Lower Lot Redesign | Page 54 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Never understood the "Mummy" needs to go thing...

I could ask every human being alive, do you know what a Mummy is? They would probably all say yes. Mummies in general are more timeless than any movie series.

Just like Jurassic Park is more than Jurassic Park, its a dinosaur ride. Replacing Mummy with anything thats not a sure fire A-list E-ticket and a "new" property to the park that sells loads of merch seems unnecessary, I see no reason to take it out.

Its also a Coaster and people love coasters and its not like the ride is really even tied to the movie directly at all. It works as a random mummy attacking you too. But it is a well loved movie actually that it seems every single year grows in terms of love and nostalgia. The movie and Frasier seem to trend once every 6 months for the last few years it seems.

How many movies have this much love and staying power for 21 years???? Not that many at all.

Edit: As a North Hollywood local and passholder for many years. You'd be surprised how much of USH is repeat locals.... And I dont think taking out Mummy and a Coaster to just put in more Jurassic World is something people would like or want. You're taking away something different to the average guests minds in terms of what the park offers and just doing more fo the same.

Plus this is So Cal... Disney, Knott's, Six Flags, Sea world.... You want to take out the ONLY adult coaster and put in another dark ride? I dont see that as a smart move for the location.

Also like to add Jurassic Park is my favorite movie and have 4 framed posters of it in my house so i''m not anti Jurassic hahah
It gets a 90+ min line in the summer and Christmas season

I also think it will go....it doesn't have to people like the ride. They could use unused area's first and then scrap this ride...since the park needs MORE rides. DCA at this point has twice the rides of Universal for gods shake.

I agree that it’d suck to lose a coaster, and that replacing it with a different JW ride, like the dark ride, is problematic because of a.) the story similarity to the River Adventure, and b.) Transformers right next door.

I could see an alternative, though: If Universal wants to make the landing a cohesive JW “land,” why not just make an indoor version of VelociCoaster? We don’t lose a coaster, it avoids story conflict with RA, and Hollywood could easily do whatever they want with it to make it unique to the park and our limitations (like, spitballing, a coaster system like Gringott’s, or going hard on indoor jungle/cave theming to replicate the nighttime ride with the raptors in Jurassic World).

Honestly just retheme Rip Ride Rockit to F&F and have Intamin come in and retrack it

Use the F&F showbuilding for a Knightbus ride

And then ju.....

Oh..this is a Hollywood thread

Reactions: JaySalahi
The last thing I'd want to go in Mummy's place would be Diagon Alley, and that's simply because I believe USH especially, should remain a diverse park. Something I loved about E.T., was how it was purposefully themed to a soundstage on the outside, because you were stepping onto the set of a movie directed by Spielberg. This is the approach that I feel USH should've taken when designing some of their future attractions, and I liked what they did with JP, saying it was their Hollywood park to fit around the theming at the time. This is why I also wouldn't want to see a full JW, hyper immersive section of the park come to USH, because it would kill Mummy, and through that kill additional attraction diversity lineup throughout the park. The best replacement for Mummy IMHO would be some sort of Universal Monsters attraction, which last I checked, was one of the proposals mentioned here on this forum, along with a JW gyrosphere dark ride. In conclusion, as much as I love JW and JP, I wouldn't want to see anything more come to the park aside from the River Adventure already being there. Like I said, I wish they'd take more of an approach that E.T. took way back in the day, and I worry that USH is slowly straying away from its roots, which is the last thing I want. It is a studio themed park, and it seems that competition with Disney has thrown them into a pattern of taking notes from Disney. Hyper immersive lands and attractions should remain at Disney. Universal should really harken back to the "ride the movies" days. It is what made them so unique in the first place... I hope whatever eventually replaces Mummy is different. I want them to give us something we never knew we wanted in the first place.

Reactions: Verdicoshna
Okay, if we're actually being serious about what should replace Mummy...

Replace Mummy with a better coaster. That is all I ask. I don't care if its indoor or outdoor, just make a better coaster.

Mummy (Hollywood) is such a so-so coaster and it feels stuck in the early 2000s (duh).

I don't want Jurassic to replace Mummy and neither Nintendo or Potter. I want to keep the Lower Lot filled with variety.

