Mark Woodbury Named Vice Chairman, Universal Parks & Resorts | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Mark Woodbury Named Vice Chairman, Universal Parks & Resorts

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would think Woodbury being one of the top couple executives for so long has had hands on experience in just about every facet of the business. Universal has always been run by a very small tight knit cadre of executives that are very involved in all operations. That's the way it was set up by Jay Stein, and the cast of people hasn't changed much over the years. Just a few tweeks in job responsibilities. ...Their management structure is very different from Disneys'.

My reply wasn't about Woodbury. It was to the one who was saying more creatives should run companies.

I couldn't think of anybody better for the position, and I think he really solidified his status as a powerhouse with the creation of Diagon and all included parts. The level of immersion is beyond what I ever thought was possible and it was easy for me to suspend belief long enough to truly get a sense of the land and feel like I walked into the book/movie. I have always had the thought process of hiring for upper management from within and people who have worked their way up through all facets of the business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Wait, what exactly has Woodbury done...?

There's not enough videos from UC with the designers telling us how awesome they are and I don't see any effigy of their family members or shout outs to their places of birth or even painting of themselves in the shops. Heck, I haven't even seen one piece of abstract art of their favorite attraction staircase from another park used as the background pattern for a window cover.

How am I supposed to know what this guy did and why he's important?

Actually basing on what I'm seeing I think Tom Williams may be on his way to retiring. Especially in 2 more years he will hit his 20 year mark of being CEO for Univeral Parks and Resorts and Woodbury may be groomed to be his successor which would be great.

I'm just glad its not Thierry otherwise he would just greenlit a bunch of 4D attractions.

Actually basing on what I'm seeing I think Tom Williams may be on his way to retiring. Especially in 2 more years he will hit his 20 year mark of being CEO for Univeral Parks and Resorts and Woodbury may be groomed to be his successor which would be great.

I'm just glad its not Thierry otherwise he would just greenlit a bunch of 4D attractions.

Yes.

So WDW 1974 on Magic weighed in on MW's elevation. Wondering what the people here think it?

" Mark Woodbury: while we are on the subject of UNI, Woodbury was recently elevated to the No. 2 role in their parks business. I've heard UNI fanbois crowing and all I can think is ''they really don't get THEIR company or Woodbury's role." Talk to anyone at UNI-Creative and you would think the man is Satan (that role is being occupied by Steve Bannon these days!) He is widely disliked to a Bruce Vaughn level or higher. And his decisions on too many screen-based attractions and too much repetition have kept Creative from upping Disney overall. Sure, anything Potter is among the best creative product out there ... but after that the level drops quite a bit. WDI may spend like our defense department, but overall their product is still better. Any anyone looking at the plans for UNI-Beijing and seeing what is actually happening would realize this is almost as cut and paste as TDL was in 1983."

So WDW 1974 on Magic weighed in on MW's elevation. Wondering what the people here think it?

" Mark Woodbury: while we are on the subject of UNI, Woodbury was recently elevated to the No. 2 role in their parks business. I've heard UNI fanbois crowing and all I can think is ''they really don't get THEIR company or Woodbury's role." Talk to anyone at UNI-Creative and you would think the man is Satan (that role is being occupied by Steve Bannon these days!) He is widely disliked to a Bruce Vaughn level or higher. And his decisions on too many screen-based attractions and too much repetition have kept Creative from upping Disney overall. Sure, anything Potter is among the best creative product out there ... but after that the level drops quite a bit. WDI may spend like our defense department, but overall their product is still better. Any anyone looking at the plans for UNI-Beijing and seeing what is actually happening would realize this is almost as cut and paste as TDL was in 1983."

Yet Nintendo has no screen based attractions based on what was seen so.....SLOP with screens seems to have been cut, and every other insider said screen based attractions have been sent back to the drawing room. I'm holding a grain of salt. Especially if Spirit source was whylightbulb which explain his lack of accurancy and how their comments always seem to line up for UNI but accurancy off compared to here.

Last edited:

I have said this when it comes to WDWMAGIC, the grain of salt I put on whatever rumor comes out in regards to UPR is with a truck loaded with salt.

Isn't Coup the screen guy anyway?

Yes almost all his rides for Universal are screen based.
TEaGxzM.png

Wait, what exactly has Woodbury done...?

There's not enough videos from UC with the designers telling us how awesome they are and I don't see any effigy of their family members or shout outs to their places of birth or even painting of themselves in the shops. Heck, I haven't even seen one piece of abstract art of their favorite attraction staircase from another park used as the background pattern for a window cover.

How am I supposed to know what this guy did and why he's important?

Well... he has helped expand Universal, make the parks more immersive, etc.
And I don't know how you don't know him... he was in the Nintendo video for god sake.

Yet Nintendo has no screen based attractions based on what was seen so.....SLOP with screens seems to have been cut, and every other insider said screen based attractions have been sent back to the drawing room. I'm holding a grain of salt. Especially if Teebin source was Whylightbulb which explain his lack of accurancy and how their comments always seem to line up for UNI but accurancy off compared to here.
Uhhh, Teebin does not particularly like Whylightbulb or value his ramblings. Doubt very much he would be a Teebin source. :).......Teebin's sources were impeccable & completely reliant. His info is always initially correct, unless Universal makes changes along the decision making process......Note: Spirit is always talking s _ _ t on Universal execs. He especially singles out Tom Williams too. When it comes to Universal his track record is shaky. He's fairly decent with Disney though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico
Uhhh, Teebin does not particularly like Whylightbulb or value his ramblings. Doubt very much he would be a Teebin source. :).......Teebin's sources were impeccable & completely reliant. His info is always initially correct, unless Universal makes changes along the decision making process......Note: Spirit is always talking s _ _ t on Universal execs. He especially singles out Tom Williams too. When it comes to Universal his track record is shaky. He's fairly decent with Disney though.

I meant Spirit. Thank you for spotting that mistake

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
Yes almost all his rides for Universal are screen based.
TEaGxzM.png

Not to turn this into another screen debate, but they were very relevant a couple of years ago...I think Gringotts was about the point they should have stopped..

Anywho, congrats for Mark...I am interested to see how he manages