Lower Lot Redesign | Page 55 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I rather have good IPs over crappy movies ones

FF and Pets are meh at best compared to the wonderful world building, art, music and characters of Zelda. If an attraction is good and from a strong idea thats what really matters for me. I rather not see more Jurassic because of space as well but Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, and even DK because of how unique the ride system is feel so different from one another I think it should not matter one company owns them all. But that's just me I grew up with these IP's and love them and rather see them then some crappy "kids" movie or some boring action movie ride.

At the end of the day, it's about what sells more tickets and more merch. There are IP's that would be the best land/ride ever that have 0 chance of being built. I have my doubts whether Zelda ever gets much. I could definitely see more JP or Potter before that gets a big chunk of property in an already space limited park.

At the end of the day, it's about what sells more tickets and more merch. There are IP's that would be the best land/ride ever that have 0 chance of being built. I have my doubts whether Zelda ever gets much. I could definitely see more JP or Potter before that gets a big chunk of property in an already space limited park.
Potter for sure....though here is the thing

Nintendoland if for whatever reason draws more people in than Potter...I think this could lead to them pushing for DK and if that draws alot....then moving ahead with another Nintendo IP.

If Nintendo only does well like Potter did (from here and any sources only I've seen Potter did fine but Universal was expecting more) then its up in the air and a coin toss on who gets another ride. Or if they try another IP.

Right now, I don't care who thinks they have info until we are a year out after Nintendoland, I think anything is possible. We have too many what ifs?

How is America doing after Covid? How is Traveling doing? Do AP's rise as a cheap form of entertainment in LA? Does Nintendo draw big numbers because its both quality and unique and not on the East Coast?

Potter for sure....though here is the thing

Nintendoland if for whatever reason draws more people in than Potter...I think this could lead to them pushing for DK and if that draws alot....then moving ahead with another Nintendo IP.

If Nintendo only does well like Potter did (from here and any sources only I've seen Potter did fine but Universal was expecting more) then its up in the air and a coin toss on who gets another ride. Or if they try another IP.

Right now, I don't care who thinks they have info until we are a year out after Nintendoland, I think anything is possible. We have too many what ifs?

How is America doing after Covid? How is Traveling doing? Do AP's rise as a cheap form of entertainment in LA? Does Nintendo draw big numbers because its both quality and unique and not on the East Coast?

Zelda would be the 4th Nintendo property at the earliest, after SNW, DK, and Pokemon. Do you think they will put that much Nintendo into USH? You think we get there before 2030? What's to say that if SNW is a hit they don't think that Mario is the driver and don't just add more of that?

The whole "Ride the movies" thing has always sucked anyways. Sorry not sorry.

Yeah “Ride the movies” is outdated unfortunately. It’s the universal I grew up with and loved but over the last decade they’ve really been headed in a solid direction. Ride the movies is dead, experience your favorite adventures is more like it now.

All iterations of SNW will be getting the DK expansion, the only drawback to Hollywood's is I believe our expansion of SNW ends there

I think that's fine personally.
IF a second park ever happens I can see more Potter & Nintendo but we don't need more than Mario & DK in the main park IMO.

We need more IP's in the park, I never understand why people want to rip out Transformers or Mummy, they add variety.

I think that's fine personally.
IF a second park ever happens I can see more Potter & Nintendo but we don't need more than Mario & DK in the main park IMO.

We need more IP's in the park, I never understand why people want to rip out Transformers or Mummy, they add variety.

I have nothing against either, but they just feel thrown together on the Lower Lot. Transformers especially. I wish Universal could do a downtown city facade on both buildings or something.

Also, I'd rather have cohesion than variety.

All iterations of SNW will be getting the DK expansion, the only drawback to Hollywood's is I believe our expansion of SNW ends there
Where the heck is DK going in Hollywood?

Also, I don't know, I just really like the weird and odd variety that is the Lower Lot. The Upper Lot isn't much better to be honest. Springfield and Hogsmeade contrast greatly.

I have nothing against either, but they just feel thrown together on the Lower Lot. Transformers especially. I wish Universal could do a downtown city facade on both buildings or something.

100% agree.

Personally I'd add the Beijing Bumble Bee spinner and make a mini Transformers base land (and maybe sort out the mural that everyone seems to hate)

Also, I'd rather have cohesion than variety.

I'd rather have both.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
As someone who work's on the backlot at Universal. The magic of the park and the backlot comes from having both in the same place.

