Ms. Marvel (Disney+) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Ms. Marvel (Disney+)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have to say first that whoever is picking out the music for Marvel’s trailers lately is on a roll. More importantly though, this once again feels like something new that we haven’t really seen from Marvel.

John campea mentioned the trailer had a John Hughes feel to it even more than something like Spider-Man: Homecoming and I have to agree. The trailer did its job for me as it raised my excitement level significantly.

This is also a good show to run simultaneously with Obi-Wan as I don’t think it will be everyone’s cup of tea, so it’s sort of counter programming the dark of Obi-Wan with a seemingly light and fun show.

So… for people who read the comics (or just have decent knowledge of her) how does everyone feel about her new power shift?
I think it's more than likely a budgetary thing, there's no way that you could animate her comic powers and not have them look really janky without a movie-scale budget. It's easier to hide all of the flaws if it's glowing and not meant to be realistic anyway.

I think it's more than likely a budgetary thing, there's no way that you could animate her comic powers and not have them look really janky without a movie-scale budget. It's easier to hide all of the flaws if it's glowing and not meant to be realistic anyway.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at in a post yesterday. I think they may get to giving her the powers, but it's an origin so they can have her be a little less powerful as she hasn't "leveled up" yet. Once she does and she's in a movie, then I think anything goes.

With 90 reviews, Ms. Marvel is sitting at a 94% right now. Many people are comparing the tone of the show to the Spider-Man films and many are saying that Iman Velani is really good in the role.

The one thing that I’ve heard, that seems to be a bit of a theme with MCU shows, is that people are mixed on whether this show has enough to fill out six episodes or if it should’ve just been a movie. Media was only shown episodes 1 & 2, so they’ve basically only seen an hour and a half. Hopefully it’s as good as it has the potential to be. MCU shows always seem to start out really good and then have a problem sticking the landing.

10/10 art direction, I totally get why they changed the powers.

8.5/10 overall for me, and my pakistani girlfriend gave it a thumbs up for authentic family dynamics
I did like her family alot

They for sure love her....even if they are holding her too tight but she goes through this in the comics as well

I'm not sure about her powers yet....I wish she was more like in the comics....because she is like Spiderman not over powered but her new powers seem much more like Green Lanterns power

Reactions: Grabnar
So it took me awhile to get around to watching this and I wish I had watched it sooner. By far the best pilot episode for an MCU show and I would dare to call this a perfect first episode. The casting is great all around, the writing from Bisha K. Ali was really good (gave me a lot of John Hughes/Tom Holland Spider-Man vibes) the acting is really good, the art style used throughout was brilliant (reminded me a lot of Into The Spiderverse) and the general direction by Adil & Bilall I loved, too.

If they keep this up, I could easily see this being my favorite MCU show and not only that, but Ms. Marvel going from a character I only knew from playing The Avengers game and now just having 50 minutes of seeing her in the MCU to a character I can't wait to see alongside Monica Rambeau and Captain Marvel in The Marvels. I actually think The Marvels may actually be saved by how much people like Monica and Kamala (and Secret Invasion being a lead in show) because we know Carol Danvers (or I should say Brie Larson's portrayal) is one that hasn't exactly been received with high enthusiasm.

Also, Mid-Credits scene in the first episode was a surprise. I think we went all of Moon Knight without any mid-credits scenes.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Didn’t enjoy this episode as much as last week, but it was still an okay episode. There was definitely some big weak spots though.

Last edited:
So, if these numbers are any indication, there's no way future Star Wars/Marvel overlap will have the same release date. Obi-Wan has overshadowed Ms. Marvel on Wednesday's and I feel like Ms. Marvel hasn't been promoted quite like a show that has a ton of friendly fire to overcome, either.

She is Muslim, not a AAA known hero like Cap or Thor, and unlike Moonknight isn't being played by a famous actor....also the marketing makes it seem like its for teens....along with the Marvels film being a year away and Obi Wan the same day along with tons of other shows, video games and movies people want to watch

Sadly...It makes sense.

Episode 2 was also a really cool episode

She is Muslim, not a AAA known hero like Cap or Thor, and unlike Moonknight isn't being played by a famous actor....also the marketing makes it seem like its for teens....along with the Marvels film being a year away and Obi Wan the same day along with tons of other shows, video games and movies people want to watch

Sadly...It makes sense.

Episode 2 was also a really cool episode
I mean, the show is basically Spider-Man: Homecoming, but with a Muslim girl who finds out she has cosmic powers instead of a Caucasian male who has spider abilities.

Homecoming is made as a teen movie in the same John Hughes vein but most people don’t have an issue with it.

I mean, the show is basically Spider-Man: Homecoming, but with a Muslim girl who finds out she has cosmic powers instead of a Caucasian male who has spider abilities.

Homecoming is made as a teen movie in the same John Hughes vein but most people don’t have an issue with it.
I agree

I'm liking it, but there are soooo many factors. Same as Buzz, also maybe Disney is finally getting some push back from the public as well

I've seen for years people say they are done with Disney....Disneyland and the parks say otherwise but not all their films are hitting where they'd like to be and also over saturation is a thing. Like I'm like Miss Marvel but we all kinda know how its going to end...the good guys win
Loki and Wanda go against this...but also think why they stand out to others but most MCU are Good Guys somehow beats the bad guy and then they set up season 2...by holding back a cool villain, side character or plot. Look at Moon Knight, I loved it but I've seen good points about Jake in that show...he was handled very poorly by the end and basically hidden because of season 2.