The last thing I'd want to go in Mummy's place would be Diagon Alley, and that's simply because I believe USH especially, should remain a diverse park. Something I loved about E.T., was how it was purposefully themed to a soundstage on the outside, because you were stepping onto the set of a movie directed by Spielberg. This is the approach that I feel USH should've taken when designing some of their future attractions, and I liked what they did with JP, saying it was their Hollywood park to fit around the theming at the time. This is why I also wouldn't want to see a full JW, hyper immersive section of the park come to USH, because it would kill Mummy, and through that kill additional attraction diversity lineup throughout the park. The best replacement for Mummy IMHO would be some sort of Universal Monsters attraction, which last I checked, was one of the proposals mentioned here on this forum, along with a JW gyrosphere dark ride. In conclusion, as much as I love JW and JP, I wouldn't want to see anything more come to the park aside from the River Adventure already being there. Like I said, I wish they'd take more of an approach that E.T. took way back in the day, and I worry that USH is slowly straying away from its roots, which is the last thing I want. It is a studio themed park, and it seems that competition with Disney has thrown them into a pattern of taking notes from Disney. Hyper immersive lands and attractions should remain at Disney. Universal should really harken back to the "ride the movies" days. It is what made them so unique in the first place... I hope whatever eventually replaces Mummy is different. I want them to give us something we never knew we wanted in the first place.
I really don't want a Universal Monsters attraction on the Lower Lot. Not yet at least. The whole Lower Lot just feels thrown together with no prior planning. Uni should make the whole area more cohesive.

I really don't want a Universal Monsters attraction on the Lower Lot. Not yet at least. The whole Lower Lot just feels thrown together with no prior planning. Uni should make the whole area more cohesive.

If they can do a mini Monsters land that you access via a portal I don't see it being an different to what we are getting with Nintendo so why wouldn't you?

Agreed on the cohesive, they need to do something similar to what they managed with the upper lot.

I just want a good coaster at USH period. I don't give a crap if it's indoor or outdoor. If something equivalent to USF's Mummy came to Hollywood I would be totally happy with that. Just because the park has restrictions doesn't mean they can't make anything more thrilling than Hippogriff.

I know the Mummy is a priority on USH's list of rides to axe, but it's a big hit with the GP. To axe it with no coaster to replace it would make so many people upset.

Here is a suggestion: Put a dark ride in the space like SLoP's old plans (Ideally themed to Ghostbusters). queue/shops/restaurants on the first floor, then the entire ride on the second. In the small open space that will be next to it, build a coaster next to it (Ideally JW themed). Have the coaster launch into a building built onto the accompanying hill.

So there you go. Kill two birds with one stone. Build a dark ride AND a coaster at the same time.

Why is everyone acting as if the only properties universal can make rides/attractions out of are Jurassic and F&F?

Its more about suitable IP's which are either 1) owned by Universal or 2) not owned by Disney/available for licensing eg Transformers/Potter/Nintendo

I'm still all about a version of Classics Monsters land that was due for EU.
The reality is that just by taking out Mummy (which I don't want) and demolishing the planned soundstages there is room for at least 2 decent new lands on the lower lot

If they ever get a coaster down there it's gonna have to be something like Taron. Both the Mummy plot and Taron are about 90,000 sq ft, and I suppose they could use some of the hill to their advantage. I'm not sure if that's the direction they'd like to go with the lower lot however.

Reactions: Freak
If they ever get a coaster down there it's gonna have to be something like Taron. Both the Mummy plot and Taron are about 90,000 sq ft, and I suppose they could use some of the hill to their advantage. I'm not sure if that's the direction they'd like to go with the lower lot however.
Ideally something along the caliber of Hagrid’s or Taron would be AMAZING. A Taton/Hagrid’s-ish coaster where Mummy is or the Tram loading plaza would be a huge win for USH. The park could also greatly be if it from a really good indoor coaster like USF’s Mummy

Reactions: Pacific
Honestly I'm kind of betting on if USH gets a proper coaster Post-Mummy, it'll be for Tram Plaza, and it'll use the adjacent hillside, soundproofing certain areas to be careful.

The Lower Lot needs a better sense of Cohesion. Hopefully in this decade, they finally address that issue, as opposed to having it be more of a mish-mash.

Reactions: chris.g and Freak
Okay, if we're actually being serious about what should replace Mummy...

Replace Mummy with a better coaster. That is all I ask. I don't care if its indoor or outdoor, just make a better coaster.

Mummy (Hollywood) is such a so-so coaster and it feels stuck in the early 2000s (duh).

I don't want Jurassic to replace Mummy and neither Nintendo or Potter. I want to keep the Lower Lot filled with variety.
Honest question....do you not consider another Nintendo IP as "Variety" to me if a Zelda ride went there that is ten times better than another Jurassic ride in terms of feeling very much different from both JW and Mario Kart

Maybe it’s just me, or an unpopular opinion, but I really hope Hollywood doesn’t continue expanding Nintendo beyond DK to the point they’d do something like drop Mummy for Zelda or whatnot. I’m okay with it for the other parks, since they’ve got the space and the expansions can be spread out across multiple parks, like in Orlando, but Hollywood is just such a unique beast in comparison to the other parks that I don’t want to see the lower lot just become dominated by Nintendo IPs.

