Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

PRECISELY! Over-Imagineered.

Just saw this article about the projection technology. Interesting to note they correct the previous claim about the "first attraction to feature Mickey Mouse" to "The ride is the first Disney ride-through attraction featuring Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse.". The article also is still saying the DL version is slated for 2022: Panasonic creates immersive cartoon world with first ever Disney ride-through attraction featuring Mickey Mouse and friends
2022 is perfect. Will probably be ready to take the first trip to DL with the kiddo by 2022.

The queue and preshow are so custom, I wonder what the ToonTown versions will be like.

Forgot to mention that Seth was measuring 70 second dispatch intervals for the vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
The queue and preshow are so custom, I wonder what the ToonTown versions will be like.

Forgot to mention that Seth was measuring 70 second dispatch intervals for the vehicles.
Instead of just Chinese Theater lobby and posters, Disneyland’s will showcase “props” used in classic cartoons from Disney. They should be getting the same preshow, but with the El Capitoon theater design in the room.

At least a Goofy just says “step into the cartoon” in the preshow, and not “cartoon WORLD”, so it’ll still work without changes.

It’s a shame Disney is blocking the song for this online, especially since it’s so catchy. But I get it.

6EAE5CEF-FD56-464F-8917-3B7FCB49B298.jpeg

3047F693-5DD1-41CD-B967-5F01289BA3B4.jpeg
So I’ve been thinking about that tornado scene and I was wondering what is it the possibility of it being a repurposed fountain scene because the fountain scene used to spin... I know it’s far fetched but I’ve been thinking about it

Though looking at povs the choice i like the most, the final scene
its not flashy its kinda quiet and the song turning into a proper vocal chorus, reminds me so much of the classic disney productions would end like that as a "happy ending"
i just like that :) all thats missing is a massive book opening or closing ;p

I think as others have said, having projections or even textured lighting on the floor in a couple scenes would help. But I also felt like having scenery suspended from the ceiling in the center of the rooms now and again would be nice too. There is a sense of everything happening around the perimeter of each room, to allow the RVs to move about in the middle. I’ve talked about the upcoming Beauty and the Beast ride probably having this issue. What’s the point of incredible AAs, or effects in this case, if the ride still feels “empty”.
I'm not saying the floors couldn't have used something, but I felt like I was looking around so much that I wasn't really looking at the floors. Of course, I was in the last row of the last car, so I was in a better position to be blocked a bit. I'm sure my view will change over time a bit. I agree thinking back, there were certain rooms that, imo, were a bit too big and thus felt a bit hollow.

I'll be interested if this ride ever sees any updates over time seeing as it's pretty much all projection mapped. Updating this ride could be fairly painless to do.

All that said, I enjoy it, I am excited to ride it with my nieces who are too short to ride many of the attractions in the park currently. They’re going to love it to death. I love the Original song. Love the effects. Love the horn playing squid.

And definitely love a ride with a fast moving queue. Even waiting an hour never felt that bad. I forgot what it was like to go to the opening of a new ride and being able to actually ride it without stressing.
This ride, while it has it's issues, is a big for the park. Just the fact that it has no height requirement is huge. Even Saucers has a 32" requirement. Kids will love the ride and adults can enjoy it too. Again, it's not something that will blow you away, but it is a nice fun attraction for the family that will put a smile on your face.

All the positives though and me being someone who was ready to let go of GMR (imo they either had to upgrade it or it was just going to be a time machine ride of 1939-1984 movie history until the end of time), I look at this ride and say "Is it good enough?" and I really don't know at this point. If this attraction had been an *actual* addition to the park, which it should've been, I would have no hesitation saying this is a great new family ride. But it's a replacement and unfortunately, it will always be following the footsteps of a beloved ride.

Reading posts on Magic, which is primarily a Disney fan site, I was surprised how critical and nitpicky so many of the posters comments were from yesterday and today. A pretty mixed bag of reactions. ...Here on IU, a predominantly Universal site, the reviews were mostly positive and much fairer. Score one for the IU members :thumbsup:

There are some projections on the floors, seeing them in the underwater scene in my pov footage. I’ll be looking closer on my next ride.

Reading posts on Magic, which is primarily a Disney fan site, I was surprised how critical and nitpicky so many of the posters comments were from yesterday and today. A pretty mixed bag of reactions. ...Here on IU, a predominantly Universal site, the reviews were mostly positive and much fairer. Score one for the IU members :thumbsup:
That doesn’t surprise me about Magic at all. They tend to overhype everything as a game-changing E Ticket and get pretty upset when it’s not.

That doesn’t surprise me about Magic at all. They tend to overhype everything as a game-changing E Ticket and get pretty upset when it’s not.
you are soooo right. ...yes, everything can't be a Super E ticket....there's a place for good fun rides that aren't top of the mountain.....and yeah, I really shouldn't have used the word 'surprise'. Negativity is kind of their MO at this point in time, except for the game changers. Those they'' jump off a cliff to sing the praises. ....Funny thing about Smugglers Run. Before the land opened everyone over there called it an E ticket, as Disney also did. All of a sudden it's now a D ticket and supposedly was always a D ticket in planning stages too. They have short memories me thinks. :lol:

you are soooo right. ...yes, everything can't be a Super E ticket....there's a place for good fun rides that aren't top of the mountain.....and yeah, I really shouldn't have used the word 'surprise'. Negativity is kind of their MO at this point in time, except for the game changers. Those they'' jump off a cliff to sing the praises. ....Funny thing about Smugglers Run. Before the land opened everyone over there called it an E ticket, as Disney also did. All of a sudden it's now a D ticket and supposedly was always a D ticket in planning stages too. They have short memories me thinks. :lol:
If more people listened to Martin over there, less would be surprised at what the final product is. I basically scroll through threads there simply to read his posts. If you follow the tea leaves of things he says, you know what to expect out of pretty much every ride before they open. But nothing can beat actually riding the rides, which most of those people you're talking about probably haven't even done.

If more people listened to Martin over there, less would be surprised at what the final product is. I basically scroll through threads there simply to read his posts. If you follow the tea leaves of things he says, you know what to expect out of pretty much every ride before they open.
Yes, I've said the same thing about Marni on here many times. He's hands down, the best Insider for Orlando info, even though he lives in the UK where the Magic owner also lives, ironically.

From the POV's I've seen this looks to be a wonderful family option in the middle of a completely revitalized park. I'm highly impressed with the quality of attractions that Disney has been producing of late.

I'm amazed at the projection technology, the showscenes, and some of the scene transitions within the actual scenes. I feel like I'm in the cartoon and I'm watching from 800 miles away.

I've not been a huge fan of Disney in the past but I would be willingly to pay money to see this and their newest attractions. Well done!

I completely get a classic Disney feel from this attraction even though it is using tons of projections. Is it a good replacement for the Great Movie ride ? ...I’m not really sure but I do think Mickey deserved his own attraction.

This is going to be a HUGE hit with families and much more popular than the great movie ride, wether it’s considered “better” or not.

now get to building that Indy ride...the park is still way too short on rides.

also fix Rise while you’re at it.