I've been on every other major Studio backlot. None compare to Universal still in terms of energy/motion and feeling of holy S*it i'm working on the backlot! The themepark being about movies def gives the backlot that extra juice. I dont feel like i'm back stage at a themepark, or working somewhere next door to a themepark. It feels like one big
place full of, Pure Magic.

Personally I LOVE Potter like themeing and always want MORE themeing but, the park in Hollywood needs a balance I feel in terms of REAL and Ride the movies. This is Hollywood not Orlando and no matter what Uni does its cant compete with Disney in terms of being a full transportive park. You have to embrace the movie making aspect a bit. Its what makes Universal different. Now yes, you need The Potters and Nintendos but I think if you got rid of the studio feel of the park as a whole. Lots of that magic is gone.

Growing up as a kid Universal studios wasn't just another theme park like Disney or Knotts... it was where they made MOVIES. That made it extra special to me to feel like I was apart of it or around it for a day when I was a child.

If you take that away, I think the park losses most of its charm. Its then just a poorly laid out, super small. not enough to do compared to Orlando or Disneyland park. And no matter what you do, it will never look as "nice" as those parks or resorts. No room for a pond or lake or even a nice garden area here haha You're always just gonna be able to go down to the lower lot and SEE everything beyond the park anyway. Might as well embrace it a bit.

So I feel the park will always need a studio tour as well as some extra BTS movie stuff. Its the personality and character the park.

Id also like to add, There is no second gate coming haha everyone talks about that. But that golf course an't selling. Not to mention that course is boarding/touching Toluca lake and the nicest houses in the area/city. 5-8m bucks a house are all on the border of the golf course/lake... its there backyard. If the course sold. These homes would be touching the new property. They wont let themselves be next to rollercoasters and stuff haha. Its also technically a different city which just further complicates things.

And as you all know. Universal is spending the next 6/7 years redoing the WHOLE rest of the backlot as you know. The rest of the lower lot area closer to the park is basically turning into a google/facebook campus work site type of place. The production stuff all getting moved closer to Barham.

Last edited:
As someone who work's on the backlot at Universal. The magic of the park and the backlot comes from having both in the same place.

always want MORE themeing but, the park in Hollywood needs a balance I feel in terms of REAL and Ride the movies. This is Hollywood not Orlando and no matter what Uni does its cant compete with Disney in terms of being a full transportive park. You have to embrace the movie making aspect a bit. Its what makes Universal different. Now yes, you need The Potters and Nintendos but I think if you got rid of the studio feel of the park as a whole. Lots of that magic is gone.

Growing up as a kid Universal studios wasn't just another theme park like Disney or Knotts... it was where they made MOVIES. That made it extra special to me to feel like I was apart of it or around it for a day when I was a child.

If you take that away, I think the park losses most of its charm. Its then just a poorly laid out, super small. not enough to do compared to Orlando or Disneyland park. And no matter what you do, it will never look as "nice" as those parks or resorts. No room for a pond or lake or even a nice garden area here haha You're always just gonna be able to go down to the lower lot and SEE everything beyond the park anyway. Might as well embrace it a bit..
I agree 100%, as someone who works in the industry as well. There’s something nice about turning our work into a magical experience. However I think it comes off as cold to the general public. The “studio as a theme” theme park has died a slow death, mostly due to the fact that competitors cut corners and used that theme as an excuse to cheap out, rather than immerse you in the world of filmmaking, and with most special effects being done digitally, it’s just not as exciting as the old effects demonstrations they’d do back in the day.

I love old Universal with all my heart. But they are now realizing the only way to attract people is by building spaces people want to stay and linger in, rather than a sparse studio. And look, they weren’t fooling anybody slapping a soundstage 13 decal on the side of the house of horrors building. We know the park and studio are separate. I’d rather have what they did with SLOP, creating an mini-environment to take you into that film and build a nice dark ride to compliment that, than the ride in a soundstage aesthetic. It’s what led to this lower lot problem in the first place.

That being said, I do hope the studio tour and the movie making aspect of the park always have a home, but over the last decade they’ve really turned the park into a much more welcoming, pleasing place to be in. I don’t think the park lost its character, or is straying far from its roots; I think it’s growing up.

That being said, I do hope the studio tour and the movie making aspect of the park always have a home, but over the last decade they’ve really turned the park into a much more welcoming, pleasing place to be in. I don’t think the park lost its character, or is straying far from its roots; I think it’s growing up.

I fully agree, I dont think the park has lost its character yet at all, its improved TREMENDOUSLY! Having a pass in 2010, there was nothing. Place was dead. The Park looks amazing now and the best its been ever. Last decade was the best thing to happen to USH!

Im all for more themed experiences and mini lands. just dont want to fully lose the working studio park feel fully. Keep the tour, a show, and have some areas discuss BTS or filmmaking, props here and there like the Mummy Car are still cool. Just don't lose your roots fully.

I don't think anyone wants Stage 35 on the side of the rides haha but tiny minor stuff like losing what every cast members favorite movie was on their badge made me sad.

Reactions: Freak and Michael S
I fully agree, I dont think the park has lost its character yet at all, its improved TREMENDOUSLY! Having a pass in 2010, there was nothing. Place was dead. The Park looks amazing now and the best its been ever. Last decade was the best thing to happen to USH!

Im all for more themed experiences and mini lands. just dont want to fully lose the working studio park feel fully. Keep the tour, a show, and have some areas discuss BTS or filmmaking, props here and there like the Mummy Car are still cool. Just don't lose your roots fully.

I don't think anyone wants Stage 35 on the side of the rides haha but tiny minor stuff like losing what every cast members favorite movie was on their badge made me sad.
Aw, did they stop doing that? That was such a nice touch. Honestly I would love universal to have another universal experience type display come back.

Wait, wasn't there rumors of a Jimmy Fallon clone on the Lower Lot? I actually wouldn't mind that, especially if they redo all the facades in the area (aka Mummy, Transformers, and Panda's Express) to make it more of a general city theme. They could even go so far as to make the SNW entrance into a mini park area. Would be pretty cool.

I mean if Nintendoland gets people....for sure the Hollywood angle will never die..but it won't be a focus.

You have the Tram Tour which is really great for people who want to see movie sets (the New York sets ARE AMAZING, front area's are very Hollywood but the lower lot has always been.....kinda ugly.

The new Touches from Jurassic are very welcome, Nintendoland is going to kill it on theming as well. They have space next to the Mummy (where they put a maze/the line for the maze) along with the mummy to put a new ride. One day they will replace mummy but think its still a few years away. Look at the map there is like a few soundstages they could take out and put like 2-3 more rides down there and the Universal cafe/Panda Express could fit a show.

I love Water World but if they could fit in the Hogwarst Express and An E-Ticket it would be a fair trade.

But once again everyone on here is speculating (which is fine) but I bet even the Universal higher ups have no plans until after Nintendoland opens and we see where everything is at.

Also kinda off topic but since land is limited there was the old restaurant Set near Frankenstein Parking Garage that is not empty....could they in anyway use that for a ride and connect it to Universal?

In regards to the whole "ride the movie" moniker, I think they are doing a much better job of executing it than they initially did in the 90/00's. Before you literally sat there and put on 3D glasses and that was it. Now you literally walk into the plot on Gringotts and become part of the action, you get to experience what a typical day of learning and chasing creatures on Hagrids and Jurassic park/world will always be the essence of riding the movie. I think by continuing to creating the environment of the movies to go along with the attractions will continue to provide next level rides that really put you in the world of the movies and help with the escapism.

**Sidebar** why do we always say "get something like"? I am always the guy that says create something to become the "get something like". While taron seems to be a good attraction, I would love for universal to create their own renown attraction and ride that people will use to compare their wishlist to.

In regards to the whole "ride the movie" moniker, I think they are doing a much better job of executing it than they initially did in the 90/00's. Before you literally sat there and put on 3D glasses and that was it. Now you literally walk into the plot on Gringotts and become part of the action, you get to experience what a typical day of learning and chasing creatures on Hagrids and Jurassic park/world will always be the essence of riding the movie. I think by continuing to creating the environment of the movies to go along with the attractions will continue to provide next level rides that really put you in the world of the movies and help with the escapism.

**Sidebar** why do we always say "get something like"? I am always the guy that says create something to become the "get something like". While taron seems to be a good attraction, I would love for universal to create their own renown attraction and ride that people will use to compare their wishlist to.

It's easier to explain what you want when you use a comparison.

I want the next best, stand alone, measuring stick of an attraction. Like spiderman was groundbreaking, they didn't just build "something like haunted mansion" they broke molds.