After SNW (and DK, if it happens), I definitely wanna see the park keep its focus on actual movie IPs. It’s Hollywood, after all! We’re already limited enough in space as it is, and - to use that old chestnut - I wanna ride the movies, not see Nintendo overrepresented when there are so many other options for Universal to explore.

Reactions: Pacific
Maybe it’s just me, or an unpopular opinion, but I really hope Hollywood doesn’t continue expanding Nintendo beyond DK to the point they’d do something like drop Mummy for Zelda or whatnot. I’m okay with it for the other parks, since they’ve got the space and the expansions can be spread out across multiple parks, like in Orlando, but Hollywood is just such a unique beast in comparison to the other parks that I don’t want to see the lower lot just become dominated by Nintendo IPs.

After SNW (and DK, if it happens), I definitely wanna see the park keep its focus on actual movie IPs. It’s Hollywood, after all! We’re already limited enough in space as it is, and - to use that old chestnut - I wanna ride the movies, not see Nintendo overrepresented when there are so many other options for Universal to explore.
I rather have good IPs over crappy movies ones

FF and Pets are meh at best compared to the wonderful world building, art, music and characters of Zelda. If an attraction is good and from a strong idea thats what really matters for me. I rather not see more Jurassic because of space as well but Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, and even DK because of how unique the ride system is feel so different from one another I think it should not matter one company owns them all. But that's just me I grew up with these IP's and love them and rather see them then some crappy "kids" movie or some boring action movie ride.

I rather have good IPs over crappy movies ones

FF and Pets are meh at best compared to the wonderful world building, art, music and characters of Zelda. If an attraction is good and from a strong idea thats what really matters for me. I rather not see more Jurassic because of space as well but Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, and even DK because of how unique the ride system is feel so different from one another I think it should not matter one company owns them all. But that's just me I grew up with these IP's and love them and rather see them then some crappy "kids" movie or some boring action movie ride.

And your opinion is perfectly valid, so I’m not arguing with you. But “crappy kids movie” or “some boring action movie ride” aren’t the only two options. Give me a choice, for instance, between a Zelda ride and a Universal Monsters dark ride and I’ll choose the latter in a heartbeat, because - again, to me, as it’s just my personal preference - the monsters are more appealing as an IP and embody the spirit of what the park is/has meant to me for the last 30 years more than a video game IP does.

Again, I’m not saying you’re “wrong,” nor am I saying I’m “right,” so don’t take this all as me trying to argue anything as such. It all just boils down to personal preference - IE, mine being for more film IP representation - and like you said, as long as a ride is great, then that’s good for all of us, regardless of the IP.

And your opinion is perfectly valid, so I’m not arguing with you. But “crappy kids movie” or “some boring action movie ride” aren’t the only two options. Give me a choice, for instance, between a Zelda ride and a Universal Monsters dark ride and I’ll choose the latter in a heartbeat, because - again, to me, as it’s just my personal preference - the monsters are more appealing as an IP and embody the spirit of what the park is/has meant to me for the last 30 years more than a video game IP does.

Again, I’m not saying you’re “wrong,” nor am I saying I’m “right,” so don’t take this all as me trying to argue anything as such. It all just boils down to personal preference - IE, mine being for more film IP representation - and like you said, as long as a ride is great, then that’s good for all of us, regardless of the IP.
I mean the park is made to make money.

If you have been to a HHN where lines stretch to 90+ mins on all mazes, you see that's all they care about.

I'm being realistic because the last rides we have gotten are based off "popular" action movies or meh kids movies. I also have to ask where the monster obsession comes from, until I came to this site I never knew people had such a passion for these old films to become rides.
Mazes, sure makes sense they are cheap to do and you own the IP but a full ride for movies that "sadly" are big IP's, I just don't see them doing it I know they were rumored to over in Florida where they have space but really doubt we will see that considering even the Tram now focuses only on mostly newer films. The Bridge is gone, the red sea is gone, they still have Jaws, Earth Quake, and Bates Motel but a Full monsters ride?

That seems like a gamble when you literally can use Pokemon and make easy money or Zelda which is on a hot streak. To me once Potter/Simpsons was added to the parks it didn't matter where the IP came from if it was strong and people like it why not add it. I love movies but Universal isn't top dog, they rarely make films now that are both good/money makes its usually another Jurassic film or FF or Despicable me which has a good first film but after that if you know about the company its all about making the cheapest product for the most returns.

Reactions: Magic-Man