Lower Lot Redesign | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The ent department sure seems to be moving away from shows. I doubt we'll ever see a new show at USH again.
Universal's in-house team doesn't seem to produce that many shows any more. Special Effects Stage was contracted out to Thinkwell, so the last show by entertainment has to be either Creature or Fear Factor.

Perhaps they'll outsource this again?

it is a very exciting time at universal. im just surprised at this new development and how it wasn't even part of the evolution plan( it wasn't right? ) and to know its for a theme park expansion was a plus . i was truly expecting the mummy to go first before even thinking about studio 28 and potentially Panda being removed. I wonder what the main top  guys at universal thought of bringing to the lower lot and how long  this decision  was in any type of conversations they had , hopefully its something big!!

First off, I kind of suspected this over a year ago when I overheard one of the higher ups comment that they were being prepping ideas for post-Potter expansion... on the lower lot. I thought Stage 2 was going to bite the bullet over stage 28 (or hell... Mummy), so this is a bit of a surprise.

It's true. Transformers is a surprisingly noisy attraction.
And yes, it's true. Stage 28 had to start booking its shooting schedule on weekends due to the extremely noisy Transformers extended queue, and the fact that the park bartered to have the area out front cleared on weekend afternoons in case the woodstock queues needed to be built. (it's the horrid temp queue ride ops have to build if the wait stretches over two hours with dual-VTU operation) Not only that, but evacuations meant the show building doors would burst open with noisy guests bustling down stairs, not to mention ops darting around near the soundstage shouting at each other. Heck, we even used their water valves to fill the mister fan tanks. 

We're not even discounting the booming loud music score echoing at the entrance either. Combine that with hoards of people gathered in one place most days, an aging infrastructure with one side unable to be used as well as multiple other soundstages that are state of the art... it's really not hard to see why this is occurring albeit a sad one.

As to what it'll become? I honest-to-god have no idea but it has to be quiet enough to validate being next to other soundstages. In other words: not Diagon Alley.

My thoughts and predictions would be to remove Panda and NBCUE and Stage 28 could become a new restaurant venue.  Expand the current restrooms to become much larger and leave then where they are today.  When you see an aerial photo, you can see the current gift shop/Panda/NBCUE/Transformers extended queue are in the way of street growth.

Of course, this could also become a new Studio Tour loading and unloading zone...but that is dreaming!

I highly doubt if we will see an attraction in this corner, but my validity has become shot with this topic in recent days!  LOL

One of the things being rumored for Universal Orlando is some sort of Star Trek attraction. As is often the case, what happens at one park can also happen at another. If you put a Star Trek attraction next to Transformers, you could potentially turn that side of the lower lot into a sci-fi city type area.

My thoughts and predictions would be to remove Panda and NBCUE and Stage 28 could become a new restaurant venue. Expand the current restrooms to become much larger and leave then where they are today. When you see an aerial photo, you can see the current gift shop/Panda/NBCUE/Transformers extended queue are in the way of street growth.

Of course, this could also become a new Studio Tour loading and unloading zone...but that is dreaming!

I highly doubt if we will see an attraction in this corner, but my validity has become shot with this topic in recent days! LOL
Considering Stage 28 is a rare blessing of a pretty huge piece of land the theme park just got their hands on, with a similar size to Transformers (remember, a potential new ride could dig down and also be two story and bigger than the original Stage 28, just how Transformers is bigger than Backdraft and original SES), I seriously seriously doubt they'd waste such a rare opportunity on another restaurant, ESPECIALLY considering we're getting more food with Springfield, Hogsmeade, and the "rumored" restaurant transformation of HoH, which is already a big space for a restaurant. So I absolutely see Stage 28 being a new ride. This is truly a blessing for USH.

But I absolutely agree with you that Universal Experience and Panda will be evicted and the buildings demolished, they're in the way. I think they'll cut it off at Jurassic Cafe, and open up the rest of the street. And hopefully in the process they could reopen the T Rex BBQ.

One of the things being rumored for Universal Orlando is some sort of Star Trek attraction. As is often the case, what happens at one park can also happen at another. If you put a Star Trek attraction next to Transformers, you could potentially turn that side of the lower lot into a sci-fi city type area.
*sigh* why does that smell like a simulator? haha.

Reactions: William
However, JP cannot handle all the food options in the lower lot.  I can see Stage 28 just opening foot space to add venues with more cohesion involved rather than the hodgepodge we have today on the west side of the street. 

Also, remember that Transformers extended queue will have to wrap around the ride building taking up some space.  You cannot leave the Backdraft queue there any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: William
However, JP cannot handle all the food options in the lower lot. I can see Stage 28 just opening foot space to add venues with more cohesion involved rather than the hodgepodge we have today on the west side of the street.

Also, remember that Transformers extended queue will have to wrap around the ride building taking up some space. You cannot leave the Backdraft queue there any longer.
But again, why waste precious and rare theme park expansion space that's finally big enough for another ride for more restaurants? I'm fine with the Lower Lot being kinda tight. That's the nature of the entire park.

They need to reopen the T-Rex BBQ.

I really don't see Diagon Alley occurring in the Lower Lot simply because they're removing Soundstage 28. The size comparisons between the two aren't even in the same league, and the Gringotts building alone will dwarf the entire Lower Lot.

Think of this: if they're getting rid of stage 28 because of noise, why would they further pollute the backlot with something potentially louder?

While I don't believe Stage 28's footprint should be dedicated entirely to a dining venue, the Lower Lot desperately needs something more. Panda Express and Jurassic Café aren't cutting it.

I think that sound stage 28's demolition may lead to another House of Horrors. What leads me to this conclusion you may ask?

1. They have nothing to remember much of the movie monsters.
  2. Soundstage 28 was thought to be haunted.
  3. It could be fit in a smaller soundstage leading to more food venues in the lower lot, even another restroom.
  4. It wouldn't be much just to move the stuff to the lower lot.
Reasons for moving it?

1. More space for food venues in the front of the park.
  2. Make the place fit in more to the surroundings without damaging the horror feel.
  3. To retheme the front of the park.
I dunno. Just making things up. They may just make Jaws the ride there :p

Just a thought

It'd be cool if they relocated everything from Universal Experience to the HoH restaurant and used the current exhibit space for a counter service restaurant. But that would block the entrance to Stage 28. Grrrr. Idk what they could do with adding new dining space. Maybe add a 2 story dining in place of Panda?

But then still raze Universal Experience? :p

I am 100% sure this won't be a restaurant. It's such a huge space to be wasted on a restaurant... i mean it would be huge so it doesn't really make sense. Maybe they relocate the Studio Tour there and then... Diagon Alley on Falls Lake