgets are disappearing before our eyes. I would doubt we will see any MAJOR LL redesigns until a few years after SNW is open.

With the recent shelving of Toothsome in CityWalk, it looks like many budgets are disappearing before our eyes. I would doubt we will see any MAJOR LL redesigns until a few years after SNW is open.

..Funny enough--it doesn't seem like Toothsome is shelved.

They pushed back the walls to the building itself--but they're still strongly showing promotional signs of the dining still a go. Could be possible they're focusing on NBC Grill Brew right now--and then starting to work. Could also be possible that Toothsome is smaller than we thought.

Based on what I saw, the NBC Sports Grill doesn't exactly have a lot of outdoor seating. Probably less than Antojitos does now.

On a side note, I know some were wondering if, with Howl at the Moon above that site also closed, if the two venues would somehow connect. But we looked at the old Howl at the Moon space, and there seem to be absolutely no changes, nor any sign of stairs inside the Sports Grill going to a second level.

As for Toothsome, with the walls down, it's pretty easy to see inside. The staircase, railings, and upper levels appear more or less in tact, but the entire ground floor has been compeltely torn up to the point the floor is dirt. A lot of construction equipment strewn about. No visible work happening inside, but we went on a Friday evening. Personally, I think it's just being delayed.

Whatever rides they put in the Lower Lot, I just hope they create a nicer atmosphere down there. The JW theming additions were a step in the right direction.
Agreed...said it before and will say it again if they can somehow fit the Donkey Kong Ride in next to Jurassic the area would really benefit from that.

As for Mummy....it feels like we are sooo long from seeing that really changed unless Something Nintendo goes there...but feels like we are at least 4+ years from the next ride considering its another year until Nintendoland opens

Last edited:
Agreed...said it before and will say it again if they can somehow fit the Kong Ride in next to Jurassic the area would really benefit from that.

As for Mummy....it feels like we are sooo long from seeing that really changed unless Something Nintendo goes there...but feels like we are at least 4+ years from the next ride considering its another year until Nintendoland opens
...the Kong ride is already a segment on the tram tour.

Whatever rides they put in the Lower Lot, I just hope they create a nicer atmosphere down there. The JW theming additions were a step in the right direction.

Honestly--I think if you replace Mummy with a JW Dark Ride, with tearing down the building; it'd leave the door open for the soundstages next to that and Transformers still for something down the line. Especially if the JW dark ride from Beijing is reworked to work with a new building size.

Think you need something dramatically different from Beijing when the ride across the street uses the same animatronics and has the same Indominus escapes plot line.

I'd argue something calming to take over Mummy, harkening back to ET albeit in a proper family dark ride.

Something that could take people around Isla Nublar, perhaps using the makeshift ride hybrid model of a dark ride and EMV-suspended attraction; where you come into contract with some of the aviating dinosaurs. A next generation, tracked version of the proposed IOA concept, if you will for Helicopter Tours, across the island.

Last edited:
I'd argue something calming to take over Mummy, harkening back to ET albeit in a proper family dark ride.

Something that could take people around Isla Nublar, perhaps using the makeshift ride hybrid model of a dark ride and EMV-suspended attraction; where you come into contract with some of the aviating dinosaurs. A next generation, tracked version of the proposed IOA concept, if you will for Helicopter Tours, across the island.
Sounds nice. I'm all for some more casual dark rides.

What do you mean Tomb Raider isn't a viable IP? Not like trying to act like a fan boy or something, I'm just curious.

Rise and Shadow of The Tomb Raider have had notably lower sales than it's 2013 counterpart. Additionally, the second time the film got adapted, failed to preform well domestically in Domestic territories (even if internationally, it was able to get 3 times over it's 91 million dollar production budget).

It's not a viable franchise, when you consider the sales that the games have had since the 2013 remake.

If USH execs wanted to do dumber, they'd do dumber.

Last edited: