Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was never a fan of GMR, and I think in many ways this is an improvement. It's just disappointing that the ride is so short in comparison to what it replaced.

I also think that most of the ride is great and well done, but the dance break makes zero sense and destroys the pacing. It's cute, but it felt like it was really a case of "oh, crap, we paid a s#!t ton of money for these rvs which have all these things we can do with them. Let's shoehorn in a way to show off what they can do!"

I didn't mind the character style they used, but the AAs look odd in that style.

The pre-show cartoon was cute, but it made me wince a little with Pluto in the trunk of the car. I know it's just a cartoon, but it seemed like a weird oversight of pet neglect/abuse.

It reminded me in the best ways of classic Disney dark rides like Mr. Toad, just with new tech.

Reactions: badlactose
I was never a fan of GMR, and I think in many ways this is an improvement. It's just disappointing that the ride is so short in comparison to what it replaced.

I also think that most of the ride is great and well done, but the dance break makes zero sense and destroys the pacing. It's cute, but it felt like it was really a case of "oh, crap, we paid a s#!t ton of money for these rvs which have all these things we can do with them. Let's shoehorn in a way to show off what they can do!"

I didn't mind the character style they used, but the AAs look odd in that style.

The pre-show cartoon was cute, but it made me wince a little with Pluto in the trunk of the car. I know it's just a cartoon, but it seemed like a weird oversight of pet neglect/abuse.

It reminded me in the best ways of classic Disney dark rides like Mr. Toad, just with new tech.

The dance bit reminded of Nicktoon Blast with the chicken dance but no where near as good.

If you're familiar with the shorts, this will fit right in. Pluto just gets into wacky situations just like everyone else. Lots of cartoon mayhem and violence, etc. Remember that this isn't the normal Fab Five, and YMMV.

I watched several videos, and my first initial impression wasn't great due to timing issues. There's a video out there that shows POVs with all four cars and it is certain that some vehicles are better than others. This is also a MAJOR issue with Mystic Manor, so this isn't a sole MMRR problem. However, for the most part it's really fun, cute and neat. While they do the transformation bits twice, I was hoping for a bit more of them. Also, the tornado bit between the carnival and tropical island was... weird. I don't know, it just didn't work for me. That could be improved with some projections.

The preshow and song are just... great. I love these shorts and this does not disappoint. All of the different gags in various scenes are also aces. A little bummed that it isn't quite as irreverent as it could've been, aside from the chill ocean bit. However this is a very nice elaborate dark ride that will fit right into Toontown. They did a strong job fitting it into the Chinese Theatre, moreso than you'd think. I admired the Great Movie Ride, but it was also very clearly dated. I think some people are just too overly attached to its ambition, but seem to disregard that Runaway Railway is quite ambitious as well.

It'd be interesting if they ever try to plus the ride, but I don't think it ever will. Also I'm still lol'ing at the person who said this is more similar to Rise than Transformers is to Spidey. Sure, Jan.

I dislike the animation style of the shorts, so this ride never was going to click with me personally. The same goes for Star Wars as I loathe the Disney sequels. But as that ride, this one also looks decent. Is there a rule to not paint the floor matching the theme like Efteling did or put some projections on it? It sometimes looks like driving through an empty building.

Reactions: SpyderDan
In regards to why the floor isn't painted the whole way though, you can see in POVs, the train track put on the floor in the tunnel is already rubbing off where the ride goes "off track" its fine for straight along the rails but moving off destroys the paint.

Like the touches to make it feel like the train is a tracked train ride, the bell ringing, moving motion on the locomotive and painted floor, shame due to timing and corners the full effect isnt shown as well for every rider.
Timing seams like it needs adjustment
and the dance studio feels like a filler with cost reduced

but overall a good dark ride

I am avoiding spoilers but it's refreshing to see such low wait times on opening day for this guy.... Must be running smoothly/have great capacity.

Reactions: awhen
Disney hasn’t ever painted their show floors for tracked rides. Why is it more jarring with trackless? Genuinely curious.

Disney hasn’t ever painted their show floors for tracked rides. Why is it more jarring with trackless? Genuinely curious.
Usually trackless rides have a more open floor area, especially when you are in front of a screen it is noticable.

Reactions: tielo
I was referring to this floor as it is amazing and done for a tiny budget compared to what Disney has to play with. It's a combination of painting (and sealing) and simple projection to make it part of the environment. This ride costed 35 Million Euro (incl building and solar panels on top of it).
View attachment 11782
View attachment 11783
Symbolica just shows how much Disney (and at this point Universal) waste so much money needlessly. More immersive than almost anything that's opened from either company in a while at a fraction of the price.

Reactions: Clive and SkiBum
Also, the tornado bit between the carnival and tropical island was... weird. I don't know, it just didn't work for me. That could be improved with some projections.
I agree with both of these criticisms.

The “dance scene” was odd and if they’re shoehorning in a Daisy, just have us traverse through the bow-tique and have things fly off the shelves or whatever.
Also agree with the tornado; it needed more background filler. Felt very cat in the hat-like in that scene; which isn’t a good thing.

Those two small things aside, I think the ride is fantastic and perfect for DHS. In a park full of higher height requirement E-Tickets, and Rise being added as well, the combination of this and Toy Story Land added some much needed attractions for kids and grandparents. The scenes exceeded my expectations, but I wish they did a bit more with the vehicles like they did with Pooh in a Tokyo.

Symbolica just shows how much Disney (and at this point Universal) waste so much money needlessly. More immersive than almost anything that's opened from either company in a while at a fraction of the price.

Exactly the point that I was making on a different thread. On Magic, Symbolica was mentioned as being boring but it goes at the same speed (I don't think that these trackless vehicles ever go that fast). However, from just videos (I haven't been to Efteling), it feels magical and has a lot of fun effects. Mystic Manor appears to go beyond Symbolica but each of these rides utilizes the ride system effectively.

Again, from videos only, MMRR does look very enjoyable, though. Just a nice dark ride that far exceeds the efforts put into The Little Mermaid and Navi, though Navi's effects are better. However, MMRR has a storyline that it follows more effectively than Navi.

Just got in line at roughly 5:35. Listed 120 minute wait. From what I’ve seen on the app today, the ride hasn’t been down much, if at all, and other rides are seeing lower wait times. We’ll see how that holds up once Spring Break crowds start to hit, though.

EDIT:
Ride just broke down right before I entered the Chinese Theater. The line was moving incredibly fast before that. Cast Member here said it’s the 2nd breakdown of the day.

Last edited:
Just got in line at roughly 5:35. Listed 120 minute wait. From what I’ve seen on the app today, the ride hasn’t been down much, if at all, and other rides are seeing lower wait times. We’ll see how that holds up once Spring Break crowds start to hit, though.

EDIT:
Ride just broke down right before I entered the Chinese Theater. The line was moving incredibly fast before that. Cast Member here said it’s the 2nd breakdown of the day.
Well it is opening day.

Think that was used when Mickey and Minnie fixed everything at the end

WOW how did I miss that? Rewatched and it was clear as day. :bonk:

As for the dance room, it feels like a worse version of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters. I worry this will become a trope used in these sorts of rides they build from now on.

Reactions: Clive
Rode today and some quick notes.... the pre-show effect works much better in person ... I was in the last car and it really jerked me around. I hadn't noticed that in the videos.. maybe it just didn't show well on video. Animatronics look weird. Agree, the Tornado sequence seems empty. But the finale.... very very impressive. Especially if you look around when it happens. (Also the other big change happens.... when you can't see it ... weird ... the 360 degree video shows it when you look behind the cars)