Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge - General Discussion | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
finally got on this today and... I think it's pretty good! I don't love the augmented reality aspect of this attraction and didn't find the gameplay to be all that fun. but the physical sets are awesome and I felt the overall ride experience was interesting and engaging.

there's not much else to compare this to, but I feel like I'd rather go on an attraction like men in black that has more enjoyable gameplay mixed with some decent dark ride elements. anyway! glad I got to go on it and am curious to see how the Osaka version (of the land) compares.

Was there last Sunday around 4pm for a quick visit after watching Oppenheimer on IMAX at CityWalk (Thank you National Cinema Day!) VL wasn’t needed to enter the land. It was a 5-min wait for Toad M&G. MK posted wait was 70. SR was just outside the door and took only 20 min. I didn’t notice the wind effects to be any different.
What are you high scores on Mario Kart? Mine is 230.
My PB is 218. My 14yo son’s PB is 231. We share the same band.
D51ED602-ABA1-4A65-9F24-FB1F97B350E5.png

Was there last Sunday around 4pm for a quick visit after watching Oppenheimer on IMAX at CityWalk (Thank you National Cinema Day!) VL wasn’t needed to enter the land. It was a 5-min wait for Toad M&G. MK posted wait was 70. SR was just outside the door and took only 20 min. I didn’t notice the wind effects to be any different.

My PB is 218. My 14yo son’s PB is 231. We share the same band.
View attachment 19679
National Cinema Day for us employees is absolutely awful and I hope they never do it again.

National Cinema Day for us employees is absolutely awful and I hope they never do it again.
I can imagine how awful it was for employees. The concessions line was insane. With how successful it was, I don't think it'll go away. They'll probably just raise the price by $1 every year. It was $3 last year for its inaugural year so maybe it'll be $5 next year.

I can imagine how awful it was for employees. The concessions line was insane. With how successful it was, I don't think it'll go away. They'll probably just raise the price by $1 every year. It was $3 last year for its inaugural year so maybe it'll be $5 next year.
It wasn't actually that successful for a lot of theaters. They didn't sell as much concessions as hoped (that's where a majority of the money is made), lots of fights broke out and forced theaters (like mine) to close early, the auditoriums were a complete wreck and employees got overwhelmed. I don't think movie theaters are designed to have a Black Friday equivalent.

It was better than last year because the theater managers were more prepared this time, but the actual success of it is debatable.

I think the fact so many would show up for this speaks to how overpriced movies have become. I rarely go to the movies at traditional theaters anymore. I'm very thankful that I live near Vidiots (a revival/art house theater), where movies are $15.

I think the fact so many would show up for this speaks to how overpriced movies have become. I rarely go to the movies at traditional theaters anymore. I'm very thankful that I live near Vidiots (a revival/art house theater), where movies are $15.
$15 is the average price for standard 2D tickets at a higher end theater. Anything more expensive are usually the premium formats (Real D 3D, IMAX, Dobly and so on). Max youre paying for an individual ticket is $25 (Dobly and Imax laser screens for a big release). I have two Regal theaters near me and the smaller and older one (from the 90s and hasn't been updated) is only about $6 for tickets if you go during matinee, $8 for regular.

Last edited:
Yeah, glad to see I'm not alone on this. Regal costing $13 for daytime movies now in my area is a bit of a deterrent when the prices pick up later in the day. It makes seeing a movie with two people almost $30 after tax. Explains why I still haven't seen Barbie or Oppenheimer yet.

Also, to throw my hat in the ring for high scores, my highest is 240, though unfortunately the wheel did not work with my band that time. Thankfully I got pics of my visor and managing to have it be the highest right as the park closed.

Reactions: Stryker
Rode this today.

A very nice D-ticket dark ride. I still don't really think it does the game justice, but for what it is, it's nice. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but I don't mean it that way. If your expectations are set at the proper level, there's almost no way you won't enjoy it.

But it's not a standalone headliner, and really needs some complementary attractions around it.

I mean maybe next year no one rides MK but....to not call it a Standalone Headliner ride when it has the longest wait times every day and is what is drawing everyone at two parks that both had the biggest increase in guests/money for Universal

The general Public seems to disagree, to me its like the biggest movies of the year...is Avatar 2, Mario Movie or Barbie the best films? Nope but they draw people in, so have to give them that at least.

Mario Kart might not might not make you say wow like Star Wars ROTR but from the Q to end of ride, its fun. Nothing wrong with that and just find it sooooo weird still how SLOP which is simple fun is fine but Mario Kart is also just fun but that's not enough. I think at least to guests fun is what matters over some epic coaster or whatever it is fans think a Mario Kart ride should be.

(the only reason I don't get on the ride much any more is because the line is so insane even single rider doesn't help much right now)

Reactions: BriefCasey
(the only reason I don't get on the ride much any more is because the line is so insane even single rider doesn't help much right now)
It’s not that bad anymore after kids went back to school. Haven't needed VL to enter the land. The last few Sundays have been slow. This past Sunday, MK posted wait was 45 min at 3pm and SR was at the top of the stairs.

I mean maybe next year no one rides MK but....to not call it a Standalone Headliner ride when it has the longest wait times every day and is what is drawing everyone at two parks that both had the biggest increase in guests/money for Universal

The general Public seems to disagree, to me its like the biggest movies of the year...is Avatar 2, Mario Movie or Barbie the best films? Nope but they draw people in, so have to give them that at least.

Mario Kart might not might not make you say wow like Star Wars ROTR but from the Q to end of ride, its fun. Nothing wrong with that and just find it sooooo weird still how SLOP which is simple fun is fine but Mario Kart is also just fun but that's not enough. I think at least to guests fun is what matters over some epic coaster or whatever it is fans think a Mario Kart ride should be.

Difference in SLOP & Mario perceptions....One word...'Expectations' . It's always tougher for an attraction, that has really high expectations, to meet those lofty goals. SLOP, which is the result of a lesser IP, didn't have those real high expectations. One reason it's merch doesn't sell well. But, from what I've read, both attractions seem fine. Though that's not as essential as actually riding the attractions, multiple times.

It’s not that bad anymore after kids went back to school. Haven't needed VL to enter the land. The last few Sundays have been slow. This past Sunday, MK posted wait was 45 min at 3pm and SR was at the top of the stairs.
I'll check out the app this weekend but most the times it's 90 mins on weekends (besides HHN times because its very limited who can enter the land)

I'm just saying the ride is at the two parks that had the most growth for Universal and it's for sure the ride that is drawing in more people then ever to USH...so just don't get how you could label it not "standalone headliner"

I'll check out the app this weekend but most the times it's 90 mins on weekends (besides HHN times because its very limited who can enter the land)

I'm just saying the ride is at the two parks that had the most growth for Universal and it's for sure the ride that is drawing in more people then ever to USH...so just don't get how you could label it not "standalone headliner"

He's saying it isn't enough to anchor the land, in his opinion. It does not meet his expectations of what a standalone headliner needs to accomplish. How long people are willing to wait for it or how many people it brings to the park are immaterial.

He's saying it isn't enough to anchor the land, in his opinion. It does not meet his expectations of what a standalone headliner needs to accomplish. How long people are willing to wait for it or how many people it brings to the park are immaterial.
How else do we gauge what is successful then?

Reviews positive, people are willing to wait in line for it, people are willing extra to get into the land to ride said ride, brings in more guests then any other attraction before it, more merch is being sold because said attraction is made.

That's just my point, I think if the land was empty I'd say ride failed at being an Anchor but it has changed the entire wait times and crowds level for the park.