Like I said think lots of factors

I agree

I'm liking it, but there are soooo many factors. Same as Buzz, also maybe Disney is finally getting some push back from the public as well

I've seen for years people say they are done with Disney....Disneyland and the parks say otherwise but not all their films are hitting where they'd like to be and also over saturation is a thing. Like I'm like Miss Marvel but we all kinda know how its going to end...the good guys win
Loki and Wanda go against this...but also think why they stand out to others but most MCU are Good Guys somehow beats the bad guy and then they set up season 2...by holding back a cool villain, side character or plot. Look at Moon Knight, I loved it but I've seen good points about Jake in that show...he was handled very poorly by the end and basically hidden because of season 2.

Like I said think lots of factors
It's an origin story though. All origin stories are going to end with the good guy winning.

I do think Disney has hit a Phase Four slump a bit. Not to say things are bad, but things aren't as consistently good as they used to be. Although when you go from 3-4 projects a year to 7-8, the quality is almost bound to take a hit, unfortunately and the repetitiveness of some of these storylines is going to become more evident.

They are creating so many different "pocket universes" within the MCU though that it's getting hard to keep up, though. It's getting convoluted. This is how I see it -

Gods/Celestial - Thor, Eternals, Moon Knight, Star-Lord (half-celestial),
Street Level - Hawkeye, Kate Bishop, Daredevil, Echo, Kingpin, Jessica Jones, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Patriot, etc.
Cosmic - Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau, Blue Marvel, Kingo, Ikaris, Sersi, etc.
Mystic - Doctor Strange, Scarlett Witch, Wong, America Chavez, Mordo, Shang-Chi, Ned(?), etc.
Quantum - Ant-Man, Wasp, Kang, TVA, Cassie/Stature, etc.
Dark - Blade, Werewolf By Night, Black Knight, etc.
Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers(?) - US Agent, Yelena Belova, Red Hulk, Thunderbolt Ross, Punisher(?), Deadpool(?)
Mutate/Mutant - Hulk, She-Hulk, X-Men (eventually), Scarlett Witch, etc.

There's just a lot going on right now :lol:

It's an origin story though. All origin stories are going to end with the good guy winning.

I do think Disney has hit a Phase Four slump a bit. Not to say things are bad, but things aren't as consistently good as they used to be. Although when you go from 3-4 projects a year to 7-8, the quality is almost bound to take a hit, unfortunately and the repetitiveness of some of these storylines is going to become more evident.

They are creating so many different "pocket universes" within the MCU though that it's getting hard to keep up, though. It's getting convoluted. This is how I see it -

Gods/Celestial - Thor, Eternals, Moon Knight, Star-Lord (half-celestial),
Street Level - Hawkeye, Kate Bishop, Daredevil, Echo, Kingpin, Jessica Jones, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Patriot, etc.
Cosmic - Ms. Marvel, Captain Marvel, Monica Rambeau, Blue Marvel, Kingo, Ikaris, Sersi, etc.
Mystic - Doctor Strange, Scarlett Witch, Wong, America Chavez, Mordo, Shang-Chi, Ned(?), etc.
Dark - Blade, Werewolf By Night, Black Knight, etc.
Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers(?) - US Agent, Yelena Belova, Red Hulk, Thunderbolt Ross, Punisher(?), Deadpool(?)
Mutate/Mutant - Hulk, She-Hulk, X-Men (eventually), Scarlett Witch, etc.

There's just a lot going on right now :lol:
I mean...but what if they dont?

Thats fine, especially when they are young and this isn't world ending...hell Hawkeye might have been a much better show if Kate lost and got a taste of the real world

But its just one of the factors...and I hope this show gets a second life after the Marvels but hopefully that film looks better then the first one.

Anyway I'm enjoying the show and think besides her powers now going to be OP at some point its a fun show that has the second best kinda family in the MCU...i forgot about Ant man's family they are pretty well done as well

So i'm not sure how everyone feels, but I don't care. This is the best Disney+ Marvel show to this point in the series (I'll say roughly three hours in rather than three episodes as WandaVision had more, but shorter episodes). The most important part to me is if it can stick the landing though which has been tough for most Marvel series' to do.

I love how relatable this show is even if you aren't Muslim. It shows how similar we all are despite racial differences. She may be a muslim girl from a muslim family, but I can relate a ton to her brother or the parents love of Bon Jovi (i've been to so many Bon Jovi concerts growing up being from the northeast). I also like that that love of Bon Jovi wasn't just a throwaway line last week, but something that was picked up on again this week.

There's still not a ton to talk about spoiler wise (Other than the Djinn being revealed as our main antagonists and the Ten Rings insignia seen during the 1943 flashback at the beginning of the episode in British occupied India, connecting Ms. Marvel to Shang-Chi), but I just find the show a joy to watch. All three episodes have been vastly better than any episode of Obi-Wan and it's a shame that the show has been overshadowed by that show so far.

I hope that word of mouth gets people to watch this after it’s over

just something about how the family acts feels real

sucks the villains just had to go villain in one episode but hopefully they get deeper before the end

Reactions: Nick and Grabnar