Max (Streaming Service) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Max (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Most interesting thing to come is from the first question. Zaslav mentions that they are putting together a 10-year plan for DC films like the MCU, seems to hint at a reboot of the DCEU.

Also said they didn't want to put out Batgirl because they see DC as such an important brand that they want everything to be planned, not just to put out a movie because it would make them back some money.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nico
Most interesting thing to come is from the first question. Zaslav mentions that they are putting together a 10-year plan for
DC films like the MCU, seems to hint at a reboot of the DCEU, and said they didn't want to put out Batgirl because they see DC as such an important brand that they want everything to be planned, not just to put out a movie because it would make them back some money.

They're putting together a 10 year plan when they don't know who'll rules DC in a year?

We need a ten year plan which is why Batgirl wont be shown.....but Joker 2 is still coming?

So that was a lie.....if Joker 2 can come out then so can Batgirl...yes yes...tax BS. DC has been doing good work the last few years and also felt like MCU 1.0 in a good way....now we will just have DC movies over stuffing films like MCU is right now....fun

We need a ten year plan which is why Batgirl wont be shown.....but Joker 2 is still coming?

So that was a lie.....if Joker 2 can come out then so can Batgirl...yes yes...tax BS. DC has been doing good work the last few years and also felt like MCU 1.0 in a good way....now we will just have DC movies over stuffing films like MCU is right now....fun
Joker 2 is outside of the DCEU. Simple as that. It seems to me that the execs over at WBD/DC like these sub-universes that we're seeing with Joker and The Batman.

Now obviously it wasn't exactly the whole truth of course as they aren't going to go and throw Aquaman or Shazam 2 in the trash because there's too much money to be made and those cost way more to make. However, I think the point is you only get one chance to make a first impression with a character on screen. Why waste Batgirl's first impression on an HBO Max film set within a Universe that is not long for this world?

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne and Nico

…..I know this is a losing battle with you, but I’m gonna try anyway. None of what you’re talking about is correct.

1. They want to refocus theatrical release unlike the last regime during Covid. (Which lost them Nolan and other talent.)
2. Data shows that theatrical releases that are later released on streaming perform better and are better drivers than made for streaming films.
3. He believes that there is a pending bubble (which we are seeing with Netflix) that endless content spending is not a sustainable model.
4. He is super protective of the DC brands. He wants to only release films “they believe in” and that “protect the DC brand.” By all accounts, Batgirl does not fall in that line. Joker made over a billion in theatrical release and won awards. A sequel has hopes for similar results.
5. The 10 year plan Will be developed with Allan Horne. He was officially announced last week. Those 10 years don’t start today. There are theatrical releases already on the board for the next two years.

5. The 10 year plan Will be developed with Allan Horne. He was officially announced last week. Those 10 years don’t start today. There are theatrical releases already on the board for the next two years.
I have a hard time believing Horn is going to be the one coming up with the plan. I could see him overseeing it and hiring execs to do what is essentially Feige's job for years to come, but Horn is not that guy. I doubt he knows much of anything about comic books. He just knows how to put these plans (that other people come up with) into motion. They need to find a group of creatives who understand the DC Comics inside and out.

Reactions: rageofthegods
Joker 2 is outside of the DCEU. Simple as that. It seems to me that the execs over at WBD/DC like these sub-universes that we're seeing with Joker and The Batman.

Now obviously it wasn't exactly the whole truth of course as they aren't going to go and throw Aquaman or Shazam 2 in the trash because there's too much money to be made and those cost way more to make. However, I think the point is you only get one chance to make a first impression with a character on screen. Why waste Batgirl's first impression on an HBO Max film set within a Universe that is not long for this world?
But flash and Shazam and black Adam and aqua man arent cancelled makes no sense.

zaz is an idiot who is wasting the talent and most of all the biggest money movers and makers for WB and discovery

…..I know this is a losing battle with you, but I’m gonna try anyway. None of what you’re talking about is correct.

