Moana 2 (2024) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Moana 2 (2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So this originally was supposed to be a Disney+ series, but now it's being converted into a movie.

And no songs from Lin-Manuel Miranda.

As much as I like the original, this just doesn't instill confidence.

What’s the point of the film if the songs are going to be written by someone else, meaning that the entire vibe of the film will be off.

Reactions: Rhian
What’s the point of the film if the songs are going to be written by someone else, meaning that the entire vibe of the film will be off.

Right? When a film takes off and the music has a pretty distinctive style/flavor to it, it would make sense to keep the same song writers and whatnot. But if you bring a different artist into play, they can fall into the trap of having that artist try to emulate the previous one. And as I learned with Wish, I'm not fond of others trying to emulate LMM's style.

The new song writers for this are apparently Abigail Barlow & Emily Bear, who are most known for the Unofficial Bridgerton Musical. Great for them and all, but this can go south real quick with the shoes they're trying to fill.

Right? When a film takes off and the music has a pretty distinctive style/flavor to it, it would make sense to keep the same song writers and whatnot. But if you bring a different artist into play, they can fall into the trap of having that artist try to emulate the previous one. And as I learned with Wish, I'm not fond of others trying to emulate LMM's style.

The new song writers for this are apparently Abigail Barlow & Emily Bear, who are most known for the Unofficial Bridgerton Musical. Great for them and all, but this can go south real quick with the shoes they're trying to fill.
It would’ve been fine… as a streaming show. But not a proper sequel film.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Clive

It's just indicative of the reality that this was conceived and developed as a television show. You're not going to get LMM for that, and now they have to quickly slap together a feature version based on existing materials, so you can't afford/don't have time to rehire LMM and redo all the songs.

I'd love to be wrong - I'd love for this to work - but I'm not optimistic.

I didn't realize there was a Disney+ series in development. This is a genius move. Obviously they considered the quality before moving it to theatrical but even if it doesn't measure up to the original, it's a smart BUSINESS move.

Hell, all films should be going theatrical. It's a failed business model and Disney especially has lost the most revenue of anyone from going straight to streaming vs the theatrical/digital/physical/then streaming..

Reactions: Clive
It's just indicative of the reality that this was conceived and developed as a television show. You're not going to get LMM for that, and now they have to quickly slap together a feature version based on existing materials, so you can't afford/don't have time to rehire LMM and redo all the songs.

I'd love to be wrong - I'd love for this to work - but I'm not optimistic.
Honestly I wish they would delay this until next year so they could bring LMM in on this and just overall have more time to polish this up from a show to a movie.

I didn't realize there was a Disney+ series in development. This is a genius move. Obviously they considered the quality before moving it to theatrical but even if it doesn't measure up to the original, it's a smart BUSINESS move.

Hell, all films should be going theatrical. It's a failed business model and Disney especially has lost the most revenue of anyone from going straight to streaming vs the theatrical/digital/physical/then streaming..
This wasn’t a film though which is the concern…

Last edited:
Reactions: GA-MBIT