1. They want to refocus theatrical release unlike the last regime during Covid. (Which lost them Nolan and other talent.)
2. Data shows that theatrical releases that are later released on streaming perform better and are better drivers than made for streaming films.
3. He believes that there is a pending bubble (which we are seeing with Netflix) that endless content spending is not a sustainable model.
4. He is super protective of the DC brands. He wants to only release films “they believe in” and that “protect the DC brand.” By all accounts, Batgirl does not fall in that line. Joker made over a billion in theatrical release and won awards. A sequel has hopes for similar results.
I understand the logic but without seeing the film, I can't say if the film isn't up to standards or not

Like people would say Thor 4 and Dr Strange 2 aren't amazing films but the brand is just fine. So even if Batgirl isn't the next best film, its really sucks that the film is done filming and we can't see it because some CEO thinks it could hurt the brand and for tax credits. Like the Sydercut, I'd rather this be a film then something just gone forever and it sucks we have to wait...like 5+ years for another (if we even get one) Batgirl film because of one person.

Edit and seeing them cutting kid content, just F this guy. I hate we are allowing companies to combine just to kill people's jobs and not us Ip's you own....don't want to make Batgirl and Looney Tunes? Fine give them to someone who wants to use these characters

But flash and Shazam and black Adam and aqua man arent cancelled makes no sense.

zaz is an idiot who is wasting the talent and most of all the biggest money movers and makers for WB and discovery
Those were PLANNED theatrical releases, and as I said, some things just need to be released to preserve existing relationships with actors, directors, etc. Also, like, Aquaman was a $1B film. Black Adam has Dwayne Johnson in it. They are not planning any more DCEU films passed Flash anymore.

Also, Batgirl was planned for HBO Max and it was made on a smaller budget due to that. I'm sure the movie might have been fine, but they didn't want the movie to seem lesser than the other DC films by being a streaming release and even if they released it in theaters, it probably would've been criticized for bad VFX since it was made for HBO Max on a lesser budget. This preserves the integrity of the character in relation to her first mainstream exposure and for her to eventually get a proper, theatrical movie with the budget you'd expect for a theatrical movie.

Zaz sees DC as the company's biggest asset. While this may not be ideal that the film doesn't get released, if this is part of a plan that will eventually see the DCEU reborn and actually be good, then i'm all for it.

Reactions: Nico
I understand the logic behind canceling Batgirl, but why cut kids content? Not accusing anyone, just curious how the biz works
They've said it's something about that "kids aren't the target audience", but that's a terrible reason. Kids aren't a target audience on Netflix either, but Netflix still makes kids content because they know that parents can't be using the service at all hours of the day. For example, Cocomelon sat inside of Netflix's Top 10 shows for almost the entirety of 2021 and still pops in every once in awhile.

Kids don't have to be the core audience, but if you're assuming that adults are, then you have to take into account that adults have kids. You should want kids staying on your platform and watching shows they like rather than basically saying, "eh, they probably have Disney+ for their kids, right?"

I understand the logic behind canceling Batgirl, but why cut kids content? Not accusing anyone, just curious how the biz works
The amount of people that would consider HBO Max their primary streamer for kids’ viewing is probably minuscule. Sure, they watch it but it’s never going to be their primary subscription driver. The amount of people that will truly cancel because there isn’t enough for kids to watch will not shift HBO’s market position one way or the other, but it will free up resources to focus on content that actually moves the needle.

The amount of people that would consider HBO Max their primary streamer for kids’ viewing is probably minuscule. Sure, they watch it but it’s never going to be their primary subscription driver. The amount of people that will truly cancel because there isn’t enough for kids to watch will not shift HBO’s market position one way or the other, but it will free up resources to focus on content that actually moves the needle.
Then sell off the IPs you ate t going to use

I’m just tired of companies combing and killing off good IPs because it’s not there brand
Cool then sell it so artists can make things
The new looney tune shorts are great and sucks we won’t get more but we can have some crappy realty tv show because that’s what HBO paying members want, lol

To chime in here, Netflix is not targeted for kids but if did not have them I would not have Netflix. I almost never watch Netflix but my kids have movies and shows they love. If you don't have kids content it makes is really easy to cancel for a few months when the adult doesn't see interesting things for themselves. I often pickup and cancel paramount + and peacock due to them lacking stuff that keeps much kids engaged.

The cuts to kids content aren't just on HBO Max either. It's across streaming and linear.

Also notice how Looney Tunes is the only kids brand or franchise mentioned. How is not prioritizing kids and family programming helping to grow your business and earn consumer trust?

Another big thing to note...lack of LOTR....despite them making and producing the show to Amazon.
That's because Shark Week and 90 Day Fiancé had to be there obviously.

But with Lord of the Rings having a new show.... on a competitor service right now, I think that's the reason you aren't seeing them promote the franchise. They may be producing it, but it's not on their service.